Do you keep any of your recordings?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by DaveP, Oct 17, 2005.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since installing XPMCE and a DVB-T TV card I have accumulated a large collection of recorded programs which I would like to keep.

In the native format these take up quite a lot of disk space and whilst it is cheap these days I'd still prefer to get more recordings on a given size disk.

I downloaded the trial of DivX 6 but is doesn't support the MCE files (DVR-MS).

Is there any freeware/shareware that will enable me to compress these files down to MPEG4, preferably in a single step?

I've used Google and found a couple of commercial products ($29 and £25) but I wondered if anyone has found something cheap that does the job.

Dave

2. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,121
    Get Crunchie, (google it!) it converts MVR-MS files into Avi

3. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,121
  4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Spacecat, I'm trying it now.

Dave

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know of any size restrictions? The first file (an half hour program of 537Mb was shrunk down to 417Mb in about 35 minutes) worked ok but the next one was 3.2Gb and DVRMStoMPEG is still running over twelve hours later! It hasn't even opened the output file yet and the process is using 50% of the proceesor.

Dave

6. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Maybe an obvious answer but why not back up to DVD?

Otherwise 300gb h/d for £100 is not a large expense.

7. Andy-Son

Andy-Son
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might not be of use, but AutoDVRconvert strips the DVR-MS file back to its mpeg2 core very quickly, 60 mins in 2-3 mins. You can then use any number of MPEG2 --> MPeg4 (avi) conversion tools. I cant find the link where i downloaded, but doesnt require install, just running (I can email you if cant find it on Google, v1.3 is a mere 188k). I use AutoGK to convert mpeg2-->Avi, freeware again. AutoDVRConvert 1.3 isnt faultless but its easy to use and converts 90%+ of dvr-ms files, sometimes the file requires a second go. cheers. AutoGK 1.60 on the other hand is tiptop!

8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy-son. I'll take a look at both these

Dave

9. bashtage

bashtage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

This is the way to go. MS_DVR is just MPEG2+some meta data in a custom container. I'd reckon the 2minuts pretty much only depends on the speed of your hard drive. Once in MPEG2, you coudl use Vdub+Avisynth to convery to MPEG4 (Xvid, DivX) or MPEG4 AVC (x264), or use Windows MEdia encoder to make WMVs, dependins on your tastes.

I'm surprised there isn't an AVISynth plug-in for MS-DVR. That would be nice since it woudl skip an entire step.