1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do We Really need Expensive Digital Cables?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by cbkia, Jan 10, 2004.

1. cbkia

cbkia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wonder if we really need good expensive branded cables for digital signals.

This came to my mind after looking at what computers are using for transferring data (either harddisks or network). Those CAT 5e/6 cables are capable of 1Gbps.

Those PTFE SCSI cables are capable of speeds of 1.28Gbps. Even normal IDE cables are capable of 1.064Gbps. This is done in an environment far more hostile. Yet, it does the job w/o losing anything.

Thus I was wondering if those cheap computer cables can do the job, how come we need such expensive cables for digital transfer?

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Expensive cables are not necessary. What we need are cables that are good, and that doesn't always equate to price.

If you're looking at digital coax feeds you'll find it hard to beat a good Belden 75ohm coax cable with some good crimped on connectors (BNC or RCA). And that certainly won't cost you big money. (Look in the power buys forum).:smashin:

3. helen B

helen B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Ive been looking at the Belden cables supplied by Bluejeanscables and been asking myself the same question. Why are cables so expensive over her?. Im going to settle for the Belden 1694a for the digital audio side of my DVD to TV for Dolby digital and at 12 feet they cost $12.50 plus p&p at $5.95 still only $18.45 (less than £12) i was going to buy the Profigold PGD481 at £20?.

4. cbkia

cbkia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just skeptical about those expensive coax cables that claims incredible performance. Yup, the Belden coax are great stuffs. You can also try the 110ohms Belden 1696A. Also pretty good stuf and its dirt cheap. I am using it for my interconnects right now.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    ReTrO's point about price not always equating to quality is very true....I've tried a number of digital interconnects over the years,and found exactly that,with some of the cheap ones,providing they're well made and properly terminated,do perform very well for the price.

I think if you want the last bit of performance from good equipment,then it's certainly worth trying some of the better digital cables,but if you can't tell any difference,then don't be tempted to buy.

You should use properly terminated 75ohm cables for digital transfer via SP/DIF,otherwise attenuation and data loss may occur,hence simply using a PC based cable may not be the best solution.

I do use an expensive cable for my system,but one that does deliver the goods,and chosen after trying several others.

6. cbkia

cbkia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1694a is very good stuff. My friendand I are using it for our cable modem wirings at home. It runs for at least 20+ meters along side with electrical cables w/o any problems. Shows the capability of double shielding.

Thinking of changing my 1696A with this.

I think the price is reasonable. ALthough we can't compare prices directly, 1696A cost less than S$3 per meter (3ft or so) in Singapore. Thats less than 1 pound. Prices in UK and US is about 2x to 3x higher than Singapore, with p&p its around there.

7. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tried several cables in various price ranges, and found the US$50 Apogee WideEye to be the best, several friends have done the same and all bought it... :smoke: