Do you have or plan to have spare Logitech Harmony remote for the time yours fails? (Poll)

Are you getting a spare Harmony remote to sit in your drawer ready when current one fails?

• I am considering it

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I am getting one

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I already have a spare ready

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • I have not thought about it yet

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • I have a spare but don't think I'd use it anyway

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
I am actually selling a like new harmony elite and hub. Have a look on fb marketplace, Preston area, not asking a silly price either. I don't need it now and deserves a good home. šŸ˜ also added to the classified section on here now.

Last edited:
I have two 555s in storage. The invaluable Picture and Sound button were too good to leave behind, back then.

For those looking for additional / back up Elite's, I've found Facebook Marketplace to be the most economic route.

I recently got two more Elites from there (with hubs), so I can fully replace my 900's around my house.

The first I got for Ā£30 after the seller had mis-advertised it as a "Harmony One". The second I got for Ā£70. Since they were both virtually brand new, I'd say I did ok at those prices.

Worth searching for 'Logitech Remote', rather than specifically just 'Harmony Elite', and scroll through the ads.

For those looking for additional / back up Elite's, I've found Facebook Marketplace to be the most economic route.

I recently got two more Elites from there (with hubs), so I can fully replace my 900's around my house.

The first I got for Ā£30 after the seller had mis-advertised it as a "Harmony One". The second I got for Ā£70. Since they were both virtually brand new, I'd say I did ok at those prices.

Worth searching for 'Logitech Remote', rather than specifically just 'Harmony Elite', and scroll through the ads.
Wow very good prices. Too late for me. I already have my spare and paid "a bit" more than what you have.

I'm now firmly in the considering buying a backup camp. I've still got a working Harmony One from ages ago but now the whole product line has been discontinued I might buy something and pre configure it "just in case".

Can anyone tell me roughly if the Harmony 950 (without hub, don't need that) is basically an updated One? As in is there anything my One does that the 950 can't?

And is the 900 a renamed One but with an RF box? It looks identical to my One.

The 950 is basically an updated version of the Harmony One with a much nicer screen. I made the switch last year and then recently bought a second backup 950 in case of failure. This is of course not going to help if the servers go offline and I get a new device.

The one thing missing from the 950 is the physical number pad - this is now available on the screen which can be less ergonomic for certain tasks. The 950 has less physical buttons but each one can be programmed with both a short and long press action.

The 900 is basically a One with added RF. So it is intended to be used with a hub like the Elite.

Currently just using the Logitech Hub with a couple of iPads, so no spare remote needed. We do have an Ultimate somewhere but it hasn't been seen for at least a year! I do have a spare hub however.

Completely agree with everyone regarding physical buttons - number one complaint of media/climate control in cars is the loss of physical buttons.

These allow the use of muscle memory for the most frequently used functions - touch screen is just awful for this.

Noā€¦and my Elite remote has gone haywire :rotfl: Touchscreen barely works, screen doesnā€™t stay on unless itā€™s on charge, it wonā€™t reset, and connecting it to a PC doesnā€™t work. Changed the battery and itā€™s still the same. No idea what happened, it was fine when I went to bed one night and fubarā€™d the next morning. :(

I have a spare companion remote in storage but kinda wish I had also brought a backup elite. Was worried at the time that the servers would stop working before my current remote died, although that is still a serious concern

I keep meaning to have a fresh look at my activities and reprogram them again: Reading @stevos comment above it sounds like the servers are still working at the moment?

I actually manage most of the time just using the TV remote as it works well enough using CEC/ARC to control the AVR (when it's actually on these days) and also the Firestick in our conservatory TV works off the TV remote too. Apple TV in the living room using the supplied remote (though I don't like it much, at least it's not IR).

The biggest challenge is when watching on my projector as my main AV rack is outside of the room under the stairs. I usually set the master volume to -10dB below ref when starting a film and once everything is fired up then it's no problem. However, if I want to pause the film then that's when I need to use the Harmony/hub to control it from the other side of the wall.

Years ago I built a little IR repeater box, which I've long since lost, however if the Harmony packs up completely I might revisit that option again. Realistically I only need to be able to pause/restart a film and maybe turn the volume down if it's too loud at 10dB below as some films/concerts can be.

Its all working fine currently. I read that newer stuff isn't being added but other than that it all works as it did before they stopped.

Its all working fine currently. I read that newer stuff isn't being added but other than that it all works as it did before they stopped.
Newer stuff isnā€™t being added, hmm. Is the JVC NZ8 on there? Should probably turn on my remote and add it before itā€™s too late if it is!

Iā€™m very tempted to wire in some Control4 stuff but I donā€™t want to be locked in or pay a yearly sub to get the Alexa and smart integration and although not as slick, you can basically do exactly the same stuff with a Harmony remote and a tablet with all the relevant apps, like on Zidoo you can view your whole poster wall like a Kaleidescape which is pretty cool.

Funny enough been tweaking mine tonight, which I have been putting off for ages but these posts motivated me to get it right just in case.

Newer stuff isnā€™t being added, hmm. Is the JVC NZ8 on there? Should probably turn on my remote and add it before itā€™s too late if it is!
You may well find that an older model works fine such as an X series, though might be better to try to find the NZ8 in the list first. I'm pretty sure I used the same settings for my old HD350 and subsequent X35, X500 and now X7500.

I have no idea what the last sentence means though about Zidoo/poster wall/Kaleidoscope though: I just stick a disc in my X800 or use my Apple TV box. :blush: :D

Haha, donā€™t worry yourself about the Kaleidescape unless you have a burning desire to spend 5 figures to download 4K movies in the highest quality.

Likewise unless you have time to burn doing the DIY version and donā€™t want to get up to put a disc in your player and want to avoid the warnings and trailers (time saved with each movie pales in comparison to time spent naming and burning them to the serverā€¦) but itā€™s cool :cool:. Pretty much like looking through the films on Apple TV but itā€™s actually the disc, I can tell Iā€™m selling you on it :laugh:.

I have a spare companion remote in storage but kinda wish I had also brought a backup elite. Was worried at the time that the servers would stop working before my current remote died, although that is still a serious concern
My understanding is that they re going to keep the servers up for years to come to support all their customers. I certainly hope that I am right :)

My understanding is that they re going to keep the servers up for years to come to support all their customers. I certainly hope that I am right :)

Here's hoping. That is their official position but we all know that there is a big difference between what companies say and what they do in practice.

Haha, donā€™t worry yourself about the Kaleidescape unless you have a burning desire to spend 5 figures to download 4K movies in the highest quality.

Likewise unless you have time to burn doing the DIY version and donā€™t want to get up to put a disc in your player and want to avoid the warnings and trailers (time saved with each movie pales in comparison to time spent naming and burning them to the serverā€¦) but itā€™s cool :cool:. Pretty much like looking through the films on Apple TV but itā€™s actually the disc, I can tell Iā€™m selling you on it :laugh:.
I get what you mean now...not that you're selling me on it. :laugh:

Funny thing is I actually don't mind watching the trailers as it sometimes helps me find another film to add to my rental list. I rarely watch films twice though, so it sounds like the DIY version would be wasted on me, even though I'm retired and have more time to mess about with things these days.

I think I need to spend some time 'messing about' with tidying up my Activities. I have a couple that select the wrong input on my AVR or my Lumagen so I have to manually switch back. I must have changed something after setting the Activities up originally, but probably easier just to tweak the Activities rather than attempt to re-wire everything. I can also remove quite a few that never get used as well.

Nice little winter job on a rainy day I think. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom