1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you lend your DVD's out?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Gary D, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    This is more of a companion to the "How big is your DVD collection" thread. I noticed reading through that thread that there are those of us who buy loads and those that only buy small amounts but "Borrow" from friends. thus letting the friend spend his/her hard earned on th disc so they can watch it.

this led me to think how many of us lend our DVD's out?

My rule of thumb is "sod off and buy your own im not a video shop" i buy them for me not for my sister in law to have and give to her friends so i never see it again.

I have one friend who can have whatever he likes but he is also a collector and has loads - he also treats them with respect and i know that they never go further than his veiwing room. but everyone else can take a running jump (including my mum - who NEVER gives them back - if your reading this i know you still have my copy of "East is East" from two years ago!)

Gary

2. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    There are people that i do lend DVD's off of myself, but they are mainly films i am thinking of buying so i lend them to see if they are actually worth adding to my collection.

I also have no problem lending mine out, as long as its not regular (like every week), if they take the p :censored: s then i tell em

One mate i wont lend them to as he lost a dvd i lent him in the past (although he did replace it) ive also notice I always have to collect DVDs from him, rather than him returning them to me, so he can sod off.

3. leapfrog

leapfrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I lend my dvds out fairly freely, but if someone returns a dvd damaged, they take too long to return it or if I have to go chasing them for it, then I never loan dvds out to that person again.

4. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have around 400 dvd's, and I do lend them out to family and some friends...

But... I always write down what I've loaned, and they don't get another out on loan until they return the one they've got...

5. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I only loan any of my possessions to those I know will treat them in the same manner as I.

At present this total 3 people.

6. alle v

alle v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...Only a few and to very select people :)

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a collection worth mentioning so borrowing chances are a bit limited.

7. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +961
    only really 1 other person gets their mitts on my discs nowadays, I don't often borrow any from him in return though, which strangely enough makes him feel guilty :rolleyes: .

What I don't like is when family come round and start looking through my movies and pulling them off the shelf, arranging them in a nice pile that they obviously intend to take home with them... before they've even asked if they can. If they asked first they could save themselves the trouble of stacking them up as there's no way they'd be leaving my house with them regardless :rolleyes:

How many times have I had to use the phrase "do you see a sign outside my door that says free DVD rental here?" ??? Family are always the worst as they're the least likely to actually bring them back. My dad held on to some for around 6 months and even then didn't watch most of them. I'm sure he's still got a couple that have now somehow become "his" :nono:

8. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I do, but I shouldn't really - they never seem to return them in a timely manner (i.e. less than a few months...)
    this is thwe score -
    lent one to my girlfriends sister, she still hasn't got her DVD setup - but, at least I know I'll get it back.
    lent one to my girlfriends friends new boyfriend who she has since decided that she just wants to be friends with...will I ever see that again..?
    and some colleagues at work who've had them, for almost 2 months...

its just not worth the flamin' hassle... :rolleyes:

9. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    ever since somebody borrowed one and subsequently copied it I dont lend anything anymore

10. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I lend them to friends who I know have stuff I want to borrow off them, whether it be DVDs, games, or talents (ie fixing my pc!). But I have a friend like graham.myers, and he borrowed a few boxsets, and found out he copied them, and he has had nothing since.

Why should I spend 30/40 quid on something for them to copy it, and give me nothing in return!

It's just not cricket!

Oh and if I do lend them out I write them all in a book, and everyone knows this, so they even remind me to note what they are taking!

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Nope. Two reasons.

1. Last time I did this two came backed scratched (blamed on their DVD player) and one had sticky finger prints on it (blamed on visitors kids)
    2. I always have to go asking to get them back. Not just DVDs mind you. Happens with everything - pressure washers, strimmers, the lot. Even my DVD recordables with things like Top Gear seem to stay 'missing' for weeks.

As said above, it's just not worth the flaming hassle. It's easier to say NO thatn deal with it afterwards. And I am probably one of the most generous blokes going but I just hate it when people take the p**s.

12. leapfrog

leapfrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What about when you have lent something to someone, only to find out they have lent it to someone else, I have lost a few dvds this way.

If you are good enough to lend something to somebody, they could at least treat it with a bit of respect.

13. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826

Yes but people dont. for some reason people dont care, that why i never lend mine out. i've been called alsorts of names by my family but at the end of the day it water off a ducks back.

Gary

14. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Only to family and close neighbours. Only problem as someone else mentioned is the state some discs come back in :(
    If someone knows you have a large collection (over 800) i find it difficult to say no to borrow as it makes you seem mean when your only trying to protect your investment.
    I don't keep tabs on what's borrowed and am fairly sure one or two have gone astray over the years.

15. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Loan out my dvds you're having a laugh mate i'd much sooner loan my wife out :laugh:

Unfortunately most people do not treat things the same way us saddos seem to so i don't even loan mine to family :nono:

Adrenochrome.

