Do you have backlight problems with your Sony W series?

Does your Sony W series suffer from backlight problems?

• Total voters

paulesparks

Ex Member
Reaction score
A few people have requested that a poll should be started to see how many people are having problems with their sony w series.

I bored at work at the moment so i thought i'd have a go at starting one.

Just got a Nov/06 series. Having watched it in various light conditions and settings, there is certainly some mottling of the backlight even at fairly low levels (3-5) but this doesn't interfere with the PQ which is superb scross SD, HD and DVD.

I don't know when mine was made, but I got it delivered from JL just last week. I have no problems with it at all, a great TV :thumbsup:

Could someone who has a set with a low amount of bleed post up a photo of it? Preferably with and without a film running - does it show through at all during film watching for example?

I'm just interested to see what it looks like as I would say that both my sets so far have a large amount of bleed.

I think if my next replacement only has a slight amount of bleed I'd definitely be up for keeping it, assuming it doesn't spoil film watching.

1st set; (made 10/2006) none noticed, returned for a better packaged PriceMatch deal from John Lewis
2nd set; (JL 10/2006) "wispy clouds in night sky" right across the screen. Noticeable in very dark SciFi scenes ~ all other content is fine.
3rd set; (JL 10/2006) Initially backlight bleed worse then 2nd set, but within a couple of hours settled down to barely noticeable on nil-signal input channels, on the "Standard" display setting (i.e. only when no content displayed).
The same very dark SciFi scenes are now fab! (space black, with stars/galaxies, etc)
On "Custom" settings tweaked with DVD THX optimiser tests, had to totally black out the room at night and hard looking to see any form of bleed at all (no content displayed ~ no bleed at all when content is displayed).
PHEW!

Just got a Nov/06 series. Having watched it in various light conditions and settings, there is certainly some mottling of the backlight even at fairly low levels (3-5) but this doesn't interfere with the PQ which is superb scross SD, HD and DVD.

Same here, have same build date.
Doesn't bother me too much as i don't like a too bright pic anyway

Is it more the 40" panels are affected than the 46" ?

I have no idea, but I did notice a few people claiming they had the bleeding on their 46W's whilst reading the (massively long) W2000 series thread.

Is it more the 40" panels are affected than the 46" ?

How can any individual owner know? My experience is that 50% of 46inch screens were from my personal sample of 2 but I would not think that was a statistically reliable result ;)

How can any individual owner know? My experience is that 50% of 46inch screens were from my personal sample of 2 but I would not think that was a statistically reliable result ;)

Groups of individuals is all there is on the forum

No I obviously realise that..:rolleyes:

These threads get so big anyone looking for specific information has to spend hours looking through, so normal for someone to ask a question, 10 replys "mine ok", "buying one tomorrow","should have got the XYZ","Typical LCD You need a Plasma",,etc 5 pages later someone answers...but You can't remember the question..:D

Was just trying to shortcut the system hoping someone else had been keeping an eye on this problem.

Sorted now as we have a poll

I have the w46 and the top left corner is a lot lighter than the rest.

For £2.5k this really sucks

Amit

can you please tell me your custom view settings as i have a lot of back light bleed (due to be repacled but want to see what setting you think is best). Thank you?

dunno if this works, but I was reading a thread on an australian forum where Sony had acknowledged the issues and sent out a bulleting stating a quick fix is to leave the tv switched on for 40 hours straight.

Anyone heard of this / tried it?

My one isnt really visible during normal viewing, only noticable during certain dark scences or during plain splash screens before progs or adverts.

Its enough to wind me up every time I see it :(

ruins the whole experience.

Amit

a quick fix is to leave the tv switched on for 40 hours straight.
Anyone heard of this / tried it?
Nope, but with Christmas New Year coming up, that shouldn't be so hard to try out. I'm struggling to see any backlight bleed at the moment but willing to try.

Does that mean it will probably improve in time anyway?

Does that mean it will probably improve in time anyway?

Seems odd, this whole 40 hour thing. I do believe that the issue could get better over time, but I wouldn't buy on the basis of this. My set has some backlight issue if everything is on full, but it is minimal and is not seen if the tv is even remotely calibrated. If I overexpose a pic then , yes, it can look bad, but it certainly doesn't to the naked eye.

I called John Lewis to return my set - I have seen a number of sets and they all have their plus and negative points, so I think I'll wait until the next generation- Unfortunately it looks like I'll be charged 15% and not the 10% I expected. :(

Not sure as my backlight bleed was barely noticeable, but I think its gone! Anyone else tried this 40 hr run-in test?

Ok then, I got my TV last week. There was a tiny cloud of backlight bleed in the bottom right corner which has more or less gone.

Sadly, after handling it quite a bit while trying to mount it on my wall arm, there is now bleed in the top left and middle bottom. This sort of figures as I held it with my hands in both those positions!!

I am gonna lie it on its back for a good while on Saturday and then put it up on a new wall arm I just got. I'll report back once I have done it... :mad:

LOL

You have to vote to see the result... Crazy :)
All the people (like me oops) whose looking cause they thinking of buying has to vote even though they aint got a TV so as to see the result.

So take 1 vote off "mines OK" cause that what i voted
ill probably get flamed now :devil:

LOL

You have to vote to see the result... Crazy :)
All the people (like me oops) whose looking cause they thinking of buying has to vote even though they aint got a TV so as to see the result.

So take 1 vote off "mines OK" cause that what i voted
ill probably get flamed now :devil:

Or you could just click view poll results link to the bottom right of the poll ?

Not sure as my backlight bleed was barely noticeable, but I think its gone! Anyone else tried this 40 hr run-in test?
<bump> Has anyone found any slight backlight bleed disappearing after prolonged use (say 1 mth?)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom