Do upscaling DVD Players benefit S-Video output quality?

Toto Man

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm relatively new to this forum, so apologies if this has been asked in the past.

On my current setup, I have a standard definition DVD player hooked upto my Toshiba 48-inch CRT Rear Projection TV via 4-pin S-Video. I am extremely impressed with the quality and sharpness of the picture. But would I notice an improvement if I bought an upscaling DVD Player and hooked it up the same way? Or does upscaling only benefit component signals? (My TV has only 4-pin S-Video, SCART, and RCA Composite connections, no Component).

Thanks,

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
SVideo will only carry standard definition TV. Any upscaling in your source will have its output limited to HD MI and/or component. And in any case, whatever the upscaled resolution is - your TV will need to be able to handle it. Can it?

M

Mitchaa

Upscale only works with HDMI cable and will upscale from 480-720. (If your tv is HD ready 768p) If you have a 1080p television, it will obviously upscale to 1080p

Thats the way i understand it anyway.

badbob

Banned
Upscaling also works via Component.
If you're using S-video and a standard TV then upscaling features will not be used, even if you use SCART RGB.

I doubt you'll notice difference between a Toshiba DVD player that's a few generations old, to a new Oppo 981 with SCART RGB.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom