1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you switch your TAG gear off or leave it in Standby

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Miron, Jun 1, 2005.

?
  1. OFF

16 vote(s)
    18.0%
  2. STANDBY

68 vote(s)
    76.4%
  3. Some units OFF / Some units STANDBY

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Do you switch your TAG gear off or leave it in Standby when not in use?

I usually leave my top loader in standby, switch tuner off, and leave DP mostly in standby.

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I used to leave all my gear in standby, but now I switch it all off when not in use. The reason is that it's more friendly to the enviroment :smashin: Something that is becoming a more and more serious responsibility :)

3. Mr Yakimoto

Mr Yakimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I personally leave all mine in Standby Mode (unless I know I am not going to use it for weeks or going on holiday). I was lead to believe that this is best for the equipment (ie not starting up/shutting down)

Is this not the case?

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It's better for performance from start of use to leave em on, but I think you will find that there are quite a few hours in the year when you are effectively wearing out the kit without using it. I am quite energy concious, so I'd rather help the world I live in as much as possible :)

5. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    From memory the 100x5r uses 30w when turned on and 25w when in standby,m so you do need to ask yourself is it worth it using standby?

6. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The last time I switched my TAGgear off, I put on ebay....

7. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It takes about 3watts when in standby as all power amps are switched off from the mains supply and only the micro board is left running via it's standby transformer.

8. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    My mistake it was the AV32r nto the amp that takes the 25watts, funny how the av manual states this but the amp doesn't appear to.

9. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My av192 consumes about 67watts in standby

10. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    It must light up the room!!

11. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for that Simon.

I always wondered just how much it was sucking up. I know it keeps the whole cabinet warm - rather like an incubator - and probably accounts for the draft that brings all that dust in.

12. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I only switch my DP unit off when I go on holidays or prolonged weekends without use. I seem to remember there was a discussion over at the old, old forum that it was a good idea to have the unit all warmed up...

Anyway, it's just easier that way... :)

13. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    An AV192R uses 67W in standby...... Are you sure about that? The manual don't say that....

Anyway, the forum is full of people that turned off their kit only to find it didn't come back on.... Saving the enviroment is one thing but having a big hole in your rack whilst it gets fixed is another..... I only ever turned the kit off once due to building work and it had a real head fit getting it to work again, never again........

14. singletrailer

singletrailer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I asked my dealer for advice on this question. He recommended to keep it running - not even putting it into standby - with all the displays shut off. His argument was that the elkos (? - I am no technician) decay only when they don't "enjoy" any electrical current.

Maybe one of the TAG engineers can shed some light on this issue? All of us would very much appreciate this :hiya:

15. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've been shutting mine down completely since the start of the year and it hasn't misbehaved at all :)

16. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

17. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Blimey....... Mine has everything as well....... That is a lot of standby juice...... I don't think I'll measure mine it would be too depressing...

18. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    And long may it continue...

19. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Dont worry about the odd 69W guys!.....I sometimes worry about the Krells turning over 1.5kW at all times,so I do turn those off,but not the AV32R,since it gets about 20hrs worth of electricity for every one for the amps.

20. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Realistcally would you say 95% of that standing current is dissipated via heat? Do you suffer from line sag at all?

21. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    At best,a Class A amp is about 20% efficient,so the power amps turn over most of the standing current at idle as heat,hence the fans in older Krells(like mine)whereas the newer ones,and a few other designs have a sliding bias system,where standing current is ramped up as output level increases,and slowly dropped down,but always keeping the output stages in Class A.

Line sag...yes...enough to dim the lights if they arent all powered up separately,and enough when we moved in to blow the downstairs ring main fuse...all sorted now though!.

22. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Is there any real point in a class A design these days, i've not heard one outperform a decent modern design for some time.... Of course if you already have a class A amp your not goign to flog it "just because" but I wonder if you would consider another class A in the future (assuming you could buy one)? Just curious really.

23. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think we've been throught this one before Graham!...it does come down to personal preferences as well,but Krell,Levinson,Gryphon etc do very well in the upper high end markets with Class A designs,and there are many aspects of some of the older Class A amps(Krell and Levinson in particular)which can still leave most modern amps behind,but particularly in the areas of bass power and control,the best I've ever heard being the Levinson 20.5.

I'd say though that a poorly designed one,or with an inadequate PSU,will sound poor,and good PSU design for this class of amps has always been a high cost item,even in valve amps(esp SETs).

I'd certainly consider a good Class A again,but that brings price into the equation as none of them are cheap,and it would have to be a sliding bias design this time to deal with heat and power dissipation.

Then of course you have all the Class A valve amps....another realm altogether,mostly with awful lab figures,but often with stunning midrange character.

Just depends on whether or not you like the design principles and the sound.....

24. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Indeed, I suppose the future is looking more switch mode amp style which I suppose if they get it right is the best of worth worlds. A couple of switch mode amps are beginning to look promising but I have this nagging doubt about huge mains contamination. Mind you all those mains conditioners people buy might then have something to do :devil:

25. tony @ suffolk

tony @ suffolk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I posted about this problem in another thread, but alas that's what's happened to my DVD32R. It's now with IAG who've now told the dealer they can't find anything wrong! And before any of you ask, I did try all the obvious things first.

I've had this problem in the past before, once when we had a power cut one night & it just refused to come back on but then worked fine the next day. Then a similar thing happened agian except this time it didn't "Recover" (if such a thing is possible with an electrical device anyway!)

It went back to TAG & I took the opportunity of having it fitted with the video processing module (Sneaked it under the wife's radar). I never got to learn what the fault was, and now I'm wondering if they actually fixed anything at all. Very mystifying!

Needless to say, when I eventually get it back I'm going to be very loath to switch it off under any circumstances! :mad:

26. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Perhaps so...the Tact amps and some of the other switching amps are beginning to get some very good reviews,although I havent tried one for myself.
    I think with a good,well screened switch mode PSU,mains contamination ought(and thats the word...ought) to be low,given that Chord and Linn can design very good ones with little mains interference,if any.
    Conventional transformer/rectifier/cap supplies can also be pretty bad for interference,if an article I read a while back by Paul Miller is true of many,in that those with huge caps can result in very high current draw transiently as the caps charge.

Getting back to the original topic though,I do switch all the gear off if we have lightning nearby,as our mains is all overhead,and very prone to strikes,and one of our PC's got thoroughly cooked a couple of yrs ago.

27. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I'll wager its heat related and at IAG's repair shed they just don't get it warm enough to upset it...... I'll also assume that eventually it will fail permenently.....then it will be rather easier to spot the fault hopefully....

28. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My money is on a combination of heat and dodgy joint somewhere in the power supply. Probably a bit of rough handling compliments of the courier made it work again... for a while. Personally I would of resoldered everything in sight and also check for anything that looks like it may of got hot some time (heat damage on the PCB, brownish components etc.).

29. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Blimey this is like going back to the days of fixing SONY and Ferguson TV's, if they ever find a cure for a dry joint they will make a lot of money.....

30. tony @ suffolk

tony @ suffolk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks Graham & Steve. Depressingly, it makes good sense! :(