Do you keep your old passports?

millerlfc

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just renewed and got sent my new passport, and they also sent my old passport back as well (with the corner cut off).

I was going to throw out/shred my old passport and a work colleague was surprised, saying she kept her old passports 'for the memories'.

Am I alone in thinking this is very odd? The only memories are an old photo of yourself and maybe a few stamps depending what countries you've been to - does anyone else actually keep theirs once they've replaced them?

I've got two old passports I've never disposed of. Never really thought about why I've kept them.

We keep ours, don’t know why as they’re just taking up space in a drawer somewhere. Maybe there’s something wrong with MrsD’s wiring! :D

I got my first passport when I was in the Royal Marines for years I was all over the world, passport when I got on leaving the marines did not have one stamp in it in fact apart from the terrible picture of myself it was pristine. When it expired I burnt it i think.

We keep ours for nostalgia and the stamps you get in them as a reminder of trips having been on. There is no real point to keeping them but at the same time I would not throw them away. So I think that makes me mental and something wrong with my wiring. :)

Kept all mine, going back to my first one from 1978 (black, never blue, along with my second). One old employer's travel dept required copies of current and old passports.

I've got my last one, just kept it for records I guess, not really nostalgic. Having said that my last passport included a period of time when I was travelling all over on business so it was nice to see the pages full of stamps and visas. My current one is practically blank despite numerous trips abroad with it (but all to the EU).

I guess one benefit of Brexit is we might start getting stamps in our big blue hard passports when we visit Europe.

Cheers,

Nigel

I keep one old one as insurance against a renewal application being lost in the system & a "Computer says no" at the Passport Office glitch. Same reason I always "forget" to return old driving licences on renewal, in case entitlements suddenly disappear off the replacement.

We have our old ones in a drawer. Never occurred to me to dispose of them. Plus, these take up barely any space compared to everything else I'd like to get rid of.

We have them, but they're in the kids playroom. They're used regularly in make-believe-world

yep, I've just renewed mine last year and kep the old one, think I must have the one before that too?

kept an old driving licence card too..

I always "forget" to return old driving licences on renewal
I also still keep forgetting to return my old ones, as do my parents, must be hereditary

I keep mine.
The job involves a lot of travel and there are some lovely visa stickers in them.

Also, last time I was renewing US work visa they wanted to see my old passports with all actual entry exit dates from the US....so a good thing I still had em.

We have our old ones in a drawer. Never occurred to me to dispose of them. Plus, these take up barely any space compared to everything else I'd like to get rid of.

I hear you bro :rotfl:

aid194279-v4-728px-Get-Your-Girlfriend-to-Move-Out-Step-4-Version-3.jpg

I keep my international passport just to remind myself where I was sometimes:p

I've kept all of mine, including one - a genuine, fully legal one - that was handwritten by my mother.

OK didn't expect to hear from so many who actually do keep their old passports! Maybe I should hold onto mine a bit longer then...

We have a little fire-proof safe that contains all the physical documents that would be a right royal pain to replace in the event of a burglary - there must be at least half a dozen passports in there, the result of having both UKofGB&NI & NZ passports.

Last edited:
I'm on my second 10 year passport. First was shredded then burned just to be on the safe side.

Only reason I got my first (2004) was proof of age for drinking purposes..

I found it easier to get served as pimple faced 16yo then I did at 25 after they really clamped down on watering holes and asking for ID.

These days, getting ID would raise a smile :rotfl:

We bin ours but my dad has kept his- interesting looking at them as he used to travel all over the world (paid extra for a passport with more pages as a normal one ran out of places to put stamps/visas etc).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom