Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Do we have the technology?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Mad Mikeyboy, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Got given my first camcorder the other day from my sis-in-law who won it in a competition. It's a samsung 8mm camera. So being totally new to this I would like to know if it is possible to transfer 8mm to cd/dvd and how to go about it.I don't have a dvd burner yet so onto cd would be good Or should I just say thanks and go and buy a digi camcorder? Have just looked in the FAQ and think I got the answer but just to make sure I'll keep this thread in.

2. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should be able to connect the camcorder to the DVD recorder and record from it. It would depend on what connections you have. I think most camcorders have basic composite video and stereo outputs (yellow, red and white plugs?) and you should be able to quite easily use the relevant inputs on the dvd recorder and record from that input.

Mat

3. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've not got a dvd recorder either, since sky+ came out.

4. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whoops, sorry I misunderstood :D

In this case, your only option is if you have a composite video input on your PC's graphics card. Then you can record using your PC and create a video file which can be burned onto CD.

Obviously if you have a digital camcorder then it should be easy to pick up the video file on the PC.

Mat

5. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    yeah, that's what I thought. At least I know it can be done before I start shooting loads of film with it. I don't have a graphics card with composite inputs so I think I might just buy a budget dvd recorder instead of getting a new card fitted to the pc.
    Thanks.

6. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ok. So I did a search of other threads on this subject and now have other thoughts to consider. These digi 8 cameras that can playback old 8mm tapes.

Since I'll be taking footage of my newborn I want to be able to keep the footage for a long time and the best quality possible.

So far my options are:
    1- keep the 8mm camera and get a video card with composite inputs.(sounds a bit technical for a novice like me)
    2- Buy a cheap dvd recorder and record from the 8mm that way.(sounds pretty easy to do)
    3- Buy a digi 8 camcorder and transfer to pc that way.(keeping in mind I don't have a dvd burner on my pc and will need to be on cd, so I believe compression issues will be a problem for lots of footage)
    4- Buy a digital camcorder(Too expensive right now)

I'm as confused as a baby racoon!!!

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,433
    1- installing a card is as easy as removeing the lid of the PC, remove the slot cover and push the card in. Install the software and away you go!

2- Very easy but make sure you keep the origional 8mm tape safe as DVDs are easily damaged!

3- Why not just do the filming on the Digital8 camcorder in the first place? A DVD burner with basic software can be bought for less than £50. Forget VCD as the quality is poor, but if recorded from a 8mm cam it may be good enough as the origional quality will be fairly low to start with.

4- A DV cam will cost less (from around £200 up) than a D8 cam with the ability to play back analogue 8mm tapes (about £500) as not all D8 cams will play analogue tapes back!

Mark.

8. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely you must know someone who has a dvd recorder, or a suitably equipped PC?

I reckon you should just record on your 8mm tape and then worry about transferring it afterwards.

Mat