Do we even need 30GB discs for HD movies?

7hil

I recently saw an MP4 of a certain HD movie. The file size was 3.74GB. On a PS3 it showed up as an AAC soundtrack and AVC codec maxing out at about 6-7 mbps. I was blown away by the HD quality and detail from such a relatively small file.

It got me thinking, let alone having 50GB discs, do we even need 30GB ones? Could actually a very decent HD transfer exist on just a dual layer DVD? Is 50GB overkill?

Discuss! :)

JayX

No its not overkill at all, in fact its quite famous that King Kong had to lose its TrueHD soundtrack from the HDDVD version because there wasn't enough space. I bet if you played the mp4 you saw compared to source on a large screen you'd see the difference.

7hil

Where did that actually come from that KK had to loose the HD soundtrack because there wasn't enough space?

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Where did that actually come from that KK had to loose the HD soundtrack because there wasn't enough space?
Probably a BluRay forum :rolleyes: King Kong doesn't even use the full capacity of the 30GB disc - it weighs in at something like 26GB - plenty of space for further extras/soundtracks. At the time Universal wasn't putting TrueHD soundtracks on any discs.

As to the original post - I think the increased capacity of the new formats is important. I should imagine as the next gen codecs (AVC/VC1) mature we will see BD25/HD DVD30 become the standard - both offer ample space for an extended length film with lossless and lossy soundtracks. BD50 is largely overkill IMHO - a legacy mechanism enabling studios to stick with MPEG2 - but we will see benefits of it's use in future. It won't be in PQ improvements over what can be fitted on a 30GB disc though. :nono:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom