• Yes

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • No

Votes: 34 61.8%

• Total voters

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, so there have been a fair few "Website Help" threads in here over the last X months and a lot of regulars have kindly helped people and also stated they have their own website etc.

I was wondering how many people here have their own website, but not only that what do you use it for and how often do you use it and/or update it?

Personally I don't have one at the moment, but I'm thinking about getting some hosting etc again so might end up just putting something online for the sake of it.

Simple poll for a Yes or No to get an idea of how many people here actually do have their own site.

Yes for me... although it's not online at the moment :rolleyes:

So you have the space/domain but nothing up on the site?

I assume if that's the case you have it more for the email addresses?

Or is it more of a case of you're designing / remodelling the site?

No I don't have one at the moment but I am looking to building one in the next few weeks. I had a quick mess about with moonfruit and it seems very easy to use.

140 personal sites, I really love me.. :D

My bad, didn't realize you meant personal, in that case , no.

:laugh:

I probably should have been more specific and said "Personal Website".
Should probably have left an option for "No - but own webspace/domain" which would then give people an option if they only have one for email purposes etc.

I have a domain so that I have a for-life email address - can't understand people who use their work email address for everything - change jobs and you have a massive task on your hands ;)

No website though - I have seriously no idea what would be on it.

SWMBO has a site - she has started a forum on nappy-free parenting in 0-3 years range. Proving popular :)

Last edited:
So you have the space/domain but nothing up on the site?

I assume if that's the case you have it more for the email addresses?

Or is it more of a case of you're designing / remodelling the site?

Well, I have 2x different vanity domains... I use one of them for my email.

Then i have a few other domains that i'm either working on for future projects or just ones from past failed websites :laugh:

Also have hosting account.

I did once have a personal site, but it gets a bit boring just posting to a personal blog for nobody to read. Thats when decided to chose a niche to blog about instead.
I started a site called GrowSomeMoney.com which i ran for a couple of months and was getting good traffic etc but just didn't have the time to keep it up due to a new baby, so i took it down.
Biggest mistake i've made that when it comes to websites... should've just kept it all up and online for me to come back to later. :suicide: :thumbsdow

If anybody is looking at setting up a personal site, then check out the obvious Wordpress, but also have a look at services like Tumblr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tumblr seems to be full of people spamming single pictures...

Wordpress is brilliant though, easy to use, looks good and gives you good content management :thumbsup:

I have a photography website: simonbutlerphotography.com. It started off as somewhere to show off my photos but has grown into a part-time wedding photography business.

Iccz, I would imagine if you asked this same question in the Digital Photography sub-forum more people would say yes to your question. It's pretty common for people there to have their own photography websites.

Hope that helps.

Tumblr seems to be full of people spamming single pictures...

that's a shame... I must admit I haven't used it for years, but it had a lot of promise (still does if they can sort out spam).

If you were to set up a personal site then Iccz, what would it be?
would you chose a niche to blog about?
or something more for family/friends to keep up with you?

It's amazing how involved you can get when blogging/running a site, but unless you pick the right topic the enthusiasm soon wears off

I have a photography website: simonbutlerphotography.com. It started off as somewhere to show off my photos but has grown into a part-time wedding photography business.

Iccz, I would imagine if you asked this same question in the Digital Photography sub-forum more people would say yes to your question. It's pretty common for people there to have their own photography websites.

Hope that helps.

Nice site and photography you have there, I was debating whether I should start the thread in the ISP + Internet board over in computers too - I figured there are a number of boards where people will have websites so opted for the broadest board :)

that's a shame... I must admit I haven't used it for years, but it had a lot of promise (still does if they can sort out spam).

If you were to set up a personal site then Iccz, what would it be?
would you chose a niche to blog about?
or something more for family/friends to keep up with you?

It's amazing how involved you can get when blogging/running a site, but unless you pick the right topic the enthusiasm soon wears off

It seems to be the in thing at the moment - I've noticed a lot of notices on Facebook about people posting "trendy" images on their Tumblr... that seemed to me like all it was used for.

As for me setting up a site... I used to have one way back as an online portfolio for my web design and graphic work (we're talking 7 or 8 years ago now).

Not sure what I would have one for at the moment but there is an increasing number of times where the hosting would be handy, plus even though I already have several email addresses I could do with 1 or 2 more - non gmail etc.

I would like to start blogging but as you say finding the right thing to blog about is hard work.
Time will tell...

My website has changed considerably over the years

Recently it had a wordpress site, which I was using to publicise javascript/html/css/coldfusion tidbits. But I got bored of this...

now it's just a photo of me and a link to my facebook

Daniel Cook

I have also had in the past as a website to advertise my services as a web developer.

What do you mean "under construction" ?

that is my final masterpiece :)

Everyone needs an animated GIF on their site, surely! :D
Or at least a scrolling marquee? :(

To be honest though I can see that being the kind of thing I end up doing if I get myself some space... last time I had a site it was more for playing around with web design etc and for hosting a few old gaming clan websites. I think I'd struggle to find a specific topic to blog about...

Often wonder why people feel they are interesting enough to warrant a personal website, I know I'm not :)

Often wonder why people feel they are interesting enough to warrant a personal website, I know I'm not :)

Doesn't have to be a blog about your life, it could be about an interest - technology etc. Sometimes it doesn't have to be interesting but helpful / useful.

I know I'm not interesting enough to blog about myself :D

A family one where we host photos for the family to access, and one for if we ever go into the home produce business, which my wife keeps alive by running a small forum where she and her friends discuss Strictly Come Dancing. (Oh the shame...)

I used to but sold it for around £100. :D

I quite regret it now as i could have generated more users by now.

I found one of the archived home page for the site. :D
28251355819569652744.jpg

I have a domain so that I have a for-life email address - can't understand people who use their work email address for everything - change jobs and you have a massive task on your hands ;)

Why not just use a free gmail address or even hotmail? :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom