1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you all use the Auto-bracketing facility on your camera ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by HMHB, Jul 13, 2005.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,749
    Having made a mess of some photos of my neighbour, I started to read the manual of my FZ3 camera and noticed there is the facility to auto-bracket. Is it a good idea to do this for every photo (I have a 1GB card) and also are there any drawbacks to doing this as I assume the camera won't be ready for the next shot as quick as it has to save 3 photos every time ?

2. kenlynch

kenlynch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It depends what you are shooting really. I'd suggest you use bracketing only for tricky exposures, i.e. when you have large bright areas, large dark areas or when you have a range from extreme bright to dark shadow - these can generally cause the meter into giving an unsuitable reading. It's a case of learning to recognise what situations you trust your camera in and when to use your own judgement.

If you know you'll need to combine shots then shoot with a tripod as auto-bracketing takes 3 shots in quick succession, not 3 shots at the same time. This makes it useless for action shots and I doubt that if you were out taking snapshots of friends that they would wait while you take 3 different shots either.

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    As Ken suggests the only reason for bracketing is in tricky lighting conditions.

Haven't bracketed any shots on digital camera's usually use exposure comp at -1/3 to 2/3rds, easier to pull detail out of shadow than risk blowing any part of the shot.

Used to bracket in my 35mm days when using slide film as the tolerences were much less, expensive though :suicide:

4. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Working in Raw I've found that bracketing has pretty much become a thing of the past (except for real extremes - people in a dark doom in front of very bright window say). Takes a bit of fiddling in the processing stage, probably non more than if I bracketed though, but the beauty of it is you can work from a single image so no need for multiple exposures.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,749
    With auto bracketing, does the camera actually take 3 photos at different settings or does it take one and then use it's internal software to calculate the other 2 ?

6. kenlynch

kenlynch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As I said in my post above, it takes 3 seperate shots one after the other.

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,749
    Sorry, I didn't see that bit !
    It would be a lot more useful if it could bracket by using software wouldn't it. There's no way then to auto bracket when handholding and as I don't even own a tripod it's not much use to me :(

8. shardsta

shardsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I would'nt completely dismiss it..I would deffo go have a play with the setting and report back.

You may be pleasantly surprised :)

9. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    On Nikon is can take more (or less) than 3 pictures if you want...Quite some manual control on your bracketing possibilities especially in combination with i-TTL ;-)

Depending on age, drinking levels, etc it works quite well handheld for me....But then again a Nikon is very fast :)