• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Do you know what this part is from our SamsungTV?

bigblue3000

Novice Member
Our 50 inch Samsung plasma TV model number S50HW YB02 suddenly lost its picture while we watching it. So now we have sound but no picture. The screen doesn't light up at all when you switch the TV on. I took the back off and noticed that a part of the board lit up and smoked when I turned the TV on. Can anyone tell me what this part is? I've included a photograph of it. Is it possible to replace this part?

Attachments

• TVpart.jpg
    TVpart.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 58

Carl Bower

Can't help you with the identification I'm afraid but bare in mind, it may not be that part that was initially broken. It could be the part it connects to and it was that which blew it and created the smoke.

bigblue3000

Novice Member
Thanks for getting back to me Carl. I've just been told it's the upper Y-sustain buffer board. From your experience, is it worth trying to get a replacement upper Y-sustain buffer board or is likely the fault may have started somewhere else and has damaged the buffer board?

Carl Bower

Thanks for getting back to me Carl. I've just been told it's the upper Y-sustain buffer board. From your experience, is it worth trying to get a replacement upper Y-sustain buffer board or is likely the fault may have started somewhere else and has damaged the buffer board?

No way of telling without getting the whole electronics tested, you could get a replacement part turn it on, then it blows again. I guess this will prove that some other component is causing the problem. It will cost to get an estimate of repair so it comes down to cost. If you can get a part from a tenner, get it and try, if that doesn't solve the problem, then you are getting it more costly solutions. Worse case scenario is that it's not repairable I'm afraid.

preuser3

Banned
Our 50 inch Samsung plasma TV model number S50HW YB02 suddenly lost its picture while we watching it. So now we have sound but no picture. The screen doesn't light up at all when you switch the TV on. I took the back off and noticed that a part of the board lit up and smoked when I turned the TV on. Can anyone tell me what this part is? I've included a photograph of it. Is it possible to replace this part?

If you put that Y-sustain buffer board part number or your failed board part number or TV model and part description into shop jimmy .com you may see compatibility lists ,try all 3 ways if you need to
http://www.shopjimmy.com/?gclid=CMiL_-XrttQCFYaCfgodhawHwA

Most of the time the X or Y sustain board fails along with the related panel buffer board if either fails .

What you have is at least a burned IC there that may be repairable by itself or with some other things on the board if you have the tools ,experience and so on for a board level repair like I just did on my 2015 Sony 55X850C LCD LD board section T3 transistors and some things along with a new LED bar in the panel that started it all .

You can take a chance of puting another exact same or compatible Y-sustain buffer board in it and see what happens or turn the TV on with that board out of it or unplugged on and see if the power light behaves normally and the relay doesn't click a lot indicating an immediate DC current short shut down at power [on] from a shorted X or Y sustain board below the buffer board circuits ,you can likewise unplug and power on momentarily and see how it acts depending on the wiring variables to maybe isolate the power [on] shut down fault if it isn't unlikely but not impossible a shorted panel .

Some Samsung plasma TV models only provide one DC powered connection cable for both X & Y sustain boards and daisy chain the sustain boards .

They have TV PCB board repair kits on ebay and shop jimmy .com for various TV boards , the price of the board you linked is probably cheaper if it fits your TV model and its a good board not about to fail .

Check these videos out ,first is one is very good and his various TV repair videos & channels are real good ,he knows the Plasma TV subject and LCD TV also ,he is a real tech .

This is not bad for newbies but 1st one is better IMO.

Lastly in the Google or Y.T. search bar this works well > "you tube plasma tv repair"

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom