Do you buy steelbooks for the sake of it?

Hades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit late to the game me with the old steelbook lark..... but keeping a very close eye on it now :)

I was just wondering would you buy a steelbook even though you can't stand the film and would probably never watch it?

As a general rule I only get the steelbook for films I want to see.

I refuse to own 10,000 bc for example.

However, a steelbook case can persuade me to keep hold of a film I didn't like too much. 2012 springs to mind immediatly.

Depends upon the rarity / price of the Steelbook or the movie itself.

I have bought in the past knowing movie is not good, I won't again. I have blind bought a couple though and not got around to trading them yet :)

Does anyone see it as an investment to make money at a later date?

For example Star Trek, 2012 and Avatar can easily sell on eBay for double the price purchased...... and lets not even go there with Iron Man :eek: Boy do I wish I had purchased that little beauty :(

For me personally I need to have some interest in the movie, not just because its a nice looking case.

Personally, I only buy films I like or if they are bargain prices (I own 10,000BC but it was cheap) :oops:

Me too :eek: ÂŁ7 was my breaking point :devil:

I only have three steelbooks. First one was Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and that was because it was a birthday present plus at the time it was ony available as a steelbook.

Price is a factor so it was cheaper for me to buy the steelbooks of T4 and Highlander. If the steelbook and normal version is the same price, I would buy the normal version. I will not pay more just because it is a steelbook.

So far the majority of my steels have been off preorders supplied in the UK. Some imports are just too rich for me or region locked.
If I already own a regular case version then I cannot justify buying again.
Two of mine I purchased simply because they were cheap - 10,000 bc and Halo Legends.
I would have picked up Gladiator for the said same reason if it wasn't for the transfer issues.

Well i guess with 180+ Steelbooks i cant say i just collect the ones i like :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It has gotten to be addictive for me...

I mainly buy 5 copies of each - for small Group Buyes or just for trading purposes , sales i do also but i have always kept my win margin to a small amount. I dont believe in giving Steelbooks for Scalping Prices ...

Wish everyone a very nice day ...

John

My criteria for Steelbooks is either it has to be a good movie (i like) or a nice looking steelbook.

I said in my earlier post that I wouldn't buy Gladiator because of the transfer issues.

But I'm sooooo tempted now because of the price and for the fact that it adds to my steel collection, oh and for the fact that its a fantastic film.
For anybody who has it could they give me a factual account of the transfer please? Has the argument been blown out of proportion or are these critical points valid? Is it still a decent (and better than the SD) transfer whichever way you slice it?
Screenshots I've seen suggest that it is much better than the SD (despite the DNR and missing arrows etc) but I'd rather hear a real world account about how it plays in motion.

Of course it's better than the dvd Dan.
And because it's one of the greatest movies of all time, just get it and if a new transfer comes out, swap the disc.:clap:

I said in my earlier post that I wouldn't buy Gladiator because of the transfer issues.

But I'm sooooo tempted now because of the price and for the fact that it adds to my steel collection, oh and for the fact that its a fantastic film.

Not watched mine yet (I've got white french steel), but don't wait too long there are 398 left at amazon. For a tenner though you can use steel case for the remastered release we will get eventually.

At this price I would have double dipped were it not for the transfer.

Mostly only buy if I like the film, for example I will NOT part with hard earned for 2012.

Last edited:
Do I buy Steelbooks for the sake of it?

I guess I do. Just ordered Gladiator!

Do I buy Steelbooks for the sake of it?

I guess I do. Just ordered Gladiator!

Tempted to start my Steelbook collection with Gladiator (and Sweeney Todd from my local Blockbuster @ ÂŁ10), but read very mixed reviews on the transfer on Gladiator. Still, for a ÂŁtenner.....

Tempted to start my Steelbook collection with Gladiator (and Sweeney Todd from my local Blockbuster @ ÂŁ10), but read very mixed reviews on the transfer on Gladiator. Still, for a ÂŁtenner.....

When it gets re released you can put the new disc in your steelbook case.

That's what I did with Fight Club.

:smashin:

When it gets re released you can put the new disc in your steelbook case.

That's what I did with Fight Club.

:smashin:
That's what I intend to do with mine :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom