1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You See RAINBOWS part 2 (Definitive)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by G a f f e r, Apr 11, 2004.

?
  1. could see and used to bother me --- still can see and does bother me

24 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. could see and used to bother me --- still can see but doesn't bother me

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. could see but didn't bother me --- still can see and does bother me

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. could see but didn't bother me --- still can see but doesn't bother me

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. could see and used to bother me --- now can't see

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. could see but didn't bother me --- now can't see

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  7. couldn't see before --- now can see and does bother me

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  8. couldn't see before --- now can see but doesn't bother me

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. couldn't see before --- can't see now

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    OK.
    On the basis that many people apparently switched from seeing to not seeing or similar, I've altered the poll to see if this gives a more useful result.

I'm sorry if you voted in the last one :oops: , those results still count, but lots of you think the Poll should be a bit more detailed to be useful.

So here it is.

:lease: bear with me and vote again - the USA version of this poll lasted 4 hours and still managed quite a few votes with very interesting results - would be nice to see how we differ/are similar.

Remember, USED TO refers to when you previously decided to buy /review a projector (eg your last purchase).
    NOW applies to if you had to shortlist and buy a projector now.

Obviously, these therefore apply to projectors you would feasibly shortlist, ie those in the current price range of your existing projector. This hopefully makes the poll more useful and realistic.

I won't make the poll any more complicated as there are many many permutations/conditions I could add, and this one seems the best without being too nitpicky...

2. iansimpson888

iansimpson888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I never saw whilst demoing. Never saw after I purchased. -COULDN'T SEE-
    Heard about rainbows & read about them, began to see them, bothered me. -SAW & BOTHERED-
    Couldn't see anymore (after 2 months). -CAN'T SEE-

Which box shall I tick?

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Can I ask Why? A poll is of little or no use to anyone buying or considering buying as every individual is different and can only determine their susceptibility from actual 'long term' viewing.

I'm just wondering what benefit any individual (you or other) expects to get from such a poll.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    In theory, it should show a percentage of the populous that can see rainbows, but I've seen these polls over at avs a few times now, and it varied from around 2% of people seeing them to almost 100%, so unfortunately they're not that accurate way to guage the true percentage.

Like you say though - you've no idea if you're going to see them unless you actualy demo a DLP. It's a pity though, because if it was a low percentage (which I believe it is), then you could play Russian roulette when buying DLP knowing that you've only a small chance (say 50 to 1) in seeing them. That of course doesn't take Sods's Law into acount. ;)

Edit: or my bad spelling. :D

Gary.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ...or rather a percentage of forum members (who bother to vote...)................

Sorry, I'm with Messiah on this one....... if you had a chance of getting everyone who had seen both dlp and lcd projectors to vote you might at least draw some conclusions, but the inescapably wide range of options in the poll and the low number of repondants will end up telling you nothing more than what you know already........ some people see "rainbows" with dlp projectors, and some of those people are affected by them more than others.

The answer here is for prospective buyers to get decent demos of the projectors they are considering............. now where have I heard that before........

Sean G.

6. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I was totally against DLP after seeing the first consumer models. (Davis etc)
    I saw the colour flashes nearly all the time, yet the people i was with thought i was making it up.
    Eventually the term "Rainbows" was coined, and i at least had a name why DLP was off the menu for me.
    Sim came out with the double speed colour wheels(DM) models, and although it did reduce the rainbows, they were still there for me.

I actually saw a similiar effect to rainbows with my CRT projector!
    I was only after other members started posting that they saw them too, that people started to believe me:suicide:

After the realisation that no projector is perfect in every area(even the mighty CRT!), i started to wonder if DLP might be worth the odd rainbow flash as they tend to be good in most other areas.

Seeing the Immersive Virtuoso at "Event2" made my mind up!
    I didn't feel the image to be the "best" i had seen, rather that it was "best" i had seen from a digital.

I auditioned the Marantz S3, and was stunned to find that i didn't see any rainbows.
    Taking a big risk, i bought one straight away.
    I was crapping it that i might have just made a very big mistake if rainbows spoiled everything.

Well it's six months now, and i'm happy to report that rainbows are a very rare occurence.
    In normal lit scenes they are no where to be seen. Even the classic head shakes fail to produce them.
    If they are to be seen, it needs a black background and white text(or lines).
    Even then they are very mild, and very brief.

Like any artifact that isn't visiable most of the time, i tend to view it as not an issue.
    Not to say isn't still a problem, rather that if everything else is spot on then it is a compromise i'm willing to make.(to others it may not be etc)

So i voted, "could see and used to bother me --- now can't see".
    But i put this more down to the advancements in DLP technology, rather than me getting used to them.;)

7. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    If 50Hz flicker bothers you on a CRT, then there is a strong possibility that you'll see rainbows on a DLP IMO...

8. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,473
    Well, a good idea with the new poll, but my comments will be similar to the ones I posted last time!
    As I said before, with over 20 people regularly watching my Z91E, I have not had one - note, not one - comment about headaches, flashes etc. Believe me I would say if I had, as I don't care as my family definitely can't see them and if others can, well tough!
    So why such a high percentage here???
    And, where are they seeing them?? Don't know about you guys, but I don't flit round from house to house looking for rainbows. Come to think of it, don't know any houses with PJ's except one LCD guy 10 mins away!
    Methinks that maybe just one or two voters with LCDs may be voting without having seen a DLP. But surely not, that would be silly...

9. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Thanx for the votes everyone.
    Interesting results - suggests that most people visiting these pages do have a problem, so the segments & speeds of the wheels have to increase before DLPs become more widely acceptable.

btw - the poll is only as a point of interest and discussion, not really definitive I know :)

pps. despite seeing rainbows now and before, it's only a matter of time before we get 10+ segment wheels at 10xspeed or more (by which time I'll be looking for a new projector :D )