Do you have or plan to have spare Logitech Harmony remote for the time yours fails? (Poll)

Are you getting a spare Harmony remote to sit in your drawer ready when current one fails?

• I am considering it

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • I am getting one

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I already have a spare ready

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I have not thought about it yet

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • I have a spare but don't think I'd use it anyway

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

sebna

Do any of, I am sure, many Logitech Harmony users got a spare one for the time when the main one will eventually fail and the the time when those are no longer available in the shops?

I am asking as I am considering getting spare one while they are still available here and there.

I am not sure if it makes sense on one hand, going by my experience, as I have Logitech Harmony One (the first top model) which is now 14-15 years old and still working well on original battery and is used daily in the living room. It lived through number of systems.

I also have Logitech Harmony Elite in the HT room but that one gets much less use. If going by the life expectancy of my Harmony One I have probably another decade+ of life in my Elite... hmm. But then, they don't make things as they used to ;), do they? So Elite might not be designed to be as indestructible like One was.

Did anyone's Elite has failed on them?

Are you getting or already have spare ready?

Thanks

Flashy

There isn't a poll option that applies to me, really.

I have an Elite that replaced a 650 a few years ago. Still have the 650 and could use that as a fall-back if necessary. But when the Elite dies it won't be replaced. I may keep the hub for voice control via Alexa (surprisingly handy for play/pause and switching activities), in which case it wouldn't play nicely with the 650 anyway.

I've had activities for Sky, Freeview, Apple TV, DVD, Sonos, games consoles, and probably others that I can't remember. That's now down to Sky and Apple TV. The DVD player has long gone and Sonos is better controlled via the app. Gaming is just a matter of switching HDMI, the Sky remote is fine and Apple TV is better controlled by its own remote.

While I've loved my Harmony remotes – I'd put them at the top of my 'best gadget purchases' list, along with my Kindle – it's no longer as crucial to my setup as it was. If Logitech was continuing to produce them and/or long-term support was guaranteed, I would replace. As it is, I'm not going to play an inflated price for something that may well not be usable, or at least editable, for as long as I'd want it to be.

sebna

What is the poll option that is missing and would fit you best? I will add it.

I believe Logitech confirmed that although they have stopped manufacturing remotes that they will keep the database updated and apps available for configuring of the existing remotes.

I hope that the promise will still stand 10 years from now on.

Flashy

What is the poll option that is missing and would fit you best? I will add it.

I believe Logitech confirmed that although they have stopped manufacturing remotes that they will keep the database updated and apps available for configuring of the existing remotes.

I hope that the promise will still stand 10 years from now on.
I guess "I have a spare but don't think I'd use it anyway". It's probably not worth creating an option for that. :)

They did confirm that but don't think they gave any indication of for how long. I'm not willing to gamble three figures on it. In ten years' time we'll probably have moved on to thought control or something anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

We moved on some time ago!
Just look at all the alternatives.

John7

I'd be interested to see some alternitives. I don't have one but I would like to get something in the near future. Thx.

wiz

Distinguished Member
Who are the rich who have a spare? :D

logiciel

My signature lists three of them.
There are numerous others which a search will find for you.

logiciel

OK, three are Neeo, SofaBaton, and BroadLink.
BroadLink uses a mobile phone, which is the future of these things.

wiz

Distinguished Member
OK, three are Neeo, SofaBaton, and BroadLink.
BroadLink uses a mobile phone, which is the future of these things.
So from eliminating multiple remotes, you’ve now gone back to..lots of remotes :D

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
logiciel keeps banging on about using your phone as a remote but still doesn't get that few are interested.
Neeo seems to be part of Control4 which needs professional installation and costs £600+ just for the remote.

I decided to back the Kickstarter for the new Sofabaton which looks promising, but of course, may turn out to be not what we're looking for.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Ah, ok. I am on mobile = no signatures.
Turn your phone so it’s on landscape mode. All signatures will then be seen 👍🏻

Broadsword

The sofabaton X1 does actually look like an alternative, the only alternative, but with all new things it will take time, I can't imagine that it will release with all of the features of a harmony elite for example. Fingers crossed this will come to fruition.

logiciel

I currently use only the Neeo.
It cost a lot less than that and I programmed it exactly like a Harmony.

I have the current SofaBaton which is fine but a bit old-fashioned.
I‘m also on the list for the new one which looks more modern.

I can’t make sense of some other responses.:D

sebna

I currently use only the Neeo.
It cost a lot less than that and I programmed it exactly like a Harmony.

I have the current SofaBaton which is fine but a bit old-fashioned.
I‘m also on the list for the new one which looks more modern.

I can’t make sense of some other responses.:D
But does it cost less than 160 GBP?

Also what does it better than elite and is it as easy to program as elite?

And where are all the physical buttons? That is the question for all of them. I have bearly enough on elite and a bit too much on One but I am not that keen going even less than elite (it is not a deal breaker but certainly a factor).

Sofabaton new model is currently very cheap on Kickstarter but the design looks a bit too simplistic and not in a good way. Also I am not keen on early releases, teething problems and beta testing associated with these.

sebna

There is also one extra factor which is important to me. My universal remote has to be able to operate without WiFi. My house is all cabled and WiFi free zone and I like to keep it this way (which is probably a bit unusual those days).

I don't mind configuring it using WiFi but that is as much WiFi dependent I would like it to be.

sirbadger

The sofabaton looks promising if my elite (and ultimate backup) dies and £70 is crazy cheap. Would be good if it had more physical buttons though.

logiciel

The Neeo was about the same price as an Elite but is much better looking.
The programming was as rapid as any Harmony.
Physical buttons are a bit old-fashioned these days.
Its dozen or so plus another dozen clearly on the screen are adequate.

The new sleek look was a factor in attracting me to the new SofaBaton.
The old one is distinctly old-fashioned in appearance.

Mevlock

Distinguished Member
We went through this in the other thread.

None of the currently available alternatives have all the bells and whistles that the Harmony line did.

Anyone who just needs something to replace a couple of remotes never really needed a Harmony in the first place.

Those of us who need pc bluetooth keyboard compatibility for instance or a hub with multiple IR extenders are out of luck right now.

Saying there are alternatives that work when they quite literally DON'T do what the Harmony can is just untrue.

I'm keeping my old Ultimate as a spare in case my newly bought Elite breaks. However I'm kind of banking on someone releasing something that has a similar feature set to the Hamrony line at some point.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern announces AK ZERO1 in ear monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MI1250 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 13th October 2021