Do you alphabatize your DVD collection?

GloryHornet

Established Member
Reaction score
So do you?

I do, but I am never sure if I do it properly, what I mean is how do you sort 'The' and 'A'.

For example;
A Fistful of Dollars - under A or F ?
The Lord of the Rings - Under T or L ?

I will let you decide.

1) A
2) T
:p

I also split mine up into sections - single Hollywood fare, Hollywood/TV box sets, animé, foreign language films - and alphabetise each section. That way I can get what I want quickly

That means I am going to have to go through a lot of my dvds on DVD Profiler to add 'The' to the sort title!! Then re-organise my whole collection.

Good job I only have a few hundred and not thousands like some.

I too put mine in alphabet except i miss off 'The' so for me The LOTR goes under L as opposed to T. My Fistfull of Dollars goes under F but that is just my filing system.

Organised by randomness ;)
About 5 or 6 years ago I did have a few 100 dvds back when I would have easily paid £30.00 for one.

Now I just has a few, which is just enough for me. :smashin:

Still got some R1's I need to get rid off. :(

I've been meaning to alphabatize my collection for years, I've just never got round doing it ! :suicide:

The one thing that has always bugged me is the different style DVD boxes. I tend to keep the differnet styles together though has it all looks really messy on the shelves if i don't ! :smoke:
Same with the box-sets, i keep them together. So I'm not entirely dis-organized ! :cool: :D

Is the genre in alphabetical order as well?

No i have a 9 shelve rack and they just went where ever the bulk of that genre was but i also have a separate rack for box sets :rolleyes:

No.

The Star Wars DVDs all sit in order but that's about it. My films occupy two rows on a shelf in the living room, with all the horrors on the back row and stuff like Ice Age and Monsters Inc on the front row.

I think the universally accepted method of alphabetisation dictates that you disregard any the's or a's that the title may start with.

It's your collection though so it's obviously up to you!

There are 2 basic rules of life:

1. Never make friends with the first person who talks to you at work
2. Beware people who alphabatise their dvd collection........

There are 3 basic rules of life:

1. Never make friends with the first person who talks to you at work
2. Beware people who alphabatise their dvd collection........
3. Beware those who categorise films thus - Doris flick with no car chases

Morning ;)

there are special streetcred laws in place that make putting your cd/dvd collection in alphabetical order illegal, as is putting your collection in any order that would be noticed by a women as sorted into order. the penalty for this crime is being single for the rest of your alphabetised life

if you do want to live a lonely existance until the rest of your life, OR you are married, then you miss off "The" at the start of titles, and miss of "A" at the start also.

i found that out after working in a record shop. after filing the stock, i found that most of the shelves were empty, but the A and T sections were busting at the seems. after being told how to do it properly i refiled eveything, but then i came across the band called "the The" which confused me, so i just chucked those records out to keep things simple

oh, and films with numbers as titles should be filed as if you typed the title in words, ie 7 is seven, 2001 is two thousand and one, so 7 goes under S and 2001 under T, and you miss the first name and file under surname for artists (followed by first name), unless the artist name is the name of the band, thus PJ Harvey comes under P, John Lennon under L, Michael Schenker Band under M. and if you are confused, just throw away the records as no-one will probably want to listen to them anyways

personally, i keep my collection in a style that most would call "a bloody mess", and can't find what i want when i want it, altho it means that from time to time you come across something you haven't played in ages. unfortunatley computer mp3s and divx is slowly destroying this special technique, so enjoy it whilst you still can

I have tried many times, but it always comes undone. I don't bother nowadays...

So do you?

I do, but I am never sure if I do it properly, what I mean is how do you sort 'The' and 'A'.

For example;
A Fistful of Dollars - under A or F ?
The Lord of the Rings - Under T or L ?

I will let you decide.

I do :suicide:

I like my collection to be organised, anyway got to go as I'm going out to do a bit of trainspotting at Piccadilly Station this afternoon :smashin:

I do kinda sort mine alphabetically with a couple of exceptions - for example all the bond films are at the start filed as 007 and A Fistfull of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and Good, The Bad and the Ugly all sit together

A bit wierd maybe but it works - and then there's Disney ..... :)

I tried to alphabatize my collection for a while now, but ended up randomizing them (keeping sets like LOTR, starwars etc....together) as moving sections at a time got annoying just to fit in another 'c' titled movie for example.

Not quite sure how to actually arrange them so that it is easier to find a movie now though. Was gonna number them in accordance with the dvd profiler numbers, but cant really do that cos quite a few of the tv series I have were bought on seperate dates and I want each tv series together

tris

Not quite sure how to actually arrange them so that it is easier to find a movie now though. Was gonna number them in accordance with the dvd profiler numbers, but cant really do that cos quite a few of the tv series I have were bought on seperate dates and I want each tv series together

tris

You know that you can change/rearrange the dvd profiler numbers if you wish don't you? Then you could do it with your method and still have the tv series together.

I tried to alphabatize my collection for a while now, but ended up randomizing them (keeping sets like LOTR, starwars etc....together) as moving sections at a time got annoying just to fit in another 'c' titled movie for example.

I do something similar - I try to organise my collection by genre rather than by alphabet. It's a lot easier to keep in order that way too - plus easier to find films.

HI,

Yes I do alphabetize my collection, and when films come in parts/series/sequels, e.g. Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, I simply group them together as Star Wars IV, Star Wars V, etc, etc. Ditto with the Lord Of The Rings series, just put label them under "L", for LOTR Parts 1, 2 or 3 respectively.

Pooch

I disregard the The's and the A's.

For those of you who do not store in alphabetically, how do you find stuff:confused:

For those of you who do not store in alphabetically, how do you find stuff:confused:

I used to when I had less DVD's. I now have so many I have actually lost DVD's. I still can't find my Incredibles DVD.

I tend to keep my favourite TV series together in one shelf unit. I now have 17 shelves of different lengths with DVD's and that doesn't inlcude my TV series unit.

I disregard the The's and the A's.

you don't. think of it as a dvd lucky dip. or as forrest gump would say "life's a box of dvds, you just don't know which one you're going to get"

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom