Do the new pioneers create chapters when using firewire?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by azzo, Aug 18, 2004.

1. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just wanted to know if anybody is capturing video using firewire on the new pioneers?
    If so does the machine automatically create chapters when the scenes change?
    Thanks
    Azzo.

2. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is what the manual says:

"• HDD and DVD-RW (VR Mode) only: A chapter marker is inserted every time there is a break in the timecode on the DV tape. This happens when the recording is stopped or paused then restarted, for example."

I think it means that chapters are inserted according to recordings on the tape.

3. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I'm capturing video using firewire, but on Pioneer DVR-5100H-S.

This model does create a chapter mark when the scenes change, meaning, when there is a break in the timecode on the DV tape. I think the same happens with new models (at least I've checked in 520 model manual and it says this model also does it).

Please take in consideration that, in pioneer 5100, there is a limit of 99 chapter marks per title (when you capture video from firewire, from a miniDV camcorder, you get 1 title with one chapter mark per each break in timecode, up to the limit of 99 chapter marks per title).

I think that in new pioneer models the limit is also 99 chapter marks per each title (I've checked in 520 model manual and it says that the limit is also 99).

Please take also in consideration, that if you plan to create a title per each scene, like I do (just to have a tumbnail in the DVD menu), and you use that chapter marks to position in the title to aply the "divide title" function, for sure you will not get 100% of accuracy, meaning that in each title you create (scene) there will be some images of the next scene.

But, if you want you can then erase all these small group of images at the end of each title (scene) you have created (using "divide title" and then "erase title" funcions, or in "Chapter edit", using "divide chapter" and "erase chapter" functions). I really didn't do that, in almost 10 DVDs that I've created from miniDV tapes so far, but honestly I think I will do that in the next ones, just because is a litle annoying when you play one title to have some scenes of the next one at the end of it (there is a litle pause in the transition for the next title, so when it pauses it does it in a image of the next scene (title)).

If you don't want a title per each scene, you will get one title with all the chapter marks at the right positions, and the DVD play will be smooth without any pause at chapter transitions. Note: When you burn to DVD, these chapter markers are only kept if you use high speed copy (bit per bit copy). If you do a real time copy you will lose these chapter marks.

And by the way, you should do all the editing in "Copy lists", and not on the HDD (if you plan to have a model with HDD).

Hope that helps.

Best regards.

4. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This all great news! Do you guys bother with a PC to edit video or do you do all your edits on the DVD recorder.
    Ideally I would like to capture onto DVD and edit on a PC without loosing the timecode changes so I can insert transitions easy. Why you might ask? Well it will allow me convert the mini dv format into DVD format which takes about 3 hours on my machine for an hours footage and should take an hour on the DVD recorder.
    I will be looking at one with a HD.

Thanks for your replies.
    Azzo.

5. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All my editings are made on the DVD recorder.

Best regards