16. philipjg

philipjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with whats been said before, all too often I have lent discs out only to have them returned with scuffs and marks.

I usually now try to discourage people from borrowing stuff but its difficult not to sound too petty.

17. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    I lend mine to my bro, and he may lend me some. I also lend some to one of my cousins and one or two mates etc, but wouldnt go beyond that.

18. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    I stopped lending discs to my brother simply because he never buys any.
    He's only bought 2 DVD's in 2 years, and recently called ME a 'tight git' when I refused to lend him any of my 200 strong collection.

Only my co-collecting best mate gets to borrow my discs.
    I borrow lots of his too, but I always make a point of returning them all on my next visit.
    Anyone else can get stuffed for all the reasons previously stated.... and I too am an otherwise very generous person.

19. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I don't lend mine out as a rule, before i did but they always got lost somehow or if they did make it back 6 months later it would be scratched as well :eek:

20. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    There's one or two friends I don't have a problem lending to, but it's rare. Immediate Family would be OK, but they don't live close by, so it's not an issue. I don't have a problem with friends coming round to watch my DVDs with me (so I can show off my system, of course!), but, like many others here, I buy them with my own hard earned cash, for my own pleasure, not to act as a free rental shop.

21. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    i lend em 2 my imediate family and 1 friend thats all. they give em back as soon as they watch em and only had 1 case of damage on the LOTR TT EE which was an accident (but i was still furious). i replaced this myself as im not 1 to argue with a family member over summit that cannot be undone! he pays for me when we play golf tho :)

22. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    It's when you hear those dreaded words....

"I'm sure I gave it you back"

Then you know there's trouble or even a family feud ahead!

Happened to me with both my brothers, one case his son had it the other I had it in the boot of my car for about two months! :blush:

23. valhalla

valhalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I lend them out if people ask on two conditions.

I either

a) get the disc back in pristine condition or

b) if it isn't pristine, they buy a replacement.

Seems to work with my bunch.

24. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,452
    You people need new friends! :rolleyes: I lend to people, but i know they take care of them as well as i would, and dont lend them onto others. They are "used" reasonibly promptly, so none of that transferral of ownership.

I dont see people who borrow as being spongers or tight or impossing on lenders, I see it more like mutual cooperation. I really like things my friends are only interested in, but not fans of, and visa versa. I'll happily buy A Chinese Ghost Story 2, as i liked the first and the genre, but mates wouldnt ever dream of buying something like that, yet may still enjoy it for a laugh. So if we lend amongst each other, and we all own 30-50 DVDs it means as a group we have a collection of many hundreds, but without duplication, wastage of resources, extra lining of big-businesses and so on. It allows you greater exposure to a range of genres you might be hesitant otherwise to dip into, and of course you get recommendations of whats worthwhile to watch, whereas you would otherwise have to buy blind (or almost).

Different outlook i guess, and i can certainly respect you non-lenders if your family and friends trash them.

25. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    zed, all i can say is that you must live in some sort of utopia. most of the people i know dont buy DVD's they wait until i buy it so thay can see it for free. People dont take my hobby as seriously as i do and therefore dont treat the objects with any respect at all "its just a DVD stop stressing over that coffee stain and my kids fingerprints" I'd love to be able not to worry about it, but i do :confused:

Gary

26. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Lost my copy of Oceans 11 after my brother 'lent it' to some of his friends.

Sure, you can get it now for £4 out of Woolies or somewhere similar but it's not the point is it.

Would have thought I had learnt my lesson though. Let him borrow the Indiana Jones Trilogy, that was 2 months ago :oops:

My collection just hit 300ish and it's getting kind of hard to keep track of them, so I will probably start writting it down as well. Dosn't help that when my other brother comes over with his kids they insist on pulling out random films and sticking them down the back of the couch and other places. They know it drives me mental, little b:censored:s :D

27. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I refuse to lend out my DVDs to anyone except my little sister, cause I know she'll look after them. I've gotten so fed up with the grief that I get for this I have brought a DVD burner so I can burn backups which I intend to lend out in plastic sleaves. I surpose then I'll be used for a free dvd burning service :(

28. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    You lent out your Indy Trilogy!? :confused: :nono:

There are some DVDs I NEVER lend out and the Indy Trilogy (as a whole or seperate) is top of that list.

29. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    sleepy

Get yourself DVD Profiler and catalogue them. Once you've done your collection it takes seconds to add new DVDs. Also, you can mark films as loaned which makes it easy to know who's got what and also set rules like 'You ain't borrowing another till this one comes back' etc.

Fantastic program and best of all it's FREE.

http://www.dvdprofiler.com :smashin:

30. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yeah, that really is taking the proverbial. If I do lend something out, and I found it had been lent on to someone else, I would not be a happy bunny.

Burning backups to lend out is a good idea, but probably almost as illegal as burning them to sell, and personally, although I have the facilities, I couldn't be arsed to go to all the trouble.