1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you really care for Extras?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by GarethH, Jul 28, 2001.

1. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When buying DVD's i always look at what extras they have. However, it got me thinking. If i look up at my collection of over 50 DVD's, most of them i've never even watched one of the extras. Though i'd like to, i just can never be bothered to sit down and watch them.

Ok, so i do like to listen to Directors commentaries, but apart from that i never use the rest of the extras available. Are you the same?

2. SagaLout

SagaLout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Depends on the film. Discs that I have watched every second of include:

Lawrence of Arabia
    Bridge on the River Kwai
    Magnolia
    Seven

Most of the others I havent really watched, or have maybe watched some of, eg, Sixth Sense, Matrix.

I find alot of the featurettes very badly presented. Basically if its a film I really love and I can learn more about it and how it was made the I will watch it, otherwise I just cant be @rsed.

3. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would personaly pref a higher bit rate pic and sound to the extras

extras are ok and some of them even quite good . but most of us watch them once ,if that . a lot of the making ofs and stuff apear on the tv at some time anyway

4. TJSMANGINA

TJSMANGINA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    id rather see a better picture an sound quality instead of extra`s myself,then again the studio`s would probably charge more again lol just because they have improved the quality.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I only ever watch the extras if i am insanely bored!

Adam

6. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    A good film with no extras is much better than an average film with loads of extras
    IMO
    I like to watch the "making ofs" but the rest of the stuff is a watch once and forget about it job
    I'd rather have a better transfer & DTS than any extras like someone else said earlier ...
    Paul ;)

7. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally think that it depends on the actual film in question.

For example, films such as CE3K or T2 are ground breaking. Both contain very informative documentaries that give a keen insight into the creative process involved in their conception. For me the actual extras were just as rewarding as the movies themselves.

However, I recently bought both region 1 versions of "The Long Riders" & "Southern Comfort". Although enjoyable movies, neither is a cinematic milestone, so I did not worry about the lack of extras.

My rule of thumb is thus. For those mainstream, everyday titles, no extras are necessary. Just a good print will suffice. For movies of stature and relevance to the art form, they are a necessity.

However, for movies with no extras, I would prefer to see a budget price.

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Don't care for extras but if they are there then it's ok, given that quality of sound and pic won't suffer and I don't have to pay them extra.

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    HI,

In one word....

Aboslutely, yes, yes, yes!

For me, the extras CAN be just as important as the film itself. However, I do judge each title on its own merits, as I have bought discs with lots of extras, and those with just a trailer or no extras.

If all discs suddenly became extras-free, then I may as well revert back to VHS. After all, the great thing about DVD (bar the superb audio and visual quality) is that there is space for other materials, and not just the movie.

When companies can create excellent DVD's like "Chicken Run" (with a DTS soundtrack and extras), or "Gladiator" or "Terminator 2", then I don't understand how those who don't add extras state that there isn't enough room, as that answer is complete crap!

Extras should be included on almost all DVD's, in my opinion. Then, those who watch them, will do so, and those that don't, can choose to leave them.

As long as the film has been given a good picture and sound release, then there should be no complaints.

Pooch

10. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Nope - I'm not usually interested in any of the extra's. I wish they would release films utilising the disc space provided purely for the audio visual.

Why don't the film companies just release special editions of all fims which essentially would have a second disc containing the extra's (like Disney recently did with Tarzan & Dinosaur)? This would then keep everyone happy! :)

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Matt,

Alternatively, you and anyone else who hates extras or never watches them, could simply stick to buying Region 2 DVD's, as they are almost always extra-free! :D :D :D

Pooch

12. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Pooch,

I don't hate them I just would simply rather have a better picture and audio!

The more extra's they squeeze on to one disc then the less space is afforded to the film (ie reduced bit rate).

I would rather the quality than the quantity.