Do you alphabatize your DVD collection?

I keep them in alphabetical order but like other guys have been saying it's getting to be a real pain each time I buy a couple of new dvd's I have to find some space somwehere. I need bigger storage....

I do have my discs in alphabetical order. I also have certain sections like mainstream cinema, foreign, animation,(not just Japanese ,but ALL types of animation), and TV. These subsections are all in alphabetical order on their own as it'd be a pain in the backside to find anything otherwise. It's just a bit annoying having to shift 5 shelves down slightly if I buy some thing starting with 'A' or whatever.

Titles which start with a number are at the very start in each section,(12 Monkeys, 36, 24, but not 007 as thats stupid)

I also disregard anything that has an A or The at the start and go with the next word in the title. I also find that This Is Spinal Tap is also always listed under 'S' in stores, etc. I believe this is wrong and have it filed under 'T' for 'This'.

I do have my discs in alphabetical order. I also have certain sections like mainstream cinema, foreign, animation,(not just Japanese ,but ALL types of animation), and TV. These subsections are all in alphabetical order on their own as it'd be a pain in the backside to find anything otherwise. It's just a bit annoying having to shift 5 shelves down slightly if I buy some thing starting with 'A' or whatever.

I keep all my TV stuff separately, but because I have very little, I store it in genre (animation/comedy/drama/music etc) All films are strictly alphabetical.

Each of my shelves holds around 45 DVDs, so I tend to have only 35 - 40 on each, giving me nice, evenly spread spaces for new purchases.

Yep, alphabetical for me too (although I too keep all the Bond films together in the numbers section). I gave up with shelf storage for the boxes ages ago as they were taking up too much space. I now put all my discs in Caslogic disc holders with a 280 disc capacity. I leave regular expansion slots but it still means a lot of moving discs around. I'm up to four cases (I put the extras discs elsewhere) and will need to go to five very soon.

Alphabetically:rotfl:

I've tried so many times but when you buy that new dvd it does create a few problems like having to shift the whole collection one space ahead. :suicide:
It might be easy to leave spaces but then it looks untidy and those spaces may never get filled :rolleyes:
I dont even have enough space for 25 % of my collection let alone the shelving.
So the kids and bollywood selection stay upstairs :D while the rest just fit together to make them look pretty with all the odd shaped dvd boxes going around I think asthetically its harder and harder.

yep i do to, makes it easier to find everything.

now at the stage of buying another bookcase as i've got too many

Titles which start with a number are at the very start in each section,(12 Monkeys, 36, 24, but not 007 as thats stupid)

I also disregard anything that has an A or The at the start and go with the next word in the title. I also find that This Is Spinal Tap is also always listed under 'S' in stores, etc. I believe this is wrong and have it filed under 'T' for 'This'.

i had a problem with "The A Team" dvds when i filed alphabetically when i worked in a store. i filed them under T, but everyone stupidly thought i was filing under T for The, when of course it was T for Team, as you ignore the "The" and ignore the "A". i got fired from the manager for arguing over this. his loss if he can't work out a simple filing system. mind i don't think he was happy when he found out i threw out all "the The" cd's cuz you disguard the "the", but who want's to listen to depressing music anyways?

Alphabetically, but having trouble keeping my two year olds from constantly re-organising them:D

Alphabetically.

I ignore the "The" so for something like "The Core":D :rolleyes: :blush: , it'd be in the C section.:thumbsup:

Alphabetically.

I ignore the "The" so for something like "The Core":D :rolleyes: :blush: , it'd be in the C section.:thumbsup:

when I did alphabetically, I put them where I normally called them. So, The Core went in the T's but, I never say "The" with Lord of the Rings so, all three would be in the L's. I never say The X Files so, they would go in the X's.

I tried all different types of filing systems, but now I only separate them into the following -
separate the foreign films / HDDVDs / Classics (i.e. Sparatcus, Ghandi etc) / TV series / disney / box sets and the rest are all over the place :rotfl:

I tried all different types of filing systems, but now I only separate them into the following -
separate the foreign films / HDDVDs / Classics (i.e. Sparatcus, Ghandi etc) / TV series / disney / box sets and the rest are all over the place :rotfl:

i kinda did the same, i seperated the foreign films into the bin. if i wanted to read a movie i'd buy the book. i can't stand bloody subtitles. and then i put all the black and white films in the cupboard cuz i never spent thousands of pounds on AV gear to listen to stuff in mono or not have any colour. i think it's so inconsiderate for filmakers to make movies in black and white, all them directors in the 50s who were doing it all the time were just full of themselves. the tv shows are on top of the bookshelves cuz they don't fit on the shelves properly, and the rest are just all over the place like a tk maxx dvd store

@ Unique quality posts:rotfl:

But I have to say I have my collection in alphabetical order not including ‘A’ and ‘the’ with numerical discs in numerical order at the front. sequels however are grouped together in order of release. With a different set of shelves for tv boxsets which are just squeezed in where they fit. The shelves I use have sections and each looks full when in fact you cna squeeze one or more extra dvd's in so I dont often have to shift the entire collection along but when I do it only takes 5 minutes.

I also have my James Bond films filled together in order of release in the J section. And just to add insult to injury I have all my Jeremy Clarkson DVD’s filled under C for Clarkson.

PS. Had my collection alphabetized for a few years and it never stopped me getting girls!

I have mine organised alphabetically too and then as with some of the rest of you, I miss the 'The' out, and have series/sequels in order of release regardless. I keep my Blu-rays and HD-DVD's together (seperate from my regular dvd's though) and their alphabetical too.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom