1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have to buy software player for dvd?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gadjet, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    HI everybody,

I have a 9800 all in wonder card and Creative audigy 2ZS card. I bought this pc a while ago thinking of dvd playing in the future. Now I am trying to get the pc set up for the new house to play dvd,s and I have downloaded windvd 6, cyberlink, and tried windows media player none of these work in DD or DTS just stereo, plus the people seem squashed together. I am watching them on widescreen lcd tv that the pc is connected to via DVi.
    Do you have to buy the full version of the players to
    1. Play DD and DTS
    2. To be able to watch the film with proper aspect ratio with no squashing( cant think of better term)
    If I do which is the best one to buy? :please:

I thought with buyng sound card that plays even dts-es and dd-ex the pc was set up to go and be good dvd player.
    #Can you help me please.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    DTS and DD require the software developer to sell you a license for the decoder, thus the 'free' versions don't include them. However ...

When you say sound card that 'plays DTS and DD' I'm not sure about the ZS' capabilities, my Audigy 1 can decode DD but not DTS maybe the ZS can do that too. With the Audigy 1 I have to go into Surround Mixer, click 'Settings' and then set the 'AC3 Decode' option to turn on the DD decoder, then the DVD sound plays.

Another option is to use the SPD/IF output to connect to an external decode like my Logitch Z680.

Turning to the AR question, I think you need to play around with the A/R settings in the DVD players, PowerDVD for instance IIRC has a 'Retain Aspect Ratio' or somesuch which sometimes need twiddling.

BTW, many people think TheatreTek produces the nicest DVD PQ with a Radeon card, WinDVD is also popular, few people seem to recommend PowerDVD.

HTH.