Do you drink too much alcohol?

Interesting recent posts.
I am now 10 months without a drink. I feel that I am 'over it' and Christmas / New Year were not a problem at all! I went out with a friend on Saturday night - he was drinking quite a bit and we ended up staying out until really late - 2am! He was really quite drunk and ended up having a blazing row with his girlfriend - she was pissed too but it was sad to see it!
Weescotishlass - you could change your perspective on drink - I learned that alcohol is just a poison that we are putting into our bodies - no different to putting arsenic in our food! Have a read of the book I have recommended in my initial post & have a look at my video.
Best wishes
Malcolm

and I bet that argument was over nothing as quite often is the case , horrible stuff alcohol when combined with tempers ......

hi , this is quite spooky , I ended up in hospital at the beginning of October with pneumonia , no seizures though , in the past when had been in hospital the first thing I did when I got home was to crack a can open , don't know why it was different this time , but I didn't , and I haven't bothered since , I thought xmas would be a nightmare , it wasn't , I used to actively avoid having to drive anywhere so I could drink , now i'm not in slightest bit bothered , my liver function has returned to normal and my vitamins levels are almost ok , if you haven't been to the doctors for blood tests I would strongly suggest that you do , for me , im staying tee total , not even going to chance a cheeky can here or there , its not worth it because in my mind I know where it will lead , good luck to you :thumbsup:

Yes, I saw your post and thought your situation was spookily similar to mine, apart from the chest drain, which sounds awful!

I feel exactly the same as you though in that I just can't touch another drink coz I know where it ends and it won't be happy.

You are very lucky in just finding it not bothering you that much- I wish I felt like that!

I'm attempting to go to my first AA meeting on Sunday morning so hopefully will be able to get the extra support and inspiration to find a life worth living, without relying on alcohol 🙏

Interesting recent posts.
I am now 10 months without a drink. I feel that I am 'over it' and Christmas / New Year were not a problem at all! I went out with a friend on Saturday night - he was drinking quite a bit and we ended up staying out until really late - 2am! He was really quite drunk and ended up having a blazing row with his girlfriend - she was pissed too but it was sad to see it!
Weescotishlass - you could change your perspective on drink - I learned that alcohol is just a poison that we are putting into our bodies - no different to putting arsenic in our food! Have a read of the book I have recommended in my initial post & have a look at my video.
Best wishes
Malcolm
I think defining myself as an addict and alcoholic is what is helping me come to terms with the fact that I can't touch another drink.

However I personally don't think you can ever get over it but if that is your mindset then I respect that.

I think that it will always be waiting to catch you and hook you in at moments you least expect it coz it is that powerful at convincing you that it won't hurt to just have one.

Atleast, that is how I'm learning to treat it!

Thinking of it as a poison though is a good idea- and I'll check out that book, thank you 🙂

Yes, I saw your post and thought your situation was spookily similar to mine, apart from the chest drain, which sounds awful!

I feel exactly the same as you though in that I just can't touch another drink coz I know where it ends and it won't be happy.

You are very lucky in just finding it not bothering you that much- I wish I felt like that!

I'm attempting to go to my first AA meeting on Sunday morning so hopefully will be able to get the extra support and inspiration to find a life worth living, without relying on alcohol 🙏

Yes the chest drain was very unpleasant , milestones / baby steps seem to be working for me , first one was Xmas , I would normally get at least 2-3 bottles of whisky which by now would be gone , I actively told people not to buy me any , Xmas day , I drove so I couldn’t drink , New Year’s Eve has never really appealed to me so that wasn’t an issue , got 2 more tomorrow , a family meal where I would normally drink but I won’t be as I’ll drive again and after that , lads I used to go out drinking with have asked me to go out tomorrow afternoon , I have said I will but not told them I won’t be drinking , should raise a few eyebrows.
Have you talked to your doctor about this ?
I reckon I was spending at least £300 / month on alcohol , utterly ridiculous when you look at it with a clear head.
I didn’t actively drink drive but I very much suspect I will have been over the limit more than once the next morning
I’ve started meditating , that might sound weird but it’s actually very calming.
Anyway , I’m rambling , good luck and please let us know how you are getting on .....

you could change your perspective on drink - I learned that alcohol is just a poison......
I think defining myself as an addict and alcoholic is what is helping me come to terms.....

These are the exact two things I came to terms with before giving up.
WeeScottishLass, the biggest thing for me was actually reaching a point in my life where I wanted to give up and it sounds like you have reached this point. Keep at it and keep talking about it :thumbsup:

next big test is a holiday , I was never a massive drinker on holiday as I didn't like to be out of control in an unfamiliar area , so we shall see what that brings .....

After a health scare at start of december i never touched any over xmas or new year. Sitting now after having 3 beers and now having a vodka i dont feel right, poured one beer down sink and thinking of doing same with my voddie. Will probably go and pour it down the sink too.

Used to enjoy having a few but not now.

What do you mean by not feeling right , physically or mentally , hope your ok .....

What do you mean by not feeling right , physically or mentally , hope your ok .....
Im fine mate, thanks for asking. Just feel uneasy about drinking.
My usual daily amount was
3 or 4 cans of carling
1 bottle red wine
As a minimum.
All started after breaking up with now ex wife.

All good now. Back on the water

Yes the chest drain was very unpleasant , milestones / baby steps seem to be working for me , first one was Xmas , I would normally get at least 2-3 bottles of whisky which by now would be gone , I actively told people not to buy me any , Xmas day , I drove so I couldn’t drink , New Year’s Eve has never really appealed to me so that wasn’t an issue , got 2 more tomorrow , a family meal where I would normally drink but I won’t be as I’ll drive again and after that , lads I used to go out drinking with have asked me to go out tomorrow afternoon , I have said I will but not told them I won’t be drinking , should raise a few eyebrows.
Have you talked to your doctor about this ?
I reckon I was spending at least £300 / month on alcohol , utterly ridiculous when you look at it with a clear head.
I didn’t actively drink drive but I very much suspect I will have been over the limit more than once the next morning
I’ve started meditating , that might sound weird but it’s actually very calming.
Anyway , I’m rambling , good luck and please let us know how you are getting on .....
How did it go with your friends who were drinking and you weren't?

Wow! I'm so impressed though that you were able to keep company with others who were drinking!

So I have every respect for you to be able to be around drunk people or in those environments- I honestly couldn't do it.

I know that until l have learnt some reasonable coping strategies, I won't and can't risk putting myself into environments where I'd be really vulnerable to it.

I've been an addict for a long time but it's drink which has always caused me the most problems for me and those around me.

But yes, I've talked to my Dr and CPN and psychiatrist about it, thank you 🙂

I'm well known in my local medical profession for being an addict and alcoholic as I also have a borderline personality disorder, which largely drives my addictions.

I have attended a few organisations related to drinking in the past but was never prepared to give it up- I always hoped I could learn to control it and drink mindfully.

But I can't.

It was only ending up in hospital and being so close to death that it really frightened me.

It's weird though coz whilst I don't want to drink at all, I do miss it 😐

These are the exact two things I came to terms with before giving up.
WeeScottishLass, the biggest thing for me was actually reaching a point in my life where I wanted to give up and it sounds like you have reached this point. Keep at it and keep talking about it :thumbsup:
Thank you ❤️

And yes, talking about it with others in recovery I find is the most helpful.

How did it go with your friends who were drinking and you weren't?

Wow! I'm so impressed though that you were able to keep company with others who were drinking!

So I have every respect for you to be able to be around drunk people or in those environments- I honestly couldn't do it.

I know that until l have learnt some reasonable coping strategies, I won't and can't risk putting myself into environments where I'd be really vulnerable to it.

I've been an addict for a long time but it's drink which has always caused me the most problems for me and those around me.

But yes, I've talked to my Dr and CPN and psychiatrist about it, thank you 🙂

I'm well known in my local medical profession for being an addict and alcoholic as I also have a borderline personality disorder, which largely drives my addictions.

I have attended a few organisations related to drinking in the past but was never prepared to give it up- I always hoped I could learn to control it and drink mindfully.

But I can't.

It was only ending up in hospital and being so close to death that it really frightened me.

It's weird though coz whilst I don't want to drink at all, I do miss it 😐

it went fine , im past the point of wanting to drink although part of me does miss it , when that happens I think back to the times I was so out of control that anything literally could have happened , I also see things in the news that are drink fuelled and that really scares me when you see some of the violence involved , 1 punch is all it takes ......

only you can stop , and you will only stop if you want to , I am amazed I am doing so well to be honest , having drank for 30 years solid , anything upto a bottle of whisky or 10 plus cans a day !!!

to be honest you sound as though you will never be able to cope with just having a few drinks , obviously its only my opinion and I don't mean to upset you....

do you have family ? , if you do , can you talk to them ? ......

best of luck , and if ive poked about to much please let me know .....

it went fine , im past the point of wanting to drink although part of me does miss it , when that happens I think back to the times I was so out of control that anything literally could have happened , I also see things in the news that are drink fuelled and that really scares me when you see some of the violence involved , 1 punch is all it takes ......

only you can stop , and you will only stop if you want to , I am amazed I am doing so well to be honest , having drank for 30 years solid , anything upto a bottle of whisky or 10 plus cans a day !!!

to be honest you sound as though you will never be able to cope with just having a few drinks , obviously its only my opinion and I don't mean to upset you....

do you have family ? , if you do , can you talk to them ? ......

best of luck , and if ive poked about to much please let me know .....
No you are absolutely right in that I will never be able to have just a few drinks- it's taken me a long time to get to this point (not quite as long as you though) and yes, you have to absolutely "want" to give up otherwise it simply doesn't work.

It's interesting that you still miss it like me, despite feeling the way that you do- must be part of the recovery process which apparently goes on for 2 years 😐

I'm not really close to family so it's mental health professionals who get the brunt and chaos 😉

Definitely remembering the trouble I got into is a helpful reminder to stay away from it!

No you are absolutely right in that I will never be able to have just a few drinks- it's taken me a long time to get to this point (not quite as long as you though) and yes, you have to absolutely "want" to give up otherwise it simply doesn't work.

It's interesting that you still miss it like me, despite feeling the way that you do- must be part of the recovery process which apparently goes on for 2 years 😐

I'm not really close to family so it's mental health professionals who get the brunt and chaos 😉

Definitely remembering the trouble I got into is a helpful reminder to stay away from it!

I say miss it , but then I when I think back to what I was actually like , I quickly realise that I am very very lucky to have what I have to be honest , could and probably should have lost the lot to be truthful ......

I say miss it , but then I when I think back to what I was actually like , I quickly realise that I am very very lucky to have what I have to be honest , could and probably should have lost the lot to be truthful ......
Why do you feel that you could and should have lost the lot?

Only share if you feel comfortable- no pressure 🙂

Why do you feel that you could and should have lost the lot?

Only share if you feel comfortable- no pressure 🙂

the amount I have drank over the years when I look back scares me silly, I should have no liver left to be honest , plus all the times I may well have been over the limit albeit unintentionally is no joke either , how I m still married is beyond me , and also how I still have a job is a mystery .......

the amount I have drank over the years...... how I m still married is beyond me , and also how I still have a job is a mystery .......
I used to think the same as this, but you need to also give yourself some credit. You've 'managed' to stay married and you've held down a job, not anyone else, you.
I always thought I'd be dead by now (not by choice) if I wasn't with my wife. I do mean that in a dark humour way but I do also think it would probably be true.
But we make decisions and we change and that's the important thing.

I have a strange relationship with booze.
I fudgeing love the stuff!
I'm currently trying to lose a few pounds and so have stopped drinking as beer goes straight to my belly and makes me fatter quicker than anything!
Often I go weeks or months without booze but I do have a very stressful job and often end up drinking to relax after work.
Then no matter how much I have, I'm craving it for days after. Like REALLY craving it! Like wake up in the morning, craving it!
I've discovered its easier to say no and not have it rather than occasionally have just a couple.

Then no matter how much I have, I'm craving it for days after. Like REALLY craving it! Like wake up in the morning, craving it!
I've discovered its easier to say no and not have it rather than occasionally have just a couple.
That's exactly how I am. I drank quite a lot over christmas and found that I needed a drink on new years day, then again the following day which worried me a bit (there's a few alcoholics in my family) so I decided I'd force myself to do dry January. Really struggled for the first week or so but I don't miss it at all now.

I've now decided to stay off it at least until my birthday in May where I might have a whisky, but I'll see how I feel at the time. I found a few alcohol free beers last week that were pretty good which should help.

I previously switched to the Cobra alcohol free bets when my missus was pregnant.
Pretty nice when chilled but nasty when not!

I previously switched to the Cobra alcohol free bets when my missus was pregnant.
Pretty nice when chilled but nasty when not!
I actually haven't tried cobra, despite it being one of the most popular out there. The nice ones that I found last week where Shipyard - Low tide, Brooklyn - Special effects, and some stout that comes in an orange can. All part of a 3 for £3 in Tesco.

so , where we at now . been nearly 2 months since ive posted in here and I'm proud to say I haven't touched a drop since October last year , somewhat an achievement methinks , I honestly cannot bare to think back how bad I really was , I've lost a load of weight , found a pair of trousers I hadn't been able to get into for 10 years the other day !!! , my mood has definitely improved , mind you , 200mg of sertraline for depression must have helped again , been through 10 sessions of counselling for depression and the psychologist is very happy with my progress , for now at least work is taking a turn for the better with the possibility of getting off shifts and into a day job , less money yes , but I think it is the best for my sanity !!! , the thought of doing some bullshit job at 3 o clock in the morning was giving me the shivers , if all goes well I'll be the one deciding who does the job while I'm tucked up in bed with my teddy bear ( your never to old !!! ) , I've even started to show some interest in the house which has been sadly neglected up until now , all in all a massive change for the better !!!!!

Well done Paul. I passed the 12 months mark on the 5th March!
Just today - I ran the Shrewsbury 10k with my daughter - couldn't have done that 12 months ago!
Keep it up - it is really worth it in so many ways.
Malcolm

Well done Paul. I passed the 12 months mark on the 5th March!
Just today - I ran the Shrewsbury 10k with my daughter - couldn't have done that 12 months ago!
Keep it up - it is really worth it in so many ways.
Malcolm

thanks , and well done to you as well !!!!!!

That's great guys!! Super pleased for you 😊

I reached my 5 month mark yesterday and I'm amazed!
I no longer have cravings for it (only taken the 5 months for this to happen) and in the past, if something has upset me, I no longer feel like climbing the walls for a drink!

My whole life has had to change and I'm still staying away from social situations but life is hard enough for me with my myriad of mental health issues and physical illnesses, without adding drink into the mix.

Ive suddenly realised that I just don't need it or even want it- and it is liberating to not be a slave to the poison.

My new addiction is coffee! 😂

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom