Question Do you always use your amplifier when watching TV?

elsmandino

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This might be a bit of an odd question but I went round to a friend's house and noticed that he had a nice-looking amplifier that was not on, yet the TV was.

I asked him why it was off and he said that he only turns it on for films and sporting events.

Does anyone else do this?

I can sort of see the point of this (from a costs saving point of view) but with more and more problems broadcasting in 5.1 are you not missing out on a lot of content?

I have both a 5.1.2 system for movies and a decent soundbar for everyday TV. I only use Sky Q not Freeview, most programs are 5.1 at best, so my 3.1 SB does a decent job and is great for dialogue.

Most TV watching is in the kitchen/living area. Have the 5.1 setup in the front room, so we have to make the conscious decision to go there so yes we kind of only do that when there's a movie or something. But wife doesnt want to know how to switch it on (one switch to power on, then the TV!!) so if shes watching something else there its through the TV speakers :D

But i must get a soundbar for the tv in the living room because the audio is often pretty poor.

I asked him why it was off and he said that he only turns it on for films and sporting events.

Yes and No.
Films. Certain broadcast programmes with music in stereo. Certain broadcast programmes known to be in 5.1 sound.
Streaming stuff from Netflix etc.,. where 5.1 is beneficial.
but with more and more problems broadcasting in 5.1 are you not missing out on a lot of content
No.
C4 is SD on freesat so nothing in 5.1 for me and others on that platform. Even then only some programmes are in 5.1
ITV all stereo
C5 all programmes are flagged 5.1 but most seem to be stereo on freesat. On Freeview all are 2.0.
BBC by no means are all the programmes you expect to be in 5.1 broadcast in 5.1. Strictly used to be 5.1 but wasn't last time.

My TV (Panny GT60) sounds excellent for most TV viewing and is simpler to use than the fiddling with mode(s) and centre level needed when using the amp depending on the programme concerned.
SWMBO actually prefers the TV sound on 'normal' programmes.
It's worth the trouble on the good surround sound programmes but just not worth having on by default.

Here endeth my 2d-worth.:rolleyes:

i never used to watch normal tv with my HT, only for movies and sometimes games, guess i kinda thought it pointless..
was so wrong.. only ever use the HT, tv speakers are turned off in settings, no matter what i'm watching its just better on the HT, doesn't have to be loud and 'booming' just adds a far better level of clarity, gives a gravitas of sorts to everything.. My AVR does a good up-scaling job for anything non surround.
I don't see why you wouldn't use it all the time tbh..

The answer is Yes!! In rooms where there is a sound system connected to the TV, it is always used whenever the TV is on. I use a harmony or HDMI CEC so it all turns on at the same time.

For all programmes with a 5.1 yes, films obviously from my blu ray player. News programmes, some documentaries and sports I just use the TV speakers. Always use the system for all Netflix and Prime programmes.

Yes, always watch the TV with my AVR on. Didn't have any choice on my previous TV of 10 years old as it was a plasma monitor with no speakers or tuner, so had to use an amp. Even with my new TV, all my HDMi connections are via my amp, so have to use it.

I always watch TV with my AVR on the TV is set to home cinema I use a harmony remote and it switches everything on I need

This might be a bit of an odd question but I went round to a friend's house and noticed that he had a nice-looking amplifier that was not on, yet the TV was.

I can sort of see the point of this (from a costs saving point of view) but with more and more problems broadcasting in 5.1 are you not missing out on a lot of content?

We use the AVR all the time (and an HT bypass hifi amp that serves as a power amp for the front L+R AV channels). TV is an LG B7 and TBH the sound on the thing sucks, but I knew that when I got it as it was only ever intended to be used with an AVR.

Almost all of what we watch is via prime or netflix anyway. My wife sometime watches some garbage on the BBC and TBH I sometimes get tempted to switch the AVR etc off for that just so I don't have to hear it :)

Yes.

I've not used the speakers onboard the various TVs I've had since the mid nineties. I guesss it is for this reason that whenever I do convey audio via the TV's own speakers that it sounds so abysmal?

The AV receiver is integral to all my activities on my Harmony remote and is the default for all audio. Audio sourced via the TV is conveyd to the AV receiver via ARC. All other sources are connected directly to the AV receiver via HDMI. The AV receiver is however set so that it will passthrough these sources to the TV while the AV receiver is in standby, but I never use this to purposefully portray the audio via the TV's own speakers unless I have to.

Last edited:
I use my Receiver for movies, TV series, music programmes and similar.

For the news, most documentaries, comedies (incl series) and routine programmes the DX902 has good enough sound.

use my receiver in the livingroom only for films/netflix/vinyl and games, what am i saying only! I only use the TV for these things lol

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom