1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you need a sub with full range speakers?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Epoman, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    If you have quality full range speakers i.e, ones that go down to 22hz is there any point in having a sub that only goes to 23hz? Would it not simply be better to connect the speakers at speaker level and forget about the dedicated subwoofer input? :confused:

Or am I missing the point? (probably)

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Speaking from my experience...

Dunno what my 30 yr old Celestion Ditton 33s go down to but they are fairly big and sound deep. I did without a sub for many years. The sub has added a whole new dimension to music and especially films.

I think treating the ".1" discretely using a powerful active sub is the most telling factor in my setup, rather than (as before) munging the ".1" across the front main speakers. Also the main speakers now have less work to do, hence they sound less stressed when the power is really cranked up.

I would think that even the most capable main speakers would benefit from a sub. You probably want to budget appropriately though ie don't compromise top end speakers with a budget sub...PJ

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you have speakers that produce meaningful output at 22Hz there is probably little point in having a sub that only goes down to 23Hz but speakers that can perfom to that extent are very few and far between and very expensive.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Excellent point.

Also, with a separate sub you can usually balance/control* the low end more precisely...PJ

*for balance/control read "pump up the volume" :D

5. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    it depends on how cleanly your speakers hit 23hz get a spl meter and measure the output.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As IanJ has rightly said,the numbers of speakers that produce meaningful,(and by that you would assume not only reasonable levels,but also relatively distortion free),bass extension to 20Hz or below,are both few,and expensive.

Speakers that can go these depths would include things like the B&W 800D,Wilson System 7 and MAXX,and Linn's now defunct Keltiks,and current Komri....there are others,but the point is that none of these are cheap,and all require good,high power/high current amplification to make anything like the most out of them.

I've had an active system running 3 Krells and Keltiks,and the bass power,control and extension is superb,even when compared to a truly good active sub,but even the 2nd hand worth of that system was in excess of £10k....a good active sub,properly integrated with a more modest speaker system will give you more than a taste of that,for a fraction of the price.