Do you have a water meter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by raigraphixs, Mar 21, 2006.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,834
    Hi,

Southern Water;

I was looking at my water bill today and thinking its alot of money, as i dont feel i use that much water compared to say my sisters house, as she has kids, so the washing machine is always running, and more baths etc.

Now this is the gripe, how water companies charge us for water via the rateable value. My rateable value is under 205, whereas my sisters is under 80. Ok her house is much much older, but why should that effect how my bill is worked out. My bill is over double compared to her's.

So i am thinking of going over to a meter, and was thinking if people found it a better more just way of water companies charging for water bills.

2. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +555
    My main reservation about moving into a new house 5 years ago was that I had to have a water meter.

I was slightly cautious at first, but soon forgot about it and acted normally.

We are a family of four so when my first bill hit the door mat it was to my surprise the water bill was a fair amount cheaper than water rates.

If you are living on your own I'd find it hard to believe the water bill would be anything but cheaper.

3. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    As someone that used to work for a water company then I'd say get a meter if it is going to save you money ...

The rateable value charging issue has been going on for years ... the main problem is that there has never been an alternative basis on which to charge - it was the basis of charging pre-privatisation and is the basis now ...

If it is of any consolation all new houses built after 1990 (I think it was) have to have meters fitted and once a meter is fitted to an older property it can't be taken out ... so a gradual new method of charging will emerge but it will take time !!

Think yourself lucky in England and wales though - in Scotland water and wastewater charges are still part of the council tax bill !!

J

4. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Here on the IoW ALL properties have been fitted with a meter. There are three of us in the house, plus a couple of large aquaria, a huge planted garden, veg patch and two cars. We all shower 7 days a week and the main shower has a pump. 2-3 baths per week is common.

When we moved here from our previous house (rateable value low 200's) we were petrified of the water bill. It's actually about 20% lower. :clap:

Hope this helps!

5. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    You have to remember that the older houses without a water meters have to cater for the average bill where useage and wastage of water is not a consideration eg they use a sprinkler on the (usually larger) gardens.

The fairest system has to be that you pay for what you use. This method is also bound to help people save our natural resourses since they are quite literally paying for every drop they use.

-Neil

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    I am on a water meter and am so pleased I am - it costs me about £80 a year for my water :thumbsup:

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Exactly the same here but two years ago.