Do You Really Know What You've Bought?

Wasn´t your opinion about the TAG mostly built before you plugged the toy in
NO
Clearly not!
Two and a half years ago, I heard it for the first time and was delighted (knew nothing about TMA at that point of time), only I could not afford it!
One year later I heard DVD32R and was delighted again!
Last year I brought AV32R home and simply could not give it away. After that I did the same with DVD32R

And yes, now I am biased, but WAS NOT before
Cheers

In my opinion (it is important to bold this) it did not sound soooo good, maybe just good in some average terms, but nothing special. Compared to Alpha 10 it was way back.

Isn't the point here to compare to the NAD T571 which is based on the same platform and not comparing against a totally different class, especially comparing an AV reiceiver against a stereo amplifier like the Alpha 10? Not quite fair, is it ... !?

Of course you may not like a certain product and perhaps the AVR-100 isn't what you were looking for, but it might still be better than the similar NAD receiver ...

That might be, but I had no chance to check NAD. I assume NAD also did some tunung there
Cheers
P.S. I like Arcam ,had many toys from them but dislike AVR100

Plump,

You are right, me, I am too lazy to try different stuff, (cables not included, as info is not reliable), except for few audio shows and friends houses... I read a lot, (for instance here), so I only take home what I am pretty sure I will like... and I never had to return anything, (except a Plinius amp that the dealer pushed really hard)...

Of course I briefly audition speakers, before I bring them home, and I could return anything I didn´t like...

I found out at some point of time, that there is no alternative to doing audition at home.
It is lousy sometimes and requires nerves, but at the end the satisfaction is there! And that fullfills me sometimes!
Cheers

I have this friend that loves to audition everything, in the end he buys the same I did... ;)

Anyway he was very helpful when I needed to buy a better center to match my fronts, he carried, and tested, four of them, (of course he had the same problem, as we have the same speakers), I just had to go there in the end to confirm his findings and order my new center... :D

Thanks to my friend...

This really is ironic!:rolleyes:

I've been looking at lots of other sites and past posts here. The reason is I'm looking to change my amp, a Yamaha A2.

And the amp that looks favourite? The Arcam AVR200!!!!:blush:

The 100 looked poor to me considering its price and with what NAD had to offer at the same time. There are a lot of posts about its shortcomings and flaws, operationally, not musically. Quite a few people posted about it in the past and talked about its common chasis etc etc etc. The 200 is also built on the same chasis as the 100 but with a lot of tweaks and connectivity. Sorry if my post was really just repetition.

Anyway, the 200 looks likea good amp overall. I'm not interested in climbing the model tree, but want good sound quality. The best I can get sub £1000. The Yamaha is by far a more versatile beast, but the Arcam (from what I've read) should sound better. That is my priority. DSP modes no longer really interest me.

So I'll get a demo to hear for myself to see if Arcam really can produce what I'm after, even though I have doubts about the OEM (as it were) chasis!

Only one question to be answered specs wise, are the op amps in the 200 of better quality than than the 100? I ask as the 100 was underpowered in the Stuart M. Robinson review.

This is a good deal, I know two happy owners, bought this one.

Why?
Can you break it down for me. I'm interested in why/what etc made you chose this amp. More so now that you've had it a little while.
What did you have before, how does it compare?
What speakers do you have?
How big is your room and so on.

I'd really appreciate your opinion on it. Thanks in advance for anything you've got to say about it.

Originally posted by General Skanky
Why?
Can you break it down for me. I'm interested in why/what etc made you chose this amp. More so now that you've had it a little while.
What did you have before, how does it compare?
What speakers do you have?
How big is your room and so on.

I'd really appreciate your opinion on it. Thanks in advance for anything you've got to say about it.

1. I have a Yamaha DSP-AX1, but I have connected up two different systems for friends who bought the Arcam mail order. I am an expert :D ( to them ).
2. The Arcam was chosen in preference to Sony STR-AV555ES / Denon 3802. The Sony was proving difficult to obtain and the Denon was readily available but consensus ( forum members )was the Arcam is better with normal stereo CD replay. The Empire Direct price swung it, after first checking it's the latest DPL2 version.
3. One system is Kef KHT-2005 " eggs " , other has Mission 77 Cinema pack from RS, both packages bought long before Uncle Eric's Gallo Power Buy, which probably would be their choice now.
4. Egg room is about 14 feet x 12 feet with high Victorian ceiling, Mission room is about 10 feet x 8 feet with low modern ceiling.
5. I have watched films and heard CDs through both systems and think the AVR200 is money well spent, it's audio performance and features are fine for £595.
6. I'm not saying the Arcam is better than the Sony or Denon.
7. It's only a suggestion ....... :)

General,

I am with you, and wearing my asbestos suit... ;)

I am very open, regardless of what others think, I know my TAG AV32R is the more expensive piece of equipment I own, but still I have to admit the improvement from adding a Rotel power to my Onkyo receiver was better than adding the TAG afterwards...

Again, an AV processor is more about upgradeability and features than performance, sorry, my experience...

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom