Do you ramp up the in-game-gamma to see in the dark?

Do you ramp up the in-game-gamma to see in the dark?

• No, that's cheating

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • No, never considered it. Good idea, though

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I can see fine

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • No, I won't sacrifice the picture quality

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Yes, in some games

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • Yes, in most games

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • What's gamma?

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Thinking about how I've ramped up the gamma in some games in order to see the enemies easier - particularly in dark games like AvP, do you sacrifice a 'better' picture quality for pseudo night-vision by doing the same?

ive chosen
'No, I won't sacrifice the picture quality'
but ive never thought of it really, and i reckon its on the verge of cheating

Mine is usually set-up correctly as the screens/processors are calibrated and mostly have good dark detail.

However, there are definitely some games that are way too dark and I put it down to the games themselves. Then I have to adjust using the in game adjustments (e.g. those gamma settings where you must change it until only one symbol is visible on the black background etc).

I do. All the time. Especially in games like Red Orchestra, it also helps with viewing distances.

No leave it set well alone, like the picture as good as possible or what's the point, Blacks are black. End of story. ;) And hate seeing them poor.
If you don't care however then that's up to you..

Ugh, LCD blacks are bad enough at times without making them more grey.

No way! It would be sacriledge to defile the beautiful deep blacks my panny plasma produces.

Settings are ok across the board. :)

Thinking of games like Metro 2033 and other dark games, not sure if silent hill is on the pc or not, but we have torche's, lamps, night vision, heat vision etc to help us see in the dark in game's.
If I turn the gamma up in order to see more, it simply spoils the atmosphere. I just put my torch on or suddenly get jumped by some nasty in the dark.
Not that I ever jump, but you get the idea :)

tris

Thinking of games like Metro 2033 and other dark games, not sure if silent hill is on the pc or not, but we have torche's, lamps, night vision, heat vision etc to help us see in the dark in game's.
If I turn the gamma up in order to see more, it simply spoils the atmosphere. I just put my torch on or suddenly get jumped by some nasty in the dark.
Not that I ever jump, but you get the idea :)

tris

Never played Condemned mate? First time play with some headphones/ramped up audio and you will. :devil:

No, its cheating.

If the game was that dark it's because it's intentional to how it's meant to be played

Never played Condemned mate? First time play with some headphones/ramped up audio and you will. :devil:

hehe yep I played that in the dark on my projector with my full surround on, got a fair way through it and never jumped :rolleyes: I'm just not a jumpy person.

Dont suppose condemned is available on the pc? Never seen a pc version, only ever had it on console.

tris

hehe yep I played that in the dark on my projector with my full surround on, got a fair way through it and never jumped :rolleyes: I'm just not a jumpy person.

Dont suppose condemned is available on the pc? Never seen a pc version, only ever had it on console.

tris

hmm, was a few moments, ah well.

Yep it's available, probably cheap as too. Quite a ok looking game for 5yrs old also, 360 version which i first played looked decent too.

Back to thread topic but yeah may have adjusted the odd game back to how it should be with the in game calibrations as some differ but to ramp it up wildly, no never done that. Couldn't either.

No, I won't sacrifice the picture quality :thumbsup:

set as it should be, pointless playing any other way.

Condemned on Pc is a classic played this though 3 times, and even supports EAX, DirectSound3D though so Alchemy needs tobe used, class game gutted the second was not on Pc:( wanted this for online play.

Last edited:
No, I won't sacrifice the picture quality :thumbsup:

set as it should be, pointless playing any other way.

Condemned on Pc is a classic played this though 3 times, and even supports EAX, DirectSound3D though so Alchemy needs tobe used, class game gutted the second was not on Pc:( wanted this for online play.

The cheapest pc version of condemned I can find is just short of £15 :rotfl:

I'm not prepared to pay that for it when I get offered about 10 or 20p offered to me for my pc trade in's that old.

I'll wait till I find it in a charity shop or something for a couple quid, possibly less.

My mates cranks up the brightness on his tv or monitor in dark games because he can't see, it spoils the quality as it gives it a grey tint across the entire image :rolleyes:

tris

just a quick look here,
2 quid here , if your near the store
CeX (UK) Gaming, PC Gaming, PC Games, Condemned (18)

or 7 quid here
Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: White Label: Condemned (PC DVD)

but i would pay full price for this game as the game play is so repayable :cool:

yours Roy Orbison :thumbsup:

The cheapest pc version of condemned I can find is just short of £15 :rotfl:

I'm not prepared to pay that for it when I get offered about 10 or 20p offered to me for my pc trade in's that old.

I'll wait till I find it in a charity shop or something for a couple quid, possibly less.

My mates cranks up the brightness on his tv or monitor in dark games because he can't see, it spoils the quality as it gives it a grey tint across the entire image :rolleyes:

tris

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
just a quick look here,
2 quid here , if your near the store
CeX (UK) Gaming, PC Gaming, PC Games, Condemned (18)

or 7 quid here
Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: White Label: Condemned (PC DVD)

but i would pay full price for this game as the game play is so repayable :cool:

yours Roy Orbison :thumbsup:

Found them, but I'm no where near any of those store's, and I wont pay above a couple of quid for it as I'm a cheap tight git ;)

I'll pick it up cheap as chips eventually, probably end up being online via ebay or cex when they have online stock.

tris

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I do this sometimes, theres some games that if you dont you just cant see whats ahead of you.

the only game i remember doing this for is Counterstrike Source. Mainly for the REALLY dark corner by the hut on Nuke.

I tweak the in-game brightness sometimes if the option is there but i generally don't change my tv settings at all once its setup.

I voted 'No, I won't sacrifice the picture quality'. However I have done it before, but can't remember which game it was.

Youre all silly. Ill pwn you with my superior vision.

PWN PWN PWN PWN.

:D :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom