Do you drink too much alcohol?

malcyplop

It was my birthday last week and my Mom in law gave me cash - I bought some 0% Gin. Very nice. Just having a glass.

Attachments

• IMG_1809.jpeg
    IMG_1809.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 22

Glenn Uk

I prefer the term "I'm dry" and if people ask what it means I say I'm an alcoholic.

I still call myself a smoker despite not having picked up for 6 years coz I will always be vulnerable to it and it helps me stay away from it.

I like labels though but there are lots who hate it and especially if they no longer drink they just say that they don't drink as it's less punishing 😊

Something i find surprising is when people ask why i dont drink i am often surprised how many people express similar concerns about their own drinking.

i tend to say i used to drink too much, dont usually come straight out and say im an alcoholic, although i do say that usually and explain it was a binge drinking issue.

I think the image of a red face old drunk lying in the gutter is too simplisitc and there are many of us that have a problem and dont necessarily fit that mould.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Used to work with a lad who was an alcoholic , great worker , nice lad , never came to work pissed , people wondered why he was going to his car for lunch every day , turned out he was necking vodka , he got caught one day by a supervisor and got taken home , didn’t get sacked though , work stood by him and as far as his I know he’s still ok , another lad came into work stinking every day and the management just turned a blind eye .....

crashcris

[
Something i find surprising is when people ask why i dont drink i am often surprised how many people express similar concerns about their own drinking.

i tend to say i used to drink too much, dont usually come straight out and say im an alcoholic, although i do say that usually and explain it was a binge drinking issue.

I think the image of a red face old drunk lying in the gutter is too simplisitc and there are many of us that have a problem and dont necessarily fit that mould.
I agree, having answered many online tests, I concluded I'm not an alcoholic, all the tests say so, but the bottom line is that for well over a decade I've been drinking to excess. Telling people that I'm not drinking now gets warm approval but I also note that there's sometimes a little bit of a change of attitude when I've said that this isn't just for now and that I don't intend to touch alcohol in the future too, that then flags up the label "alcoholic", which does carry a bit of a stigma. But I've been thinking about it more, recently, and my friends know me very well and all of the excesses that we all used to indulge in on the clubbing scene of the 90s and 00s, and we've all, over time, given them up so I'm treating alcohol as just one more drug of choice to leave in the past.

Am I an alcoholic? Irrespective of the results of online tests, yes, I think I must be, and I feel that that's quite empowering for me. It's assisting me to abstain from any offers of "one little drink?", it focuses my mind that I don't need it and the quantity I'd want, to achieve the effects I'd like, would undo the good work I've already done. So unlike going on a diet to lose weight, there are no cheat days, cheat days would be failure. I don't intend to fail.

All the best. Cris.

WeeScottishLass

Distinguished Member
[

I agree, having answered many online tests, I concluded I'm not an alcoholic, all the tests say so, but the bottom line is that for well over a decade I've been drinking to excess. Telling people that I'm not drinking now gets warm approval but I also note that there's sometimes a little bit of a change of attitude when I've said that this isn't just for now and that I don't intend to touch alcohol in the future too, that then flags up the label "alcoholic", which does carry a bit of a stigma. But I've been thinking about it more, recently, and my friends know me very well and all of the excesses that we all used to indulge in on the clubbing scene of the 90s and 00s, and we've all, over time, given them up so I'm treating alcohol as just one more drug of choice to leave in the past.

Am I an alcoholic? Irrespective of the results of online tests, yes, I think I must be, and I feel that that's quite empowering for me. It's assisting me to abstain from any offers of "one little drink?", it focuses my mind that I don't need it and the quantity I'd want, to achieve the effects I'd like, would undo the good work I've already done. So unlike going on a diet to lose weight, there are no cheat days, cheat days would be failure. I don't intend to fail.

All the best. Cris.
I like that description of it empowering you 🙂

If you do have a "lapse" though, I don't think you should demonise yourself for it.

Kailash

met my sister who was telling me about the great times she's had on the past couple of drinking occasions . being sociable , good craic and only a mild hangover! :zonked::laugh:
the thing is she's right! the drink banter is fantastic. it's something i miss but have had to make peace with. i'll miss the bants but it's outweighed by that great feeling of waking up clear headed.:smashin:

This dance, found some white gloves as well. 😂😂

love me a bit of old Prodigy :love:

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
It's not often I drink, amongst friends it can lighten the mood, relax everyone.
Today my head is ringing.🤢

Girlfriend hasn't seen me jig about, she was quite impressed, cats out of the bag now, I'll never be allowed to sit down at parties again.😂😂

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Just found out a mate of mines daughter died yesterday , went into hospital with liver failure and caught covid-19 , chronic alcoholic , 40 years old with 2 kids ......

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Can’t remember if I mentioned this , one of the lads dropped a bottle of beer in the house and the top popped off , I couldn’t even stand the smell , I’m still finding this all very strange but also extremely happy about it !!!!!

WeeScottishLass

Distinguished Member
It's the most unpleasant smell isn't it? Stale alcohol is even worse.

Even the alcohol in hand sanitiser makes my eyes water so I don't use it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...

Latest News

Philips debuts fifth generation P5 Picture Processing Suite
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips unveils 9636 and 9506 MiniLED TVs
  • By Andy Bassett