Do you have the willpower to avoid film trailers?

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Once upon a time (i.e. the 80s), I would look forward to trailers or TV spots (or clips from Film shows) for upcoming films. Getting to the cinema in time to catch the trailers was as important as the film itself. Not anymore. Over-saturation of marketing and promo material in the internet and social media age has pretty much put paid to that. As has the studio marketing department’s propensity to put the whole film out in condensed format via trailer - which will be in at least 10 parts leading up to the release of the film. Two cases in point are No Time to Die and The Batman. All the significant moments practically shown in the trailers equating to much diminished enjoyment of the product.

As a result, I am going to try to avoid trailers from now. I was going to watch the new Thor teaser but have decided not to. It’s been put out mere months from release whereas in normal times, we’d get a teaser around 1 year before release.

I don’t know if I have the willpower to resist all new trailers but I’m going to try! One of the things I like about (and there’s not much of it going around) about “straight to Netflix” and “Amazon Originals” films is that they often pop up without me knowing anything about them beforehand. You don’t get millions of trailers for them either. I can usually watch based on if I like the sound of it from the plot synopsis.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
It's not about willpower, I like watching trailers. That are pretty easy to avoid now days if you don't want to watch them but that is half the the excitement of building up the hype.

Fair enough. I like them too but it has definitely made films less enjoyable now having watched them.

Xenomorph

Another question would be, do films generally live up to the hype of the trailer?

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I generally don't bother, there are some awful trailers and the longer the trailer can suggest a shallow film with most of the better scenes already revealed in the trailer. Netflix can actually be terrible for this and annoyingly on auto play.

However, its worth catching MCU trailers, especially if you're a fan, they give you something to chat about without giving too much away. The latest Love and Thunder trailer being a case in point where memes of certain clips are already doing the rounds :D

Petey20

I like to watch trailers but my OH hates them. She thinks they ruin the movie as well.
I do sort of understand as they can reveal too much at times, but then I've also watched and enjoyed a lot of films that I probably wouldn't have bothered with before seeing the trailer.

Last edited:

MaryWhitehouse

Generally don't bother, or read reviews either.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Impossible for me to avoid a trailer. I have zero willpower whatsoever when it comes to getting a glimpse of a film or TV show.

I do think they show far too much though, sometimes detrimentally so. There have been some in recent times that have been beyond ridiculous.

And there's no need for them to be 3 minutes odd long, 90 seconds should be more than enough. In fact all films should probably just stop at teasers.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I enjoy trailers, and the desire to see footage of a movie I want to see is very tempting. On the other, trailers often show you far too much draining some of the excitement out of the finished product.

The solution for this is for me to just watch the teaser, and avoid everything after. In practice however, I don't always stick to my own rules.

richp007

Distinguished Member
I enjoy trailers, and the desire to see footage of a movie I want to see is very tempting. On the other, trailers often show you far too much draining some of the excitement out of the finished product.

The solution for this is for me to just watch the teaser, and avoid everything after. In practice however, I don't always stick to my own rules.

A24's Men is a great recent example we've already kind of alluded to in this respect.

You only watched the teaser didn't you, I watched the trailer. Definitely wiser not to have watched the trailer, I do regret that now. As I know significantly more about the premise than you do.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Ill watch the trailer if its a film I really want to see. Otherwise I don't bother.

I'm still smarting from watching the Dredd trailer years ago and deciding that it wasn't worth watching at the cinema as a result... :blush:

Garrett

I usually watch the first one of a film Im interested in but not the second that usually gives too much info.

Postes give too much info some times and even rember one of the channels use stick stills just before the adverts and after them before the film restarted and one Roger Moore film had at every break
the main female character dead in his arms.
:mad:
One one DVD cover has the twist ending on it and even though the films been out ages know people who have never seen it or know the twist ending.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
A24's Men is a great recent example we've already kind of alluded to in this respect.

You only watched the teaser didn't you, I watched the trailer. Definitely wiser not to have watched the trailer, I do regret that now. As I know significantly more about the premise than you do.
Actually I did see the full trailer ahead of The Northman, not realising it was any different to the previous teaser. It was longer but I still don't know what to expect fortunately. Looking forward to that one.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Actually I did see the full trailer ahead of The Northman, not realising it was any different to the previous teaser. It was longer but I still don't know what to expect fortunately. Looking forward to that one.

That raises a pertinent point actually.

If you're a cinemagoer, how can you possibly avoid trailers anyway? Unless you walked out of the screening during those 10 minutes or so.

Especially for the big releases you're kind of destined to see one whether you want to or not.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
That raises a pertinent point actually.

If you're a cinemagoer, how can you possibly avoid trailers anyway? Unless you walked out of the screening during those 10 minutes or so.

Especially for the big releases you're kind of destined to see one whether you want to or not.
My mate has a strict no-trailer policy for anything he wants to see. He looks at his phone all through the trailers, and if it's a hyper-anticipated film like Star Wars or Dune he'll even walk out until its over. I wish I had that kind of self discipline, although maybe he's a bit too over the top :).

richp007

Distinguished Member
My mate has a strict no-trailer policy for anything he wants to see. He looks at his phone all through the trailers, and if it's a hyper-anticipated film like Star Wars or Dune he'll even walk out until its over. I wish I had that kind of self discipline, although maybe he's a bit too over the top :).

Even if you're looking at your phone, you can still hear a lot of what's being said. Doesn't seem particularly efficient to me! I might try it though :)

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
I always have the best intentions, but I hardly ever not watch them. When you generally go the cinema a couple of times a week as I do, it’s even harder to avoid them

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
I appreciate the effort Marvel goes to in editing people in/out of key scenes to keep secrets. With other blockbusters did the same. Worst for me recently was The Batman, which gave away some of the key moments from all the big scenes in the trailer.

mooperman

Distinguished Member
im a sucker for a trailer.... that said i remember when the dark knight released and i did no trailers/tv spots and changed the channel when it came on TV and as such everything in that movie was a shock/surprise to me which resulted in probably my best every cinema experience. Since then i still watch a sh*t ton of trailers all the time... perhaps cos im a bit older these days and care a little less. Plus the cinema is a rarity from me as i much prefer watching at home so i know my chances of spoilers are much higher so i may as well just watch the trailers...

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I really enjoy the trailers, so will actively watch them rather than actively try to avoid them.

By the time I watch the film I've probably forgotten what was in the trailer anyway, or what was in the trailer isn't in the film.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand