• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Do you Invoice ?

ozthecoz

Prominent Member
HI,

Im a taxi driver - i mainly do airport runs and business travel and deal in cash.

I want to approach some local businesses and offer them work on a pay later basis - ie, i drive their clients, staff, documents around and invoice them at the end of the month.

However i have never set up this kind of thing before so does anybody know the ins and outs of setting up a good invoicing system, what terms should I be offering, what info do i need from them etc

complete novice at this so any info would be greatly appreciated

Dave

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
I used to have a contract with a taxi firm.

They asked for £200 deposit. With the balance to be settled in full at the end of each month.

Tricky situation as you are touting for business not the other way round. I would be alarmed if a firm asked me for a deposit if they contacted me out of the blue.

Personally I would offer 28 days to pay on receipt of invoice. You could look into establishing a deposit buffer system once you are more established.

hodg100

Distinguished Member
HI,

Im a taxi driver - i mainly do airport runs and business travel and deal in cash.

I want to approach some local businesses and offer them work on a pay later basis - ie, i drive their clients, staff, documents around and invoice them at the end of the month.

However i have never set up this kind of thing before so does anybody know the ins and outs of setting up a good invoicing system, what terms should I be offering, what info do i need from them etc

complete novice at this so any info would be greatly appreciated

Dave

Are you VAT registered? It makes it much simpler if you aren't...

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
If you need the software I can highly recommend using THIS program as it is very easy to use and looks pretty professional too...and it doesn't cost very much either!

D

Deleted member 30535

no no no - my turn over is no where near 67k ( at the moment he says hopefully lol)

You can be VAT registered at any time you like. It's only a requirement if you exceed a certain turnover.

That said, I'd expect processing VAT returns for many small jobs would be a royal PITA!

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Do a credit limit. You don't to run up a credit with them for thousands for them not to pay up. Maybe for the first 3 months a limit of £500

This is good advice imo.

I'm not a taxi driver, but do invoice as part of job of being a subby.

You can only do things on a trust/my word's my bond basis, essentially, but you get to know people/companies who can be trusted over time.

That said, I've been done for a couple of grand by contractors (both went bankrupt) twice in about 15 years, but not too bad I guess.

I've generally found that if you do a job, they tend to pay, no problem.

But there are always iceholes who'll try and have you over, so make sure any agreed terms are very clear, even if it's only a spoken thing.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom