do you notice any jaggies on PS3 games?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by d4v34, Apr 22, 2007.

1. d4v34

d4v34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,
    I went into a Sony centre today and finally saw my first PS3 (yeah I know where have I been), running GT HD on a 1080 Sony panel - just amazing graphics, even the girlfriend was impressed with how real the graphics looked - especially the people. For someone who is normally singularly unimpressed with video games that's no mean feat.

Now before I ask the next question I should state that I have no idea what resolution the PS3 was set to, this is the only PS3 game I've seen in the flesh and that currently I own neither a PS3 (got one on order from Great Universal though), a 360 (sold mine after the Zephyr rumours and before it died on me) or a Wii. So no fanboi missiles please :)

I did notice that the car in the distance suffered from jaggies until it came closer to the virtual camera and then the lines cleaned up and looked fine.
    I'm used to seeing this on the GT games on the PS2 as it's a processing limitation of the PS2 (no hardware AA so software AA on the closest or user controlled objects).
    I never noticed this on the any videos of GT HD or Resistance so I was a little taken aback to see it.
    Is this consistent with what others see? Does Resistance suffer from it too?

Cheers
    Dave

2. small358786

small358786
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    And how close were you to what size screen?

3. Sporran

Sporran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    i know what you mean, GTHD does have a few jaggies im running a Bravia 32" using hdmi @ 1080i

Resistance though does not seemto suffer from this, i guess its more to do with the colour palette it uses.

4. Sqweeky Badger

Sqweeky Badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    some screens suffer more than others this may not be fact but il tell you what ive seen

i have a lg 26 inch and when sat 7 or 8 feet away i don't notice any at all.
    especily when my screen has been on a while,

a friend of mine (who i know has a keen eye for this stuff, slinky:smashin: ) just put gt hd and sat there looking for jaggies and dident find one, but on mine i managed to find one or two on the spoiler of some cars, on my farthers 50'' plasma i dident see one on RFOM, and my sisters boyfriend has a samsung 32'' hd crt (aside from bad geometry) on testdrive it does not have single one...

so there are so many variables to consider when trying to iron out jaggies, some times is down to the screen and sometimes its devs being afrad to use AA, but i think that this time its down to the screen, on a panasonic viera lcd there are NON

sorry for all the friend of a friend of a boyfriends sister stuff(would you really want to know there names:D )

5. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    To be fair the GT HD demo is just that a demo. It's quite possible the final product will not suffer from this. Hopefully it won't.

6. Travis1970

Travis1970
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Putting things into perspective, both of these titles are launch titles.

I have never noticed anything amiss in GT:HD, but have noticed a few little niggles like this in Resistance..

Considering developers are saying current games are using about 30% of the systems capabilities (and based on how much later PS2 titles look, compared to launch PS2 titles), I do think there is anything to worry about. The Playstation consoles have always taken time to get the best out of.

7. d4v34

d4v34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could well have been the panel and my proximity to it, as for the size it was probably a 40 - 42" and I was quite close to the screen but I think the way the jaggies resolved themselves as they got closer to the user and then reappeared as the car moved away was soo famililar to the PS2 characteristics I wondered if they're using a heavily modfied PS2 engine.
    Anyway it's just my observations and like someone said, this is a demo and maybe that'll be resolved in the released version.

Cheers

8. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    fight night is a wierd one. the fighters look amazing but the ropes are quite heavily aliased in places. its not down to the resolution/screen size either, its as is some of the graphics are just low res themselfs.