Do we even need aerial sockets in bedrooms now?

Should I keep TV aerial points upstairs? Or remove?

• Yes, keep and tidy up.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • No, get rid!

Votes: 16 94.1%

• Total voters

chippyteaforme

Odd title I know!

I'm currently decorating upstairs. I've already (during previous decorating) removed telephone sockets and wiring from upstairs. No longer required in the modern broadband and cordless phone age (and Openreach disconnected them all ages ago during FTTC broadband installation anyway!).

But now I'm doing the bedrooms and they've had 'DIY' aerial cabling in the past. No trunking or anything in most cases, just aerial cable tacked around door frames with cable clips or whatever they are called, and cables coming through corners of artex ceilings in other cases.

... Just got me wondering, I was going to keep the aerial points but tidy it up by trunking the existing cable and replacing sockets which are years old... but is it even worth it?!

I only stream, the upstairs bedrooms aren't used (only decorating as having new flooring and makes sense to do it now!).

Do people use TV sockets upstairs any more?

Last edited:
When we remodelled our house in 2018 I kept ariel sockets in the main lounges, kitchen and master bedroom which is handy in case the internet fails, you can still receive some TV channels. All other rooms just have a NowTV stick in their TVs but all rooms have wired internet connections so the TVs can access the home NAS easily.

If your only streaming I'd not bother with bedroom sockets

KBD

As they say in Asia: Up to you!
If you'll use them, then yes.

I would definitely use them, we watch broadcast TV most of the time.

Flynch191

G’Morning all,
It’ll be a no from me. I’d keep one downstairs for emergency…? But happily remove/not put in all the others in the house. although I have sockets in bedrooms that have been here since day one I no longer have an aerial booster so none of them work. Been like that for 5-10 years and have not missed then. Luckily internet very rarely goes down if ever and some suppliers/routers let you use mobile chips as backup if you so wish.

oneman

Just redid 2 bedroom and took out aerial faceplates and swapped them for dual Ethernet faceplate which I channelled in. The old cable is still there behind the Ethernet faceplate though.

I also switched off the aerial distribution booster in the loft, it was using about 2watts so around £4 a year to keep it on.

If your rewiring its well worth fitting power sockets that also have USB ports fitted meaning no chargers hogging the power sockets and they are not expensive these days.

oneman

If your rewiring its well worth fitting power sockets that also have USB ports fitted meaning no chargers hogging the power sockets and they are not expensive these days.
The only thing I would say after converting a lot of sockets some time back is that they use power when not in use and USB power output isn't as good as plugin charger. And you might need a deeper backbox.

Oh, and don't get the LAP ones from screwfix.

chippyteaforme

Christ this thread got loads of replies after being dead :)

In any case I ended up removing aerial sockets and filling / sanding and whatnot so no evidence cable was ever there.

I didn't bother with USB faceplates as I don't trust them - as for LAP from Screwfix I used them in the past to replace old mains sockets (non-USB) and then removed and replaced with better ones - they looked and felt cheap, didn't inspire confidence :O

Have 1Gbit Fibre being installed this week and having WiFi 'mesh'(?) which should result in good coverage across the house. Those bedrooms will be vacant 99% of the time so not too fussed about having ethernet e.t.c. :)

The only thing I would say after converting a lot of sockets some time back is that they use power when not in use and USB power output isn't as good as plugin charger. And you might need a deeper backbox.

Oh, and don't get the LAP ones from screwfix.

Shop around and go for for ones with the 3/3.1A sockets. They will draw a very small amount of power when not in use but under full load a 3A charger draws 15W so even with increased unit prices its not really worth worrying about; I'm not anyway.

Christ this thread got loads of replies after being dead :)

In any case I ended up removing aerial sockets and filling / sanding and whatnot so no evidence cable was ever there.

I didn't bother with USB faceplates as I don't trust them - as for LAP from Screwfix I used them in the past to replace old mains sockets (non-USB) and then removed and replaced with better ones - they looked and felt cheap, didn't inspire confidence :O

Have 1Gbit Fibre being installed this week and having WiFi 'mesh'(?) which should result in good coverage across the house. Those bedrooms will be vacant 99% of the time so not too fussed about having ethernet e.t.c. :)

Mesh can work well, I've got Future Fibre 500 and the Eero works extremely well and much better than the (very good) Sagem I had but two thirds of our home is two feet thick stone walls which is why I installed Cat points.

Stay Puft

Sorry to jump on this but as it's not a neat job, should get rid.
My house has proper arial sockets that all lead up to the loft. Gave one a tug but it wasn't moving as I had the idea of changing them to ethernet sockets for wired connections, which would be more useful than coax. But as I say, they didn't budge so didn't bother.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom