Do we have any ladies who use Netbooks or Laptops?

D-an-W

I am considering getting the fiancée either a Netbook or Laptop for Christmas and was wondering if any of the female members on here had used any of them and had any opinions on the keyboard size and weight of the various models on offer?

The budget will be around £400 and it would be mainly used at home with our Wireless (54G) network.

The EeePC 1000 seems to be a favourite but in the pictures I have seen looks a little "childish" for want of a better word (The border around the screen).

I am going to try and use some in the real world but obviously can't take her along to try them out so any opinions are welcome from anyone who can offer me advice and of course the ladies of AVF regarding suitability etc.

Badger0-0

I've just asked my late teenage daughter and her mate about this for you.

My daughter has tried one in a store and her mate has short experience of one.
Both are not exactly petite and the biggest criticism was if you have largish fingers, they're useless.
That said, her mate said they are extremely useful as a backup job for when you're on the move, with the light weight, but memory, speed, is useless.
The opinion seems to be that if it's going to be a main computer, it's just no way. But as an alternative to a PDA, it's a mile better.
Don't know if that helps at all?

D-an-W

Do they run Facebook ok so I can get on here (Main PC) when I need to :lease:

Thanks for asking the girls, good to get a female aspect on them...

Badger0-0

The opinion seems to be that (and I have to agree) that if they have internet, they have to do facebook. That's only as good as the internet connection though.
In that sense, I know they mostly have wireless, but I don't think they all have wired. You'd have to check.
If you have wireless, I doubt there would be a problem.

FWIW, my daughter runs a 14" lappy and her mate runs a big Dell lappy.
The weight seems to be justified though in their case, because they're kids who want the fastest speed and also students, who live on them :)

Even though it might give the game away somewhat, I'd suggest you ask a few questions, innocently dropped into a conversation ;)
Nowt worse than a computer you hate, IMO.

D-an-W

Her sister has a Sony laptop which I seem to remember looking really sleek.

Maybe one of the Ultraportable's would be a better choice but then I guess battery life wouldn't compare to the Netbooks (Using my iPhone now so she can't see me!).

funkyspider

A compromise might get the Dell 1330 range. You can pick one up from the factory outlet for 450-ish,
Hot Deals

but if it's not going to be moved around a lot to be honest you would be better off with a 15.4" screen laptop as the choice is wider. They usually weigh around 2.7kg which isn't that heavy - my other half uses my dads old toshiba which weighs around 3.3kg and she sit with it on the couch and moves it around the house (without dropping it - which is amazing in itself as she drops and breaks everything else !).

If you are still interested in netbook style have a look on youtube for MSI wind reviews - the Advent 4211 is exactly the same PC (just rebadged). Thy keyboard on the Wind/Advent is apparently a better size and much easier to type on. Also make sure when you look at the Eee's you are looking at the 1000 as that has a bigger keyboard than the 900 series etc and I believe it's more in line with the Wind/Advent keyboard and close to a 'normal' laptop size.

neenaw

Novice Member
Well it needs to be the lightest laptop in existence because us girls are so weak. And make sure it's in a nice pastel shade - pink is a safe bet.

:lesson:

Do you really think girls have different requirements when shopping for a laptop? Except for those who require every gadget they own to be pink then we look for the same stuff you guys do. Looking at £400 laptops from Dell, Toshiba, Sony etc, they are all pretty similar and do the same job.

D-an-W

I was asking for a female perspective on the keyboard size really, please don't think I meant anything wrong by it.

funkyspider

Well it needs to be the lightest laptop in existence because us girls are so weak. And make sure it's in a nice pastel shade - pink is a safe bet.
good points. MSI Wind do a pink netbook

MSI Wind - Pink 1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

but it could be tricky to open the lid with long nails :rotfl:

"Looking at £400 laptops from Dell, Toshiba, Sony etc, they are all pretty similar and do the same job".. We should make that a sticky, could cut down on the number of "which laptop" posts

Last edited:

neenaw

Novice Member
I was asking for a female perspective on the keyboard size really, please don't think I meant anything wrong by it.
I'd say the small keyboards are annoying, especially if you're used to regular sized keyboards.

"Looking at £400 laptops from Dell, Toshiba, Sony etc, they are all pretty similar and do the same job".. We should make that a sticky, could cut down on the number of "which laptop" posts
Well it's true. I only know because I've been looking for a £400 laptop recently myself and other than very slight variations in hard disk size and cpu they are all very similar.

_Sion

Novice Member
The Wind (or Advent 4211) keyboard is a little smaller than a regular keyboard but you should have no problems with it unless you have really chubby fingers.

RE: Facebook; I'd avoid any of the netbooks with a 7-9 inch screen, there just isn't enough screen real estate to do a lot of web social sites or shopping. I bought SWMBO an Asus EEE701 and she struggles to do clothes shopping online with it as you have to scroll all over the page to see stuff. Whereas with my Advent 4211 she has no problems.

D-an-W

I might be swaying towards a full blown Laptop for the very reasons Sion mentioned above, going to visit PC World (For a play only!) at the weekend...

Ned Senior

I might be swaying towards a full blown Laptop for the very reasons Sion mentioned above, going to visit PC World (For a play only!) at the weekend...
Hey try the asus eeepc904 it has the same keyboard as the eeepc 1000 which is a 10" jobbie however the screen is only 8.9" even so it is fine I have been playing with one all afternoon and evening which amazon.co.uk delivered next day (1st class not super special delivery) at a cost of £225 for the machine and £5 for postage... PC Vurld want £269 oh it is in white btw quite snazzy you can also get a leather pouch but it comes with a neoprene slipcase:)

Cheers

Ned

littlebrooklyn

I have 3 laptops at the moment and over the years have owned about 5 of them. My own personal preferences are for a 17" wide screen, dedicated graphics card, basically all singing all dancing. I am only 7st but the weight of the laptop really doesn't bother me, in fact when it's chilly they make a nice heater for the lap :) Don't jump to the conclusion that just because someone is female they want something pink and pretty, I prefer a black one personally. I am actually looking to buy another one at the moment as I need a more powerful one ;)

PAH

Novice Member
HP won't like hearing that!

This looks just the ticket: HP Vivienne Tam edition

Fierce Access

Probably also available in black, seeing as women like their little black numbers. :D

echrada

Banned
I have an Acer 5920gmi with HDMI. I run Vista Ultimate x64 with 4gb ram and 250gb hard drive. I have not had a single problem.

For work I have a Lenovo N100 3000 and run Vista Business x32. No problems either.

If you want somthing small and light try this...

Cheapest latop you can buy given it's size and specs..

Packard Bell Easy Note BG45-U-300 Laptop - Buy cheap Packard Bell laptops including Packard Bell Easy Note BG45-U-300 Laptop for on the move at PC World

You can upgrade the memory and hardrive if you want...

No celeron here, core 2 duo, not the fastest one but better than the atom and cheapo celeron dells

Thin and light, 1.5KG, so can easily walk around with it holding it in one hand, even the cheapest celeron dell would come in at 2KG and cost more... bargain really... slightly bigger than a netbook, better performance thinner and near enough the same wieght

Last edited:

D-an-W

Thanks for the input folks (I didn't mention pretty or pink though :rolleyes:), going for a hands on session today ;)

D-an-W

Ideas have changed a little, now looking at the Sony VAIO AR71M or AR61S.

Pound for pound the AR61S seems better as I could always upgrade to 4GB RAM but I couldn't (Easily?) change the GPU or BD Drive in the AR71M, does any one use either of these please?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett