Do you always know the speed limit for the road you are on?

guest5234

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving on roads and you see speed cams, travel on same road for miles without seeing a speed sign for that road for miles...does my head in, so many roads have different speed limits but so few speed signs telling you the speed for that road,:thumbsdow

If there are street lights and no repeaters (smaller speed limit signs) then it's a 30.

If there are no street lights and no repeaters then it's a national speed limit.

Any other posted limit will have repeaters.

Simples.

Here in swindon, the council have been fitting lots of them LED signs which light up when you approach them. Unfortunately they dont always work. On one road there are no speed signs just an LED sign which does not work at anytime. No sign-no speed limit...:devil:

If there are street lights and no repeaters (smaller speed limit signs) then it's a 30.

If there are no street lights and no repeaters then it's a national speed limit.

Any other posted limit will have repeaters.

Simples.

30 in loads of areas without street lights though, and what is the speed limits for all the different types of roads? I bet you have been on roads and if you were asked the speed limit for the road you were on by your passenger you would not always be sure.

30 in loads of areas without street lights though, and what is the speed limits for all the different types of roads?

In which case there should be repeaters and if there are no street lights but you know it's 30 then obviously the signs are in place.

Speed limits vary due to all sorts of things with each council area having their own rules and limits for different things.

I bet you have been on roads and if you were asked the speed limit for the road you were on by your passenger you would not always be sure.

I wasn't before I did my driving course at work, I was repeatedly asked what the speed limit was and for the first week or so I often didn't know. I can assure you that in 99% of cases the signs are there, you just didn't see them.

It does of course happen that things are changed and signs are forgotten or hidden by hedges etc but as I said, it's rare and the problem is the driver not the signs.

I went on a speed awareness course the other year and this one one of the subjects they touched upon.

I had a wry smile when the instructor said the speed limit is not a target speed.

I sometimes find myself on a motorway in roadworks with limited speed. Then the roadworks just kind of peter out until there are no cones or whatnot, but there has been no national speed-limit sign. So you are on what appears to be on an open motorway with no further roadworks, but if you went by the signs you are technically still in a 50 limit. I find the traffic then just slowy speeds up until the roadworks are a distant memory :)

I went on a speed awareness course the other year and this one one of the subjects they touched upon.

I had a wry smile when the instructor said the speed limit is not a target speed.

I have been on plenty of similar roads where the repeaters are miles apart, the same type of road could be 40,50,60 in different parts of the Country but with so few repeators in can be a pain.

What about this one

44930-albums898-picture7471.jpg

Not that I've ever seen one that I can recall.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
There are a few roads in London where the actual posted speed limit is a bit of a mystery. Not that it matters when the usual speed you travel down them is about 8mph though.

What about this one

44930-albums898-picture7471.jpg

Not that I've ever seen one that I can recall.

Cheers,

Nigel

Please tell me that you do know what that sign means :rolleyes:

Please tell me that you do know what that sign means

Well you've got me thinking now. I thought I did - a minimum speed limit, maybe be used in places like tunnels where it is safer to maintain a minimum speed.

Thought that you got one with a red diagonal stripe when the minimum speed ends.

But it was about 25 years ago when I learned the highway code for my test so I could be wrong.

As I said though, I've never seen one for real.

Cheers,

Nigel

Yep - min speed. They have 10s in at the south end of the dartford tunnel.

He has a point but this has to be relayed back to the examiner who conducts driving tests. Go anywhere near the 25mph and your on a retest.

Yep i failed for going too slow on my test,rather odd we now insist on cars keeping below 30 ,but neglect to tell kids about the green cross code.
Its ok kids go play in the road ,it doesn't matter the cars are going so slow it wont hurt.

Yep i failed for going too slow on my test,rather odd we now insist on cars keeping below 30 ,but neglect to tell kids about the green cross code.
Its ok kids go play in the road ,it doesn't matter the cars are going so slow it wont hurt.

Tbh you cant win.

Enough about the bloody speed limit already.
It is not speed that kills or fast cars that are responsible.
It is the idiot driver that does not know their limits.
Education is what we are lacking.

I know I can go very fast along certain roads near me as they are near enough dead straight, not busy and you can see about half a mile in front of you at all times. (about 140mph on one occasion)

Now that is fun. No question. It was a good laugh.

However when I get to the towns in between and other roads where they are busy I slow down. There are schools there, buses, lots of other cars, traffic lights, not great visibility etc etc.

However others get to these parts and donÂ’t follow the speed limit, donÂ’t signal, donÂ’t wear a seatbelt, use their mobile..the list goes on.

I also think we are dumbing things down too much and there are too many people on the roads that are happy with getting from A to B and that is it. They are not concerned with being the best driver they can. Then because they are not that good they make mistakes.

Enough about the bloody speed limit already.
It is not speed that kills or fast cars that are responsible.
It is the idiot driver that does not know their limits.

Have to disagree here :) I never heard of an accident where they said 'if only they were going a bit faster, then less people would have been injured/killed'.

If you're doing 90 and you are 'one of the world's best drivers' and some idiot pulls out in front of you giving you no chance to use your amazing skills, I can guarantee you would prefer you were doing 70 - or even 20 :)

Anyway, this debate has been done to death many times, but the 'speed doesn't kill, idiots do' people seem to be missing the bigger picture...

Have to disagree here :) I never heard of an accident where they said 'if only they were going a bit faster, then less people would have been injured/killed'.

If you're doing 90 and you are 'one of the world's best drivers' and some idiot pulls out in front of you giving you no chance to use your amazing skills, I can guarantee you would prefer you were doing 70 - or even 20 :)

Anyway, this debate has been done to death many times, but the 'speed doesn't kill, idiots do' people seem to be missing the bigger picture...

But that is the whole point..
I would only be doing these faster speeds in places I know I have room to do so.

not in the middle of town or in roads I cannot see far enough in front of me.

or are you suggesting i go 20 on a motorway "just incase someone pulls out in front of me"?

it is the idiots that think they see the gaps where there are none.

It is also the dithering idiots who are very indecisive and have no spatial awareness.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom