Do you need help picking a projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by frozenblaze, Jan 19, 2008.

1. frozenblaze

frozenblaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If so, here's a great little story about my experience worth reading (I hope), to help you not WORRY will it be perfect...

Background - I love electronic technology, and earn a decent wage so I can buy some nice gear. My current settup includes - PS3, Xbox360 w/ HDDVD, Yamaha 1800 HD amp, Sony 7.1 surround speakers, 46" XBR Sony Bravia 1080P LCD. I though maybe the time was for a projector, but have never used one before...

So a year ago I purchased a Panasonic 1080P PT-AE1000E. I loved it at first, blown away that it gives a much more cinemtaic experience which my sony 46" LCD could only dream of, but then I had my problems.

I started reading furiously over forum's as I noted that my PT-AE1000E had a slight misconvergance. Furious of spending all this money and finding I purchased a dud, I swapped only to have one which was worse.

Being able to sell it for what the new PT-AE2000 would be imported, I changed for this NEW and IMPROVED model. Guess what, it had misconvergance too.

So at this stage, loving the big size experience, but anoying my wife, and my own enjoyment by worrying " Is the picture clear enough", I sold and swapped for a 4th unit. Now do I change brand, or stay with the same.

The seller explained all 3LCD technologies have this problem, and it was normal. On forums people would claim "If I recieved that, I would certainly swap it/ or it does afect sharpness".

In the end I recieved a unit which has perfect Convergance! But do you know what, IT LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME FROM SEATED DISTANCE WITH NO DIFFERENCE IN SHARPNESS OR DETAIL!!!

So my point to the story is buy a projector as its the best experience especially for $$$, but dont read too many "Problem forums" or worry too much is "Epson better, maybe Mitsubishi". Fact is, in same sort of price range/spec they are all fantastic.

Im actually enjoying the projector now and not looking for faults, and hope this liitle (Or Long) story can help anyone who may be confused on the matter too :)

2. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Surely a convergence problem would be quite evident - red, blue or green colour banding... not a clarity issue?

Are you confusing it with SmoothScreen, which makes the panasonic projectors look a little blurry? That's by design. Some like it, some hate it. It's down to how your eyes/brain percieve it, which is individual. My old AE900 used to wear me out because my eyes kept trying to refocus the image... which is at the extreme end of the reaction scale I expect.

I disagree somewhat in that you should research a projector before buying it and make an informed choice. They all have their issues, and you decide based on whether the particular problem reported matters to you or not. This may mean spending more, less or the same as you expected. Just buying solely on price - especially when you're spending £2000+ on the item - is a bad idea.

OTOH having bought one, knowing its (potential) problems, unless it's something you need to call the dealer to get corrected then that's the time to stop comparing and start enjoying it.

3. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    MC is inherent to three chip design be it LCD, LCOS or DLP based products. Sometimes people confuse MC with chromatic aberration (CA). The fact is it is more likely for a PJ (even expensive models) to exhibit one or both of these syptoms than not. Even mono chip DLP suffers from CA that looks similar to MC.

With normal video material at "typical" viewing distance relative to screen size it may have no perceivable affect on PQ (depending on the degree of error) . Using computer generatated images, text and test patterns it may be more noticeable. If the error is bad it will affect image clarity to some degree. It may not be noticeable unless you have a reference image to compare.

This will be a problem for some people and my advice is to see the actual unit your are planning to buy before you commit. Bear in mind that the installation can also affect performance in this area due to the specific lens zoom and shift position.

AVI

4. jacko5

jacko5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    The point AVI makes about chromatic abberation is absolutely right.
    If I display a white grid with my recently acquired Sharp XV-Z21000 I observe some colour fringing, which had it been on a 3 chip machine I would have put down to a slight misconvergence not dissimilar to that experienced on my HD1. The image by the way is razor sharp from a few feet to normal viewing distance.
    I think the CA or MC has to be very bad to affect image sharpness as experienced by a few owners of the early Sony VW50.

5. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    Some interesting stuff on the effect of MC on the image. Select the CineAlta 15.02.06 review and scroll down to about the three quarter point. This is a rather expensive PJ (£60k+)

http://www.cine4home.com/

AVI