Votes: 17 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 42 57.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 14 19.2%

• Total voters
S

shadowritten

Seeing as the 'ghost belief' thread has gotten a bit metaphysical (partly my doing, I'll admit), I thought it might interesting to put this age-old question to the vote.

I answered no, by the way, even though I'm 100% convinced of the reality of a God. I'll leave you to decide why this apparent paradox ...

Enjoy. :)

S

shadowritten

shahedz said:
why do so many threads always end up with religion at the end?

Very profound question you ask there. Why indeed?

If it's simply something to be dismissed, why discuss it at all? Yet, so many of us still do. Are we not confident that material science alone can give us all the answers we seek (given sufficient time and experimentation, naturally)? Why all this banging on about matters of a 'supernatural' kind?

My, my, the questions just go on and on and on ...

gargoyle

I don't need any added 'complications' in my life so thats an emphatic NO.

fortean

God; one of mans earliest inventions.

S

shadowritten

But as Volitaire said: 'If God didn't exist, it would be necessary for man to invent him.'

Or something similar ...

Mr Cat

Banned
no - I belive in myself. simple as...

I can understand why faiths evolved, but in todays age..? no way, they're oppressive to women and thats not good.

but on the other hand, they (i.e. christian faith) do have a set of rules that more should abide by... ;)

mjn

Distinguished Member
Prove to me he exists........

fortean

mjn said:
The question was "Do you believe in God?" for which you require faith not proof. If you had proof it would be of an omnipotent being, not God.

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
mjn said:

Depending on your definition of god, it is very easy to prove that it exists. The closer and closer we get to a grand unifying theory of the universe, the more we realise we don't know, and the more it looks like we are reading god's face.

I consider myself an athiest, and for me at least, god means a design, rather than a designer.

S

shadowritten

Games Guru said:
Depending on your definition of god, it is very easy to prove that it exists. The closer and closer we get to a grand unifying theory of the universe, the more we realise we don't know, and the more it looks like we are reading god's face.

I consider myself an athiest, and for me at least, god means a design, rather than a designer.

What an interesting position. New one on me ... and I like it.

Steven

Senior Moderator
No

There is just a lack of "anything" that even hints to "his" existence. I'm not talking about suffering etc, why is it allowed,

Like I never got christians with the go to church to be a good christian - isn't genuine self belief enough, as God is everywhere?

Don't get me started on the riches of the catholic church, as well as religions role in everything its against

pringtef

Veering slightly off topic, but is it just in Edinburgh that the majority of women (18 - 60+ by the look of some of them) going to the chapel wear short skirts, fishnet suspenders and make up an inch thick?

S

shadowritten

pringtef said:
Veering slightly off topic, but is it just in Edinburgh that the majority of women (18 - 60+ by the look of some of them) going to the chapel wear short skirts, fishnet suspenders and make up an inch thick?

<shadowritten is moving to Edinburgh and becoming a Christian> :D

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
LFC_SL said:
No

There is just a lack of "anything" that even hints to "his" existence. I'm not talking about suffering etc, why is it allowed,

Like I never got christians with the go to church to be a good christian - isn't genuine self belief enough, as God is everywhere?

Don't get me started on the riches of the catholic church, as well as religions role in everything its against
The church has to do with the community, god doesn't dwell in anything man-made.

Don't get me started on papists! :D Bunch of paedophiles who look up to the :devil:

DrPepper

physicist Freeman Dyson said: “Science and religion are two windows that people look through trying to understand the big universe outside.”

“Science deals with the measurable, religion deals with the immeasurable,” suggested author William Rees-Mogg. He said: “Science can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God, any more than it can prove or disprove any moral or aesthetic proposition. There is no scientific reason to love one’s neighbour or to respect human life . . . To argue that nothing exists which cannot be proved scientifically is the crudest of errors, which would eliminate almost everything we value in life, not only God or the human spirit, but love and poetry and music.”

If there is a Creator behind the universe, we cannot expect to comprehend him or his purposes by using telescopes, microscopes, or other scientific instruments. Think of a potter and a vase that he has formed. No amount of examination of the vase itself can give an answer as to why it was made. For that, we must ask the potter himself.

Molecular biologist Francis Collins explains how faith and spirituality can help fill the void science leaves: “I would not expect religion to be the right tool for sequencing the human genome and by the same token would not expect science to be the means to approaching the supernatural. But on the really interesting larger questions, such as ‘Why are we here?’ or ‘Why do human beings long for spirituality?,’ I find science unsatisfactory. Many superstitions have come into existence and then faded away. Faith has not, which suggests it has reality.”

mcfarfs

Banned
Off topic..but Shadowritten, now you have discovered General Chat, how long do you think it will be before you have 2000 posts?! :hiya: :) ;)

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
DrPepper said:
physicist Freeman Dyson said: “Science and religion are two windows that people look through trying to understand the big universe outside.”

“Science deals with the measurable, religion deals with the immeasurable,” suggested author William Rees-Mogg. He said: “Science can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God, any more than it can prove or disprove any moral or aesthetic proposition. There is no scientific reason to love one’s neighbour or to respect human life . . . To argue that nothing exists which cannot be proved scientifically is the crudest of errors, which would eliminate almost everything we value in life, not only God or the human spirit, but love and poetry and music.”

If there is a Creator behind the universe, we cannot expect to comprehend him or his purposes by using telescopes, microscopes, or other scientific instruments. Think of a potter and a vase that he has formed. No amount of examination of the vase itself can give an answer as to why it was made. For that, we must ask the potter himself.

Molecular biologist Francis Collins explains how faith and spirituality can help fill the void science leaves: “I would not expect religion to be the right tool for sequencing the human genome and by the same token would not expect science to be the means to approaching the supernatural. But on the really interesting larger questions, such as ‘Why are we here?’ or ‘Why do human beings long for spirituality?,’ I find science unsatisfactory. Many superstitions have come into existence and then faded away. Faith has not, which suggests it has reality.”

No offence mate, but that is some of the biggest load of crap I ever heard! :D

S

shadowritten

mcfarfs said:
Off topic..but Shadowritten, now you have discovered General Chat, how long do you think it will be before you have 2000 posts?! :hiya: :) ;)

Hiya fella! :hiya:

Don't worry, I'll be racking up more in MP3 again soon :D

Mep

I love it when people so 'no offence'....you always know an insults coming right after :D

S

shadowritten

DrPepper said:

Broadly speaking, I applaud this post! :clap:

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
mep said:
I love it when people so 'no offence'....you always know an insults coming right after :D

Like that south african lady on the fast show! :eek: :D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom