Do you take off your outdoor shoes when visiting folk.

I had a few friends to mine on Saturday night. One lady, who had never been to my house before, turned up, took her shoes off and pulled out a pair of slippers :thumbsup:

This whole question about shoes in houses is completely down to how people are raised and how they do things their own way. It's no different to asking if people hold doors open for others, or how far away someone has to be before you don't hold the door (about 5 seconds/ 10 meters for me). All personal preference imo, no right or wrong way.

"Don't forget to take your shoes off lads"

_ibya-embassy_1970282i.jpg

Who wants dirty shoes in their home?
Couldn't care less. We've got a hoover and a carpet vac....and a three year old that makes more mess than any adult in some dirty shoes :rotfl:

The next people will say is that they put their feet (in shoes) on the sofa/bed when relaxing!

Sacre bleu! The rough people!

Got to love shoe politics! Always take my shoes off at other peoples properties, even if they tell me not to. Unless of course it is a s@$t hole, then i'd ask if they wanted me to take my shoes off. Always feel awkward asking other people to take their shoes off at our place, so we've trained our 4 & 6 year old daughters to do it, they don't take no for an answer :)

Got to love shoe politics! Always take my shoes off at other peoples properties, even if they tell me not to. Unless of course it is a s@$t hole, then i'd ask if they wanted me to take my shoes off. Always feel awkward asking other people to take their shoes off at our place, so we've trained our 4 & 6 year old daughters to do it, they don't take no for an answer :)

Management material right here :thumbsup::laugh:

i always offer to take my shoes off when visiting other peoples houses. But that is the way i was brought up. 50 years on and it has stuck. i respect other people's property and would hope that other people would respect mine too.
Exactly so.
I take my shoes off when visiting. I can't expect people to take them off at mine if I don't do the same at theirs
Aside from it being cleaner to remove shoes, it's so much comfier to go without shoes in the house.
It's seems a strange habit to actually choose to wear shoes in the house.

"Don't forget to take your shoes off lads"

_ibya-embassy_1970282i.jpg

...looks like the lad at the top of the ladder is ahead of the game and already has put his indoor shoes on. :smashin:
As much as I wouldn't be overly happy about folk coming in through an upstairs window, I think I'd insist that the lads leave their guns in the hallway, otherwise you'd be seriously in danger of getting your wallpaper scuffed to buggery.

:nono:

Do shoe removers also take their shoes off when they go into a nice hotel, out of respect for the property, or is this only a domestic arrangement?

when I'm in my room then yes as I'm normally chilling on the bed etc..

just out of habit - as when I was at school I'd go home and get changed into other clothes (from my uniform) and it's something I still do now...nothing worse than wearing decent new clothes for lounging about in ime..20 year old jeans and t-shirts all the way... :)

when I'm in my room then yes as I'm normally chilling on the bed etc..

just out of habit - as when I was at school I'd go home and get changed into other clothes (from my uniform) and it's something I still do now...nothing worse than wearing decent new clothes for lounging about in ime..20 year old jeans and t-shirts all the way... :)

Same here on both accounts.

I just wondered would people remove their shoes in the foyer or corridors of a nice hotel, or anywhere else they might find themselves that had soft pile carpets as it's seen as being the respectful thing to do in someone else's property.
I don't remove my shoes, though in my own house I normally wear slippers (Homeys FTW), but that's more for comfort than protecting the flooring from outside dirt.

I'm the same and have cats so anything decent gets holes poked in it and covered in hair so I change as soon as I get into the house into my scruffy clothes.

Friends are always surprised if they pop around unannounced as I'm always so smart looking normally.

I'm the same and have cats so anything decent gets holes poked in it and covered in hair so I change as soon as I get into the house into my scruffy clothes.

Friends are always surprised if they pop around unannounced as I'm always so smart looking normally.

yeah, we had some in-laws pop around yesterday, my lady was still in her dressing gown... was 2:30pm too..!

just wondered would people remove their shoes in the foyer or corridors of a nice hotel, or anywhere else they might find themselves that had soft pile carpets
The thinking there is that you are paying to visit their property, so if that includes the cost of regularly cleaning the carpets that's all part of the fee. At least I'd imagine that's the thinking, the hotels I go to don't usually have soft pile carpets :)

The thinking there is that you are paying to visit their property, so if that includes the cost of regularly cleaning the carpets that's all part of the fee. At least I'd imagine that's the thinking, the hotels I go to don't usually have soft pile carpets :)

Hotel probably wasn't the best example.
An accountant friend works from an office at the rear of his house. It's not in the house, but at his property. He has wooden flooring at the entrance, but inside it's the same carpet as inside his main property.
I'm just wondering what the cut-off point is for folk who think it's out of order to bring dirt inside. Would they remove their shoes in this instance?

I'd never take my shoes off at a business unless required (i.e. swimming pool etc) - as I'd be very much in the minority and would end up in my socks / feet being manky :(

Do shoe removers also take their shoes off when they go into a nice hotel, out of respect for the property, or is this only a domestic arrangement?

A place with high foot traffic of unknown pollutants? Once in the room, give yourself some slack. Assume it's ok. Otherwise it'd be ocd.

Once I get in my room yes. But it's as much about comfort as respect in that case.
Chaimbermaids are awesome but they can't carpet-shampoo every room, every day.

I just wondered would people remove their shoes in the foyer or corridors of a nice hotel

I'd probably remove my trousers if it was a free bar (corporate event)*

*:(

A place with high foot traffic of unknown pollutants? Once in the room, give yourself some slack. Assume it's ok. Otherwise it'd be ocd.

Chaimbermaids are awesome but they can't carpet-shampoo every room, every day.

I'd probably remove my trousers if it was a free bar (corporate event)*
*:(

So a bit like being a weekend vegan then?

Would those who wear shoes in the house still keep them on in someone else’s house if you could see that they weren’t wearing shoes indoors? Or would you only remove them if you were asked?

P.s. If it’s the latter you’re officially scummy.

I don't wear shoes in my house but don't care if others do.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom