1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you take out ext'd warrenties cos its new technology?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paulr, Dec 6, 2004.

1. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Any logic to that?
    Comet 105 notes for 5 years,if it go's wrong in that time you might also get a replacement with newer technology.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    I never bother with Extended Warranties on things like this - odds are if it goes wrong it will do so in the first 12 months - and your covered then anyway. For a £2000 plasma then fair enough - but for a DVD recorder it's just not worth it (unless it happens to be a Philips model).

3. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Also.. although this is a little more complicated, if something goes wrong after 12 months, you should still be able to get it repaired for free.

This is the responsobility of the shop.

Basically when they sell you something it is covered by the sale of goods act which states that it must be of a reasonable quality and last for a 'reasonable length of time'. The 'reasonable length of time' is a bit ambiguous but for a DVD recorder is probably about 6-9 years, although in scotland it is capped at 5 years. However this is a legal obligation of the shop and if it breaks down before a 'reasonable time' it is up to the shop to sort it.

The difficulty is that the defect which caused the breakdown has to have existed when you bought it, ie some slightly dodgy soldering, design fault etc, something which under normal use would have caused it to break down before a 'reasonable length of time'...

have fun
    Steve

4. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I got 3yr cover from RS for £29.99. If I don't claim on it, I get the money back. Supposedly :)