Do you guys think Epson & JVC are releasing new projectors this year?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
What're your predictions on PJ releases?
First time ever I think where we've seen this massive of a lag between manufacturers updating models.

JVC's N series is near bulb-based perfection (I can only think of HDMI 2.1, higher lumen output, incremental contrast increase +/- laser if its become financially viable now; even if it is, likely just for the N9 equivalent?.. which is still hardly financially viable).

Epson on the 9400 side are lacking DTM. Epson also ditched or at least put on hold their laser beast and look the most likely of all manufacturers to release an 'affordable' projector. The 9300 to 9400 jump wasn't revolutionary re: PQ... do they have something up their sleeves? Entire new redesign of an old dated chassis? Jump to a new technology? Native 4K? Higher lumen count? Improve the contrast? DTM?

All mysteries which I struggle to really predict from both sides.

JVC could do with releasing a belter to entice JVC N-series owners of 2-3 years to upgrade. Epson could do with an upgrade as I'm sure everyone that was going to buy a 9400 has by now, and once again, they have the £2k-£3k price point to conquer as competition is slowly coming in from Samsung & LG.

Praetorpwj

Nobody who knows is going to confirm it on a forum like this before September.

Personally I don’t anticipate anything from JVC; their current models are still massively in demand with scarce supply. I’m more excited by what Epson might come up with; we definitely need an agitator in this rather stagnant market.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Nobody who knows is going to confirm it on a forum like this before September.

Personally I don’t anticipate anything from JVC; their current models are still massively in demand with scarce supply. I’m more excited by what Epson might come up with; we definitely need an agitator in this rather stagnant market.

I think you might be right.

JVC's main reason for releasing new models would be to entice existing N5/N7/N9 owners to give them more money and upgrade FYI.

From Epson's POV, they need a refresh. The 9400 is looking outdated now and if LG & Samsung hadn't failed by not including 3D on their projectors, I know of a few users who would have given them a chance.

Another thing which could happen is JVC release a new range AND offer a projector in the £3-4k price range. If they do that, I think Epson are in MASSIVE trouble. The moment JVC decide to get competitive at the lower price tier, I think Epson will need to dramatically step up their game. However I don't see JVC doing this as I'm sure they want to protect the N5/N7/N9 pricing structure, not deter people from them.

clausdk

I think they will release the following:

N5 and 7 will get 8k e shift
N9 will get a laser
New flagship model to replace the Z1

I held out on the Z1 and got the N9 while waiting for a new flagship model so they better deliver!:)

CaroleBaskin

JVC's main reason for releasing new models would be to entice existing N5/N7/N9 owners to give them more money and upgrade FYI.
I don’t think that would be the reason for such a move. Current N series owners will be ‘locked in’ on their purchase for a few more years yet. It certainly would interest older JVC owners to upgrade.

N series chassis is designed to accept a laser light source. I’m sure that’s the direction they’re heading, whether it will be this year is anybody’s guess. Perhaps we’ll never see such a move on the N5 and N7, I do believe the NX9 will move to laser at some point though.

If they could just work on diminished contrast against the excellent contrast of the previous lineup then I’d be ready to upgrade. N7 just isn’t tempting enough in its current form to upgrade from something like the X9500.

Last edited:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I don’t think that would be the reason for such a move. Current N series owners will be ‘locked in’ on their purchase for a few more years yet. It certainly would interest older JVC owners to upgrade.

N series chassis is designed to accept a laser light source. I’m sure that’s the direction they’re heading, whether it will be this year is anybody’s guess. Perhaps we’ll never see such a move on the N5 and N7, I do believe the NX9 will move to laser at some point though.

If they could just work on diminished contrast against the excellent contrast of the previous lineup then I’d be ready to upgrade. N7 just isn’t tempting enough in its current form to upgrade from something like the X9500.
Been 3 year.. enthusiasts want new toys.
Common sense wise I agree.. n5 and n7 should last a decade but ppl always want the shiniest toy £

CaroleBaskin

Been 3 year.. enthusiasts want new toys.
Common sense wise I agree.. n5 and n7 should last a decade but ppl always want the shiniest toy £
You say 3 years but in reality the projectors were unavailable to many for quite a while after launch. With that being said I agree enthusiasts will always want new toys (guilty :laugh:), but those aren’t the majority of N5/N7 buyers, N9 probably.

Most X series buyers didn’t upgrade every 3 years. With the improved free DTM updates JVC have pushed out it gives even less reason to spring for a revised N series when the current line is top of its class today, even after 3 years. I think most N series owners will be content with what they have. Likely a different upgrade story if the DTM improvements were not given and only available on a newer model, maybe more enthusiasts would spring for new models if that were the case 🤷‍♂️

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
You say 3 years but in reality the projectors were unavailable to many for quite a while after launch. With that being said I agree enthusiasts will always want new toys (guilty :laugh:), but those aren’t the majority of N5/N7 buyers, N9 probably.

Most X series buyers didn’t upgrade every 3 years. With the improved free DTM updates JVC have pushed out it gives even less reason to spring for a revised N series when the current line is top of its class today, even after 3 years. I think most N series owners will be content with what they have. Likely a different upgrade story if the DTM improvements were not given and only available on a newer model, maybe more enthusiasts would spring for new models if that were the case 🤷‍♂️

Outside of an urgent need for hdmi 2.1 or lumens for a big screen the current n series is good for a decade imo!

Bman

Do you think that Epson will go with the trends and add apps, streaming capabilities, gaming features, or with they go with the true 4k & laser route?

I believe that if they want to stay a the current price point, they won't be able to give us everything.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Do you think that Epson will go with the trends and add apps, streaming capabilities, gaming features, or with they go with the true 4k & laser route?

I believe that if they want to stay a the current price point, they won't be able to give us everything.
They need to concentrate on PQ.

markymiles

Distinguished Member
In reply to the thread title. I'm going to go with no. Can't see it given covid and the way AV has been hit like other areas with chip shortage etc etc. JVC quite happy where they are, leading the way in their sector. Epson with DTM would be nice, maybe that might come. Not so concerned with minor incremental improvements in contrast that they might eek out from LCD tech. True 4K you never know. Wouldn't like to see a price hike though.

Bman

My Benq 1070 is dying on me. I want to make the upgrade to a good living room PJ that will live with me for at least 5 years, so I really hope that Epson will release a successor for the 5050/9400 soon and that it'll be a worthy one.
The LG CineBeam HU810PW is a good competitor at Epson's price point, but I want those inky blacks :)

mb3195

Distinguished Member
A laser version N9 would definitely tempt me to switch from Sony......

Stridsvognen

I think they will release the following:

N5 and 7 will get 8k e shift
N9 will get a laser
New flagship model to replace the Z1

I held out on the Z1 and got the N9 while waiting for a new flagship model so they better deliver!:)
JVC has been struggling with high tolerances and failure rate on the N series, and rarely delivered to spec. So maybe JVC will exit the projector market, which could explain why they have not come out with a Z1 replacement yet, and keeps running the troublesome N series.

GrazzaB

I genuinely can’t imagine what would make me upgrade from the N5 - the free HDR updates have been sensational, and I don’t care about the tiny extra bit of colour volume that comes with the N7 as I don’t miss it when my LS10000 had it previously. What would they add? 8k shifting would be meaningless for me as it’s already the WCG and HDR that differentiates 4K content for the most part, not any resolution jump. A tiny contrast jump wouldn’t be enough to buy a whole new projector for me, but as said above I absolutely agree that had they not improved HDR tone mapping in this range that might have been a reason to upgrade. But they have, and the N series has great HDR and native 4K at 60fps with great contrast. 30fps to 60fps is a giant leap for games, whereas 60fps to 120fps is nowhere near as big. And in any case no console will be able to run decent graphics in full 4K at 120fps this generation.

I can see Epson upgrading and I think they need to, but for JVC I can’t see all but the most committed people spending thousands to upgrade for what would likely be incremental improvements.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I can see Epson upgrading and I think they need to, but for JVC I can’t see all but the most committed people spending thousands to upgrade for what would likely be incremental improvements.
I can, it’s an illness that some of us suffer with, I think the name for it is upgraditis 🤔

Praetorpwj

I genuinely can’t imagine what would make me upgrade from the N5 - the free HDR updates have been sensational, and I don’t care about the tiny extra bit of colour volume that comes with the N7 as I don’t miss it when my LS10000 had it previously. What would they add? 8k shifting would be meaningless for me as it’s already the WCG and HDR that differentiates 4K content for the most part, not any resolution jump. A tiny contrast jump wouldn’t be enough to buy a whole new projector for me, but as said above I absolutely agree that had they not improved HDR tone mapping in this range that might have been a reason to upgrade. But they have, and the N series has great HDR and native 4K at 60fps with great contrast. 30fps to 60fps is a giant leap for games, whereas 60fps to 120fps is nowhere near as big. And in any case no console will be able to run decent graphics in full 4K at 120fps this generation.

Nice to hear you have achieved AV nirvana. Personally I think there’s plenty of room for improvement.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

GrazzaB

Nice to hear you have achieved AV nirvana. Personally I think there’s plenty of room for improvement.
I do agree with you that there is always room for improvement, it’s just that the N5 took such a lot of saving and selling of other stuff for me personally, that the changes would have to be titanic to make me want to upgrade. And I don’t believe the next range will be improved by anything like the degree the N series has since its release.

Yes a laser engine would be great but how likely is that for anything near the existing price? And I don’t understand the Sony approach to projectors now, they used to be brilliant. If anything, for me Epson could do something amazing with a laser and bring it in under the N5 or N7 - that really would be an incredible proposition and look what they’ve achieved with the 9400 for half the price of the cheapest JVC.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I do agree with you that there is always room for improvement, it’s just that the N5 took such a lot of saving and selling of other stuff for me personally, that the changes would have to be titanic to make me want to upgrade. And I don’t believe the next range will be improved by anything like the degree the N series has since its release.
N series was perfect time to buy. Chassis redesign, native 4K and dtm.

I don’t think we will see a generational jump like that again.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Shame really, September was a cheer you up month for years seeing what the new JVC projectors has to offer. I’m expect to be disappointed this year for all the obvious reasons. Those days have gone 😳

I’m happy waiting for the laser N7

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Shame really, September was a cheer you up month for years seeing what the new JVC projectors has to offer. I’m expect to be disappointed this year for all the obvious reasons. Those days have gone 😳

I’m happy waiting for the laser N7

I think we won't see a laser N7 for another generation. Others are probably right in that we'll see a laser N9 and bulb N5/N7s which will suck the fun out of PJ advancement in tech.

However if JVC did surprise us with a laser N5/N7/N9, it'd be sheer genius and I think a lot of people who are saying they won't upgrade.. will ;).

Bulb based N5 + Colour filter £5.5k (Basically a rebadged N7 with minor improvements)
Laser Based N7 (£7-8k)
Laser Based N9 with insane lumen output (£15-20k)

I think that product line would be pretty insane and JVC would see A LOT of people finding the extra £2k or so to move to a laser based machine just based on the cost saving of the bulbs and convenience. It would also allow them to move excess stock and parts from this years iteration if they have any with the badged N7.

I don't think they'll do this but it'd be a pretty sweet move. I think it'd cause a lot more current N series people to upgrade, whilst causing A LOT of people owning expensive Sonys to move team too.

OR

JVC could continue with bulb based projectors and just release a rebadged N5 for £3-4k. This would cause Epson MASSIVE problems and JVCs market share would likely extend into the mid-range. The only problem with this is it would distract people from buying the higher end models where they might make a lot more money.

Or... we could just see bulb based JVCs increased with a contrast and lumen bump. I'd be happy with the lumen bump in all honesty. If the N5 can start pumping out 2000 lumens and the N7 2200, it'd be a step in the right direction for bigger screens & HDR.

I fear Epson will just release a rebadged 9400 with DTM. If they do, after 3 years.. then wow... I hope for a LS10500 successor at the a £3k-£4k price tag with the same or better lumen output than a 9400 and better contrast than their last laser series with DTM. That would be insane. The laser would make potential JVC owners who are buying an N5mii bulb think twice.

Harkon321

For someone like myself, who is ready to buy in the next month or so, do you think it's worth waiting until September time to see if they bring out new models, allowing me to pick up something like a reduced Epson 9400? Didn't realise that September was a usual release point.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021