Do you find it unfair atmos and DTS-x only on UHD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by silouette, Apr 18, 2017.

1. silouette

silouette

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hi Guys,
    Just wondered if the weight of this forums membership might promote the film companies to stop putting the Atmos and DTS-x Tracks on the more expensive and less accessible UHD discs.
    Anyone think a online petition would be a good Idea ?

2. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,160
    Some companies may see it as a market ploy to get those with Atmos HT to buy the more expensive disc by just putting Atmos on UHD. Yet there are plenty of Atmos titles available on blu ray, I've just bought Sully, which is the thirteeth such disc I've bought.

Although not as good as an actual Atmos title both Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X do such a good job that I'll not miss out too much on titles from those mean spirited companies. I doubt a petition would make them change their mind as the 4K market will continue to grow as older HD TVs get replaced and UHD spinners become cheaper.

3. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,070
    If you need proof that petitions do actually work, look no further than Star Wars OT :laugh:

4. silouette

silouette

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Appreciate that that compromise use of Dolby Surround does do a good job, but surely it would be worth a try to get a fair deal for the majority rather than the minority.

5. mikemag

mikemag
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,303
    Considering the eye watering price difference between blu and 4k releases, you can see why studios might want to save the good stuff for when having your discs in a black case instead of a blu one just isn't enough to justify the extra money.

Having said that, I had a quick look at my collection and counted 17 Atmos and 6 DTS:X standard blu discs so don't feel too deprived.

6. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Eye watering price? Did you ever own an laserdiscs?
    I think I paid well into three figures for the US Star Wars Trilogy!
    I think the US Pulp Fiction was over £40 (and only available under the counter). Have to admit though the big sleeves did look nicer :)

7. mikemag

mikemag
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,303
    No, I have never owned any laserdiscs, but I did pay £50 each back in the mid 80's for my VHS copies of Ghostbusters, The Empire Strikes Back etc.

The difference was that back then there was no other competition, there was either VHS or waiting three years for it to turn up on telly.

So these days, when the standard blu of something like Fantastic Beasts costs £14.98, but the 4k version costs £24.98, a 60% price increase for a single extra disc, then yeah, I do think it's a bit eye watering.

8. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,160
    I've got stickers on old DVDs from Asda that says "Wow, only £17.99 or 2 for £30". When you consider what DVDs cost in the last century then UHDs are something of a bargain.;)

9. movieman1866

movieman1866
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It's certainly disappointing to buy a blu-ray that has DTS-MA 7.1 or Dolby TrueHD 7.1 when there is a UHD version that has DTS-X or Atmos. I agree with gibbsy that it's a marketing ploy to get us to adopt the new format.
    I watch blu-ray films on my projector which is 1080p and I don't have any plans to upgrade it anytime soon but I could see myself buying a UHD player for the upgrade in sound. Resisting so far and resisting is made easier by the current price premium for UHD. I've pre-ordered the Fast & Furious 8 steelbook for £23 but there's no way I'd pay £33 for the UHD steelbook.
    Hopefully the studios that currently release their blu-rays with Atmos and DTS-X will continue to do so and they won't follow the studios that only put the superior sound on UHD.

10. simonblue

simonblue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,702
    But again if you miss out on the first run of some steelbooks,the price of an UHD 4K disc can look a bargain :)

11. movieman1866

movieman1866
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Definitely wouldn't fund the EBay scalpers. Missed out on the Fright Night steelbook but wasn't going pay £50 for it from EBay.
    It's odd that I should object to paying the current price of UHD discs when over 20 years ago I was paying £33 for a film on laserdisc and often quite a bit more. £98.50 for T2! Paying £20 or £25 for a film when DVDs came out seemed like a bargain.
    I felt ripped off last year, I bought the remastered Independence Day which has DTS-MD 7.1 when the UHD has DTS-X. The only reason for not including DTS-X on the blu-ray is to push us to UHD. Thankfully not all film studios adopt this approach.

12. simonblue

simonblue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,702
    Yep the price i used to pay for LD :eek::)

13. ste19690

ste19690

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176

14. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,911
    Add the studios who still don't offer either of the 3d audio formats on bluray or UHD. That really does my head in.

15. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Just looked at a Samsung 4K player on ebay at £100.

Then went to see how much UHD films cost and quickly shelved the idea.

Sad to say I'm hoping UHD disks flop so that they put Atmos/DTS:X on blu-rays as standard.

16. rjrodders

rjrodders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Perhaps the perfect compromise would be a specific blurray with atmos version at say a couple of pounds more than the standard DD or DTS mix. Much in the same way 3D blue rays are priced 2 to 5 pounds more.
    That allows everyone to buy in relavent to their set up and not feel forced into UHD. This results in increased sales for all and a smarter sales strategy IMO. Common sense seems very short sighted these days when profit is the only goal !!!.

17. Nobbler

Nobbler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,296
    I think even worse are companies that release the same film in different terrotories - one with Atmos and one without.
    Step forward LIONSGATE with the release of London Has Fallen which had an immersive track in the US and a DTS HD 5.1 track here. La La Land is being released by them as well and has Atmos in the US but so far, I've not seen specs for the UK release.

18. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,428
    No. I own UHD tv and UHD player so I dont find it unfair at all. I used to find it unfair last year when I only had hd display

19. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,859
    Well , as expected and a really sad attempt at trolling an important thread.

Yes it is unfair because we all know that atmos/dts x mixes can be had and done for SDR BDs, many upgraded AVRs and speakers to take advantage of the new ( superior ) soundstage just for SDR BD . UHD is a large outlay for many ( believe me I know ) and the upgraded soundstage was indeed significant for many on 1080p BD.

Its very off to me to deny it for one format over the other when both can use it. So even some one such as I who has adopted UHD BD it leaves a bad taste.

I said many moons ago that UHD would adopt this approach .

20. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,070
    Isn't it just Fox & Sony that are restricting Atmos to their UHD releases? Warner, Paramount & Universal offer Atmos on their standard Blu-rays.

21. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,859
    Not sure on who's doing what , remember a disscussion about it on another thread though.

It says a lot when you mention Sony now adopting this policy as they themselves released the Supreme Cinema Series remastered to 4K with Atmos mixes for SDR BD.

22. brantuk

brantuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    We've had an atmos setup for around two years now without 4K UHD and we found plenty of titles with atmos soundtracks on regular blu-ray hd releases. They've been producing them since 2012 - see here: Theatrical Releases in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos

Since upgrading though - to get us to buy a 4K disk it's gotta have an atmos or dts-x soundtrack (pointless without it) or we'll just buy the HD blu-ray with the immersive soundtrack.
    The most annoying thing for me is that you mostly need a magnifying glass to identify the sountrack on the back of the sleeve - online tech specs aren't always clear.

The only way to make companies give the consumer what they want is for the consumer en masse to just not buy their products. That would cripple them into producing stuff the consumer will buy. Unfortunately you'll never get that to happen - so the big companies get to dictate as usual... humpff!

23. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,428
    No trolling at all. If we have enough passion, time, and $$$ to afford atmos setup chances are we have enough passion, time, and $$$ to afford UHD...Heck, you dont even have to buy a UHD TV or projector, just buy a UHD player so that you can play UHD blurays in Atmos with player downscaling to the maximum resolution your display can handle!

24. Nobbler

Nobbler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,296
    That's just why it Is trolling because it IS unfair to those that don't have the $$$$ to pursue their passion. A low priced UHD player is still 4 or 5 times the price of a budget Blu-ray player. Remember we aren't all unfortunate to reside in the land of the free where Atmos tracks are commonplace on broadcast material and for us lucky bad toothed British, our only source of Atmos is disc fed. Hell I think there's only a handful of cinemas that can playback Atmos in the whole country. Atmos is going g to be the new DTS-ES discrete for those of us that an remember that if the studios have their way. Now be a good lad and keep the trolls under the bridge eh?

25. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,428
    Are you trying to tell me that you can afford a home theater setup with surround sound, at least 7 speakers, perhaps even a pair of subwoofers (let's not even mention the cost of those bad boys!), probably even a 100" to 150" screen, projector/TV, yet you cant afford a used entry-level UHD player? WOW

26. Nobbler

Nobbler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,296
    So the rumours are true - you really are a dick. Not that this post proves it but the trolling drivel you posted before about not thinking it's unfair certainly does

27. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,428
    How am I being a dick??
    Samsung UHD player as low as 169 pounds, and you dont even have to upgrade your TV or projector either::
    Amazon.co.uk: samsung uhd player

28. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,160
    Go on Roku. Tell 'em all about you're state of the art Atmos layout. Fancy calling you a troll. That's unfair to trolls to be honest.

Go get 'em kiddo.

29. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,070
    So will this Samsung UHD player play my £15 DTS-MA/TrueHd Blu-rays in Atmos, or will I need to buy £25-30 UHD discs to play Atmos?

ie read the title of this thread:rolleyes:

30. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,428
    Average price of bluray: $19.99
    Average price of UHD: $24.99
    4 dollar difference average price, plus a prospering second-hand UHD market at the push of a button. People just enjoy compalining at times.
    I bought my last two UHD titles for $12.00 each, like new