Do you support the Johnson UK-EU deal [17 October version]?

Do you support the Johnson UK-EU deal [17 October version]?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hampy1972

Juncker still looks drunk from last night............ these cronies running the EU (laughable, a bad joke, a mustard burp) good riddance I say!

I would like to know whats in the deal first.

Hampy1972

That's a fair point - the legal text is yet to be seen - but detail is being pushed out and the vote allows people to change their vote as many times as they wish.
Great, can I voted LEAVE 500 million times and once to REMAIN ? :)

Hampy1972

Can't be any worse that Treason MAY teabag deal...............

Cliff

Distinguished Member
I support it. It is a withdrawal agreement, and provided we are not locked in, as per backstop, it is a good compromise.
Once the details come out we will have more to go on.

blackrod

I think any deal is worse than our current deal in the EU. However, I think we need to either revoke or leave with a deal. To draw a line under this awful stage we need to move on so I would vote for this if I was an MP in the Commons.

EarthRod

Distinguished Member
The key to this is parliament.

If the deal is voted through parliament, we will have to see what conditions are likely to be attached.

kav

Distinguished Member
From what I've read so far, it's basically May's deal without the backstop. Happy to be corrected if that's wrong.

Seems to be a reasonable basis to progress to the next stage.

Aj33

From what I've read so far, it's basically May's deal without the backstop. Happy to be corrected if that's wrong.
I believe in addition, it allows us to sign free trade deals which Mays deal did not allow for.

BJ has so far done what many said was impossible and rubbished. Even saw a congratulatory tweet from Jeremy Hunt using the words “fair play” and “Bravo”. Oh and not in a sarcastic manner.

EDIT: also adds NI consent going forward. I’m sure there are other things I have missed.

kav

Distinguished Member
I believe in addition, it allows us to sign free trade deals which Mays deal did not allow for.

BJ has so far done what many said was impossible and rubbished. Even saw a congratulatory tweet from Jeremy Hunt using the words “fair play” and “Bravo”. Oh and not in a sarcastic manner.

EDIT: also adds NI consent going forward. I’m sure there are other things I have missed.
Thanks. Just got this summary via twitter:
"What you need to know about the Brexit deal in 7 Tweets" What you need to know about the Brexit deal in 7 Tweets

simsini

Brexit is about who has power over the UK. Is it the EU, or our own government, whomever we choose to elect. The deal is acceptable if the EU has no say in our internal affairs and no influence over any future deals or negotiations we have with other countries such as Australia and the USA. For example as a member of the EU, the Wallonia government in Belgium has a veto over an FTAs we can sign, which is sheer lunacy.

IronGiant

A cautious yes, pending details.

kav

Distinguished Member
Reading all the comments about deal being done, it looks like the EU is happy. It's not clear yet if the UK government will be happy. If they are happy enough to ratify it on Saturday it should be job done. I imagine that means Boris will turn back to schmooozing whoever he needs to schmooze within the UK over the next day or so to make Saturday's session in Parliament a success.

IronGiant

Quelle Surprise :)

simsini

Panavision

I wasn't sure either, but what swung it for leaving with no deal for you?
It makes the UK very fragile. NI has been annexed because there is now a border in the Irish Sea. We are slowly breaking up British territory, making ourselves weaker. Self-determination? Yes, but it will come at a heavy price. I'd rather remain than accept this shoddy deal.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Yes ( maybe ) if it is proved to be the best possible compromise on the WA. No deal is out for me and if parliament continue to follow party lines and block it I can see the EU saying enough is enough, no extension , goodbye. Either way its a win win scenario for Johnson in my opinion.

kav

Distinguished Member
It makes the UK very fragile. NI has been annexed because there is now a border in the Irish Sea. We are slowly breaking up British territory, making ourselves weaker. Self-determination? Yes, but it will come at a heavy price. I'd rather remain than accept this shoddy deal.
Completely agree that the UK is shooting itself in the foot in the name of sovereignty. However it's been said repeatedly here and elsewhere: people don't really care about the impacts, they just want out. At this stage there's not really any point holding the process up.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Yet remain isn’t one of the two options in this poll 😂 So you saying No against the proposed deal means you prefer to leave without a deal. I must admit I was surprised by your answer.

gamerste

Boris has gone to DFS and paid full price for a sofa.
He once said no Tory government could or should sign up to any arrangement that sees regulatory checks down the Irish sea.
So what's changed now?
Also they can arrange deals without parliamentary approval so in theory sell off the NHS without anyone doing anything about it.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Boris has gone to DFS and paid full price for a sofa.
He once said no Tory government could or should sign up to any arrangement that sees regulatory checks down the Irish sea.
So what's changed now?
Also they can arrange deals without parliamentary approval so in theory sell off the NHS without anyone doing anything about it.
What would your compromise proposal have been?

Stuey1

What?

How does parliament not approve of them trying to arrange a deal, they implied we should be trying to leave with a deal as they removed no-deal as an option - as for selling the NHS off that's just nonsense

gamerste

What?

How does parliament not approve of them trying to arrange a deal, they implied we should be trying to leave with a deal as they removed no-deal as an option - as for selling the NHS off that's just nonsense
As talking about deals after brexit not brexit itself

Synchro

Accept it and lets move on quickly. Enough time has been wasted already.

gamerste

What would your compromise proposal have been?
Again this deal is worse than the may deal.
At least there was Standards and workers rights he is deregulating.
Trade deals after the WA will be much tougher with the EU.
He's going cap in hand to the US.
That's clear as day with this deal.

Trending threads

Latest news

Disney+ hits 10 million subscribers after first 24 hours
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sharp unveils 30-inch rollable OLED TV
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
ATC launches C1 Sub Mk2 active subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett