Do we expect too much from Oled TV's?

fleece

Established Member
Reaction score
I expected 'perfection' from my £1750 LG B6 TV. It's not perfect and just has different problems to my old LCD Sony. Perfect blacks Yes but good at everything No.
Anyone else expect more (probably unrealistically) from their Oled?

I exspect 1000 nits :smoke: in 2 years.

Ever since I spent 1800 on a vt30 which was my most expensive tv I ever bought then, which turned out to be a big pile of steaming camel shit I never expected tvs to be perfect no matter what the cost.

Although when buying oleds I didn't expect banding ,Tinting ,vignetting and poor near blacks either:rolleyes:. Having said that, the e6 55" sets are as good as you can get on those issues at the moment.

I learned on Oleds :cool: listen to the negative persons views on them vs the over happy owners. Burned my fingers on the perfect 950s in 2015.

I learned on Oleds :cool: listen to the negative persons views on them vs the over happy owners. Burned my fingers on the perfect 950s in 2015.

Now Now Vak - stop misleading everyone :thumbsdow.

Listen to no-one and use your own eyes and judgement.

Had I listened to the 'negative persons views' on here, I would never have bought a 950 OLED and wouldn't have had 18 months of first class/enjoyable viewing.

i think getting a set without tinting on 100% white and no reverse vignetting shouldn't be to much to ask.

Never had any problems with tinting or low light banding etc on any of my plasma TVs over the years and I'm simply waiting for OLED panels to guarantee that level of uniformity.

I'm pretty certain they will in time.

I expected 'perfection' from my £1750 LG B6 TV. It's not perfect and just has different problems to my old LCD Sony. Perfect blacks Yes but good at everything No.
Anyone else expect more (probably unrealistically) from their Oled?

Me !!

Partly because Richer Sounds sold me a dream... that turned into a lie

Having moaned at them about the inconsistancies of my £1000 Top of the range LED, they told me Id only be happy with OLED ....

.... so I bought an OLED

Welcome Vertical Bands, Screen uniformity issues, screen noise ... etc etc.

In my defence i tried so hard to stay off here, to just sit back and watch it rather than go looking, but I couldnt avoid all the banding comments etc and before I know it Im looking for it and ....

..... experience ruined !

Im sorry, I dont care who disagrees, at some point over the last 10 years companies deemed it acceptable to sell you stuff riddled with problems and issues and somehow managed to get away with creating a "within tollerance" excuse ... only its always within their tollerance and not the poor sod who just parted with £1600!

And what's the fix ? Upgrade .... upgrade ... upgrade ....

Its a bad state of affairs when people post on here that they are more nervous than excoted about their new purchases

Haha i sounds quite bitter don't :)

Yes to answer your question, I expected more from my OLED

I certainly expected more from the countless 950/960 sets I returned ,but I couldn't be happier with my 55"E6

I you lot were every happy with a TV what would you have to talk/moan about? It's the reason women put up with men, they love to bitch about all their issues! They even have a TV show about it apparently

I think 2018 will be the year for OLEDs. 2017 Led Top tier TV's are so good and the blacks are amazing. Sony XE93 as an example and the 65inch is less than the 2017 LG B7.

Why should you compromise on Whites?
Should not have to when spending so much.

I've had mine just under two weeks. 55b6. I've not given it any serious time yet but do find myself regularly reaching for the wand to change the brightness and other variable settings to remove unwanted issues from the picture. I'm leaning towards the fact that the TV probably is quality, as it can and has demonstrated, yet the crap TV providers put on to their boxes, costing upwards of £60+ each month, fail to produce a satisfying watch. I've seen mirrored reflections of actors in Luke Cage Dolby vision. Is that right? Is my set faulty? I don't even know and I'm not a complete beginner in AV. I'll be attempting to capture these issues on camera and then report to LG. In all honesty if it did turn out to have an issue I think I'd be happy with my cash back rather than a replacement set. I never thought I'd be saying that after purchasing an OLED.

To be honest, and I am, if 'one' sticks to the ISF settings on AVFs review I virtually never see any issues. Change to other modes etc then yes, I see problems but Ive hardly changed a thing in a month. I must have watched 300hrs already!!

Some content is definitely not made equal to others though!

Love it, beats Kuro and thats something I was worried about. Best TV Ive ever had.

Dave;)

I never had a tv that was perfect. My first HDTV was a Samsung DLP tv. Welcome to the world of rainbowing. Kept it for a 3 years and then color wheel started going bad. Upgraded to the "best" plasma maker in the world and bought a Pioneer 5020. Welcome to the world of DSE and ABL. Kept it for 5 years, and then the red tint developed. Sold it and got a Samsung 64F8500 plasma. Welcome to the world of pulsating ABL in which the very bright scenes would pulsate, instead of dim like the 5020. Blacks were not as good as the Pioneer, but still thought it was the best tv I had owned at that point. Unfortunately Samsung stopped making parts after 2 years, and the only way to properly cool it were to attach external fans to the back of the tv to help dissipate the heat. Sold it a few years later and bought the EF9500 OLED. Great blacks but a few steps backwards for me with the banding and vignetting. Multiple exchanges and got a somewhat acceptable tv, that is being used in a bright room. I now have a E6, and of all the tv's, this is by far the best one I have owned out of the bunch, with the F8500 plasma second best. Oh yea, I tried a Sony 940C FALD tv for a month. God awful. Poor viewing angles, blooming, etc. I would take a DLP over that POS.

My C6 65 is not perfect but perfect for me. It is a brilliant TV and damn near perfect (my set has over 700h on it so it is well established opinion). I had some reservation at the beginning but it grew on me. Most of the problems I was experiencing with it were gone by the 300h mark. Pure love :) All I need now with those long daylight hours is some motor operated blockout blinds and room automation but that is easily done :), a little project for coming weeks.

Its a bad state of affairs when people post on here that they are more nervous than excoted about their new purchases

Definitely the way I felt after deciding to upgrade from my VT50, and do now. I was another that thought OLED finally the successor to plasma so picked up a C6 a couple of months ago. It is a cracking TV and personally never noticed any motion problems or banding in normal content. I could live with the near black issues, but not the pink tint on light backgrounds. Unbelievably, I had 4 and they were all the same, some worse than others.
I'm sure a lot of people read that and think I'm a serial returner or really picky, but not at all. Admittedly, this was the worst one of the 4 and had green tinting as well, but take a look in this thread and tell me that's acceptable on a £1k TV, never mind one that's nearly £2k? Trust me when I say it's WAY more noticeable in person.

I'd lost faith in LG, so after reading all the positive reports and seeing one in person, decided to order a Sony A1. It's coming this week and I'm absolutely terrified after reading that pink tinting might be an issue on this as well. Are you freakin' kidding me? On a £3500 TV?
Probably being overly paranoid, but can you blame someone after 4 TVs with the same issue?

While I appreciate no TV is going to be perfect, for the price we're paying nowadays it better be closer than it seems to be. I'm not after perfection, just a TV without issues when watching it normally.

Yeah it's normal to expect a tv without issues. Nothing is 100% perfect but if some displays are banding free then my display should also be banding free. What I don't like is the panel lottery LG is putting us through. Some displays are near perfect and others are just garbage.
My first OLED, EF9500, had great 3D but had tons of near black issues. I just had to sell it. Current E6 has virtually zero near black issues but very slight issue with white uniformity and 3D is misaligned in one corner. I can however live with it rather than risking a display with banding or vignetting. But yeah, for the price tag we have the right to complain to manufacturers.

Very happy with my B6. Is it perfect? Good lord no.

However, it's a step up from the LCD I used to have and a sideways move from my much loved JVC projector. For the money the positives outweigh the negatives and I've finally stopped hunting for issues on things that I buy.

Just to be clear it would be great to be able to expect panel uniformity but I suspect that much like having pre-selected processors capable of hitting certain clock speeds it would greatly increase the cost.

Put another way, would anyone here be happy to have all the 'best' panels reserved for the E6 and above models and all the panels which fail testing to go in the B and C ranges? Or should they throw them out and increase overall costs? I'm not trying to be funny, I'm genuinely interested as it seems like a difficult question for a manufacturer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom