Do Thomson still make Sky HD boxs?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Kirby, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Kirby

Kirby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi if I sign up now guys do I still run the risk of getting a thomson sky hd box? Im not the Samsung fanboy my sig makes me out to be :rotfl: its just I have been told these units are a hell of a lot better. Can I demand on the phone I want a samsung box only?

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
    You can try , and you might get it , but they are under no obligation to supply a particular type of box , usually you get what they have in the Van , and yes Thompson do still make them.

3. Kirby

Kirby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ok thank you Andy I will give it a shot :smashin: plus it never hurts to politly ask the engineer installing what they have on the van when they come out, I am a firm believer that if you treat people like human beings they do likewise.

4. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    All the HD boxes are built to (basically) the same specification at a very cheap price. Because of the cheap build, the components used tend to have larger tolerances, or carry more defects, than had the same design been built to a higher price.

So if you're lucky, all the components are slap bang in the middle of the design tolerance range and your box is effectively as good as one made for twice as much. The reverse of that is that you have a box with lots of components at the edge of the tolerance range, and your box exhibits strange behaviour.

The above applies to Thomsons and Samsungs (and the others). You will read about more problems with Thomsons, simply because there are more of them about.

James

5. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    I haven't seena Thomson install direct from Sky in months. Indies may still have boxes in stock that are Thomsons but every Sky supplied box sicne before Xmas hads been either Amstrad, Pace or Samsung.