do you miss making Mix Tapes ?

dazza1011

Novice Member
i was having a clear out the other day and came across a cassette with 'Summer Mix 95' written in Letraset ( remember that )on it and got rather nostalgic to the old days ( yes only 13 years ago ) of me and my mate making a mix tape for our holiday to Magalluf sat in his bedroom with 2 turntables and a Tandy mixer and a pile of records.

when i dig my tape player out of the loft im going to give it a listen and post the tracklisting ( if i can remember any of the tracks :Dbut it's bound to have " I Am The Resurrection" on it )

so do you still have any knocking around and in the current world of MP3's downloads and Ipod playlists does anyone miss the mix tape.

incidently i have an Ipod but never really use the playlist function as it just doesnt have the same feel of picking songs out and trying to fit them on to 90 minutes of tape.

smashie

Novice Member
he he good question mate, the short answer is no i don't miss 'em, the long answer is i don't miss 'em because i'm still banging 'em out albeit in mp3 format with the help of a program called deckadance and a behringer BCD 3000 dj controller as well as ableton live and an m-audio axiom 25, you should check out youtube the are loads of vids of bedroom djs arseing about on their pcs and macs..:thumbsup:

Paul_Man

Dude I miss that sh*t. I feel your pain.
I sold my CDJ100's 5 years back on ebay and have regretted it recently.
I've tried to fill the gap with various "professional" PC software programmes but they don't come close (or even match a beat actually).
Thing is, I'm too old to buy some new decks. In fact, when I say the word "decks" i immediately think of Christmas Decorations.

signs

Banned
I've tried to fill the gap with various "professional" PC software programmes but they don't come close (or even match a beat actually).
Thing is, I'm too old to buy some new decks. In fact, when I say the word "decks" i immediately think of Christmas Decorations.
:rotfl: :smashin::smashin:

smashie

Novice Member
i think you'd be suprised how far some of the software has come along, granted drum and bass and hip hop can still provide beat matching glitches but that can mostly mostly be sorted with a bit of manual beat tapping, and the most reliable way is still to do it all by ear rather than just hit the sync button...:smashin: i suggest grabbing a second hand midi controller say a behringer or hercules and giving them a spin for old times sake, i'm 37 and still kicking it mate, even tho it is just to a sleppy cat in the spare bedroom:D

isayisay

Novice Member
What the old pause button mix tapes?fun at the time but its much easier now to burn a cd or fill your ipod up with trax.Ive still got some of my old pause mix tapes from 86 wow what a year.my best memory was taping from the top 40 around nov 87 when i heard those famous words "brothers and sisters i dont know what this world is coming too" rebel without a pause intro-PUBLIC ENEMY from IT TAKES A NATION OF MILLIONS TO HOLD US BACK a true classic album 20 years since its release this summer by the way.:thumbsup:

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Do I miss making compiltions and mix tapes? No for two reasons. 1) I still make compilations and mixes, and 2) I don't miss cassettes!

I totally embrace the digital age, and often wonder to myself how we managed without it! MP3's have entirely transformed the way I listen to music. I started with cassettes (Being born in the 80's I missed vinyl really) and moved onto CD's. I found Minidisc around the beginning/mid 90's and thought it was fantastic - all the benefits of CD's and cassettes, but without thier drawbacks!!!! I still play a few Minidiscs now, but MP3 has even made me, a firm beliver in MD's, switch over. My PC is my music library, I rarely play CD's nowadays. My hifi is just the thing that takes the signal from the PC and sends it to the speakers these days.... Ipod has allowed me to carry my entire music collection with me wherever I go, so I can listen to it all day long in my van @ work and anywhere else I go.

In a retro way, I sometimes think what the kids of today and tomorrow will miss out on - making mix tapes was fun! I'd love to give a kid a cassette recorder and a bunch of cassettes and see how confused they look when you ask them to make a mix tape!

But MP3 has revolutionised the music world, and I think for the better.... :)

I was thinking of making one today actually. Classic mixed to rock. I might do it.

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
A few months ago - in my loft - I found an old tape which had the label "Sy Mix 95", it was a tape which me and my mate Simon did on a couple of technics and a crap mixer.

It brought back brilliant memories of me and him - off our heads on Es - and really thinking we were Jeremy Healy. The mixing is atrocious, though the tunes are brilliant - spanned from Jimmi Polo "Better Days" through to Everything But the Girl's "Missing". I particularly liked my mix of Kathy Brown's "Turn Me out" (Acapella) over the top of Josh Wink's "Higher State of Consciousness".

Brilliant times. So, yes I do miss making 'mix tapes' and I would love to be able to transfer that tape to MP3 so I could email it to Simon (who I 'met' recently again on Facebook).

Budice

Standard Member
So, yes I do miss making 'mix tapes' and I would love to be able to transfer that tape to MP3 so I could email it to Simon (who I 'met' recently again on Facebook).
I saw just the thing for you today in that case then mate. A tape to PC piece of kit in PCWorld right along with the vinyl to PC deck there as well

Spligsey

My bruv was a fantastic mixer. He could do the lot. His scratching, blending and timing were top draw. I always told him to send his tapes in to DMC etc, but he just did it for the hobby. Still remember his scratching/transforming of Trouble Funk's "Pump Me Up" - bloody great. We used to tune in to the main stations and pirates back in the day, and he mullered almost everyone. I really believe he could've been a pro DJ (if he could've been arsed).
Can still visualize him and his mate - with tunes like Paul Hardcastle - Rain Forest/Forest Fire, a B&O Beo-centre :D - couple of Tech 1210's & a stack of records......

kmark40

Novice Member
I saw just the thing for you today in that case then mate. A tape to PC piece of kit in PCWorld right along with the vinyl to PC deck there as well
Have you got a link to that. Want to transfer the audio tapes of an old language course to mp3. Need to refresh my spanish!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom