Question Do TVs with DVB-T2 tuners built in, automatically receive HD channels over aeriel?

Photon89

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm in the UK. This is the TV I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SMLNX4G/

There is no Freeview HD service apparently, but it's not clear to me if that means it will only be able to receive SD channels out of the box. Does it mean it will see less HD channels than if it had Freeview HD built in, or none at all?

To ask this in another way: will I need a separate Freeview box to access the 15 HD channels, even though the TV itself has a tuner that is technically capable of receiving HD broadcasts?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
It does have a DVB-T2 tuner according to one of the questions answered by TCL UK.
So it will receive all SD and HD channels.
It does not have “Freeview Play” (Google it).

It does have a DVB-T2 tuner according to one of the questions answered by TCL UK.
So it will receive all SD and HD channels.
It does not have “Freeview Play” (Google it).
Yes, I saw that answer from TCL and wanted to make sure I understood the distinction. Some TVs advertise that they have "Freeview HD" in their marketing blurbs, while this one didn't (even though it has the DVB-T2 tuner).

My confusion stemmed from the fact that they don't make it explicit anywhere that you can get all the Freeview HD channels, even though you don't get the extra on-demand features from "Freeview Play" — you have to know that having a DVB-T2 tuner is basically synonymous with "Freeview HD".

Even Freeview's own site doesn't make it clear that DVB-T2 is all you need — it makes it sound like TVs need to have some special stamp of approval from Freeview themselves: Freeview HD | Freeview

Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
The tuner captures the content of the broadcast channel.
The receiver must be able to operate to show the content and Freeview goes beyond that e.g. interactive graphics, scheduling recordings and playing them back with various protection options.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom