Question Do you supersample ?

grant666uk

New to this Rift thing and last night was playing zombie sunshine game. Set to ultra with 1.5 supersample. Today I played again but used the in app fps counter and it looked like it was running at 45fps. So 90 without or 45 with. This is on a Gtx 1070. So who uses it ???

ArmitageShanks

I use it at around 1.2 on a Vive (which is already supersampling more than a Rift to begin with). It runs mostly fine at that level on a 1080. On something with SLI support like Raw Data, I can crank it up much further.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
I only have gtx980 . If the individual app had supersampling built in I sometimes try but as a general rule no, when I upgrade however I will push it to the max (hopefully a gtx 2070 / 2080 next year)

Given the choice of 90fps without SS or 45fps relying on ASW your decision is easy imo. FPS is king in vr. ASW is a nice crutch for the odd dip but not designed to be relied on.

ArmitageShanks

Agreed - FPS over clarity any day, especially with the hideous reprojection judder on the Vive. Some people seem to run theirs at 1.5 or more on lesser rigs than mine - I'm not sure how they do it without suffering a brain hemorrhage.

grant666uk

Yea I have stopped using it. Going with in game settings.

ArmitageShanks

I use a 2x supersample with everything. Really makes a huge improvement. I'm sporting a GTX 1080.

The batcave environment in Steam is a great place to see the benefits of supersampling. Look at the displays. Steam Workshop :: Batcave
I think they've changed the SS scale in SteamVR now to be more linear? In which case 2.0 equates to roughly 1.4 on the old scale. I must check my settings...

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom