Do tv aerials lose strength/signal over a distance?

GordyBoy69

Standard Member
Reaction score
Good evening.

I'm using my boyfriend's account so please excuse me ignorance.

I've looked at the other threads recommended and had a look through the first few pages on this Sub-Forum but no joy.

To cut a long story short:

Moved into a new flat which has 1 aerial coming into the building (living room)

We have ran that to the back of the TV in the living room, all is well.

We have then added a splitter (white box that looks like a Y) to the rear of the TV and plugged another aerial into that.

It has ran a distance of 15-20m into the bedroom. There is one connection in this link (between living room TV and bedroom TV, one cable is 10m, the other approx 5)

We do not get a signal in the bedroom at all, no matter what we do.

When I move the TV into the hall (where connection is) and plug it into the aerial I get a stuttering picture. When I unplug the splitter from the living room TV the picture is fine.

So I can only presume that the signal deteriorates over distance/connections?

Would an aerial booster solve this?

I hope this makes sense :D

So I can only presume that the signal deteriorates over distance/connections?

Would an aerial booster solve this?

The biggest loss of all occurs by [passively] splitting the signal.

Each arm of the split gets slightly less than half of the original signal.
There is a loss in the splitter itself.
There is loss in every piece of cable and a loss in every connection.

Evidently these losses are too great for your circumstances.

Yes - although not the ideal... an active splitter should solve the problem.

An active splitter is what I shall look for.

Any recommended brands?

Thanks, your help has been invaluable.

An active splitter is what I shall look for.

Any recommended brands?

I do not have any particular recommendations.

Most items on this page would do the job.

Other members may have recommendations.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
These splitters only work one way round. The aerial MUST connect to the base of the Y. The 2 TV's connect to the tails. From your description you are plugging the base in to the TV, aerial into one tail and 2nd TV into the other. Very little signal flows from one tail to the other.

To connect the aerial to the base you will need a back to back adapter. Then a short flylead to local TV and your other lead to the other room.

Signal loss occurs in the cable as well, especially the very thin and flexible type you often get with 'extension kits' in hardware shops. You can get much better quality cables from proper suppliers together with the required plugs so you can cut the cables to the right lengths. The right stuff is thicker and less flexible than the cheap lossy stuff you often get pre-packed but you should not get any significant loss even over several tens of metres.

btIcx.jpg

The red circle is what I have plugged into my TV with the other two ends, the main aerial runs into one then the other obviously extends to the bedroom.

I bought one of these:

SLx 27840R/01

No joy!

Should I be trying other brands etc of signal booster? Is this even the correct thing I should have purchased?

The red circle is what I have plugged into my TV with the other two ends, the main aerial runs into one then the other obviously extends to the bedroom.

I bought one of these:

SLx 27840R/01

No joy!

Should I be trying other brands etc of signal booster? Is this even the correct thing I should have purchased?

Unfortunately wrong on both counts.

The incoming aerial should be going into the red-circled connection... and the two TV's fed from the remaining two arms respectively.

If wired correctly you may find it works.... if there is enough signal strength to start with.

If you still have problems then you would need a booster with at least two outlets... although it is conceivable to use a single output device like this by feeding the incoming aerial to the booster input... then feeding the booster output to the splitter input [red] ... with the split arms going to each TV as before.

If you use a splitter with two outputs, the splitter is not required.
The incoming aerial goes to the booster input and each output serves one TV

I bought one of these:

SLx 27840R/01

No joy!

Did you read my post no 5? Did you read Rodders post no 6?

I repeat. These ONLY WORK ONE WAY ROUND. The aerial connects to the red circle via a back to back adapter. The other 2 go to the TV's.

Thanks again.

A trip to Maplin shall be had at lunch.

Thanks again.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/metal-coax-coupler-1624 or if no stock, http://www.maplin.co.uk/coax-coupler-with-female-connections-1620 is what you need to join the aerial to the splitter (red) together.

You may also need a short aerial plug to plug 'fly lead' to feed the main TV set (if you don't have one spare already). You may also find these things in 'pound stores' and d-i-y sheds at lower prices than Maplins.

The booster should have worked (plugged into the mains, of course) with the aerial plugged into 'input' and the splitter plugged into 'output'. The bedroom lead into one socket of the splitter and a fly-lead to the lounge TV in the other. {Start with gain control at minimum}. [10dB to 20dB of gain is rather high and may - even at minimum - be too much if the signal from the aerial is strong, though.]

:clap::thumbsup::smashin::clap::thumbsup::smashin:

I just love watching Bargain Hunt in the bedroom.

Thanks guys.

Absolute legends.

You've sorted it then... but with just the splitter connected properly, or needing the amplifier you tried before or another amplifier? (for academic interest only).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom