Do VM "activate" both coax cables?

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Broadband' started by JoeA, Jan 9, 2012.

1. JoeA

JoeA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I used to have VM about 5 years ago in a different house. The set up there was two separate coax cables running up to the house, one going to the TV box downstairs, and one going upstairs which we connected to the modem for internet access.

I dont currently subscribe to VM, but I live in a house which has been cabled for VM, and has two separate coax cables running up to the house, but they have only connected one, which goes through the wall downstairs and is terminated on the inside wall by the TV. The second cable is just a small coil with bare ends on the outside wall.

Ideally I would like to get the second unused coax cable up the side of the house and going into the bedroom where the computer is located, and I am more than happy to do this extension myself.

My question is, if I were to only get internet access (no TV) through VM, would they send the signal down both coax cables, or just one? Or does that fact that one cable is not connected mean that it would need to be "initialised" in some way, and so would not work anyway if I tired to extend it myself?

If both cables are "active" and just require the modem to be connected to either one of them, is there anything else I should know before trying to extent this second bare-ended coax cable?

Cheers for any advice,

2. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    When you enter into meaningful discussions with VM about installation, they will use either or neither to locate the router where you want it. there is usually only one router on the end of a line.

If the currently unused coax becomes active, it certainly wouldn't have a "bare end".

Why don't you tell us what you have in mind and we'll try to help you.

3. JoeA

JoeA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I mean is, I'm trying to avoid having to pay an installation fee, as you only seem to get "free" installation when you buy a package of products, and I only want internet.

Plus as I already have one terminated cable coming into my house, I imagine Virgin think that I dont require any installation. As far as they are concerned Im already connected and they just need to flip the switch.

But as there is this second unterminated co-ax cable outside my house, which I am more than capable of extending and terminating myself into the upstairs computer room, I thought this might be a good way to get the internet cable into the room I want.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,126
    Virgin do not have separate and individual feeds for each and every service you subscribe to them for. One digital coax feed plus a telephone line is all that enters a household from outside and from VM's fibre optics box on the street. This one coax feed carries both cable TV and internet services. Virgin split the feed inside your home if you require connection to multiple STBs and/or cable modems.

If you've an existing VM coax coming into your home, it is this that provides all services and you need to use this to feed your VM cable modem. You can connect to it and feed the wire outside, but you must connect to the main feed that already comes into your home.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012