Do the controllers charge when the PS3 is off?

Ari

Standard Member
Reaction score
Exactly that really, if I want to charge a controller, do I need to leave the machine switched on or will it charge left switched off?

I'm pretty sure the USB ports are powered when the consoles in standby specifically to charge to pads, but I don't use my PS3 much so for the life of my I can't remember.

Last edited:
Exactly that really, if I want to charge a controller, do I need to leave the machine switched on or will it charge left switched off?

If the systems is switch off then no..

but what you can do is set your ps3 to shut down on it's own after 1hr(a feature that was added a few firmwares back). which is more then enough time to charge your pad.

make sure you leave it on the XMB screen and not playing a game.

or you can use any other usb that gives out power i.e
pc wii usb plugged charger

Last edited:
Ah, thank you. Good idea about plugging it into a PC to charge, hadn't thought of that.

An hour for a full charge is pretty good too and worth knowing, thank you.

I use my Virgin V+ box as its USB is permanently powered :)

Is there a usb at the back? I was thinking of getting one of those PS3 head sets but leaving it to charge was an issue. Plugging it in the back of the V+ box would be problem solved!

Is there a usb at the back? I was thinking of getting one of those PS3 head sets but leaving it to charge was an issue. Plugging it in the back of the V+ box would be problem solved!

Yeah there is one and as it isn't used for anything it would be rude not to charge from it. I used to have a USB lava lamp connected but now have my PS3 controller.

As above, mine has a short USB cable attached to and is usually plugged into the headset cradle .. but that gets unplugged to charge my controllers/keypad when necessary. Simple solution, and saves me having an ugly USB cable sticking out the front of the PS3 (why did they not put a port on the back of the PS3 to save the front from have to look like this with cables sticking out .... even worse with GH and rockband dongles sticking out !!!!!!!)

That's a brilliant idea!! And my Sky+ HD box has one too.. :clap:

Does it work on the Sky one though? On my Sky +, the one on the front of the box doesnt work.

I dont remember if there is one on the back of the box.

Does it work on the Sky one though? On my Sky +, the one on the front of the box doesnt work.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "work". I have heard people say that they provide power, but can not be used as a USB port (cos the sky OS has no USB support). So you can power things but not actually use the usb connectivity.

BTW: there have been various discussions about whether the port is always powered, or only when the box is not in Standby ... I have no idea about that as I don;t have one, but it should take about 1 min to test out :)

Sky+ box wont charge the pad but will charge other devices, go figure :rolleyes:

Sky+ box wont charge the pad but will charge other devices, go figure :rolleyes:

My old Pace Sky+ box charged both my controllers sitting in one of these via the rear USB not the front. My new SkyHD box also charges them :thumbsup:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
my pace hd box dont, either front or rear:confused:

funny thing is neither of mine did initially when i plugged them into the rear USB port of box on standby. Now I can't remember exactly what i done; whether it was to switch controller on and off or the Sky box on and off but it suddenly started working and has done ever since :thumbsup:

I'll try the ones on the back of the Sky box over the weekend, the front one certainly didnt charge my ipod the other day.

How do you even know if the pad is being recharged? I have an iPhone usb plug next to the sofa, but plugging the DS3 in seems to get no response.

My 360 plug 'n' charge kit works fine in the same socket.

I have no idea if this works , but did you try pressing the PS3 button on the pad to see if it wakes up the USB controller chip on the SkyBox ?
I know that the USB ports are disabled (firmware wise) on the Sky box, but its possible that the pad attempting negotiate down the USB *might* just wake up the USB controller enough to supply a little power .... Just a thought ...

I have no idea if this works , but did you try pressing the PS3 button on the pad to see if it wakes up the USB controller chip on the SkyBox ?
I know that the USB ports are disabled (firmware wise) on the Sky box, but its possible that the pad attempting negotiate down the USB *might* wake up the USB controller enough to supply a little power .... Just a thought ...

I did try that, but no joy unfortunately.

Cheers.

or you can use any other usb that gives out power i.e pc wii usb plugged charger
Is that right? I plugged it into my laptop and it done nothing, no flashing lights or anything.....?

Is that right? I plugged it into my laptop and it done nothing, no flashing lights or anything.....?

I've noticed you need to wait a while before it starts flashing.

Not sure if laptop USB's are different from that on PC's though. It does work on my PC if it is switched on.

It doesn't work in our VBox.

Mt Thomson HD wont charge either - the blue light on the bottom of the dock lights up but it doesn't appear to be enough to charge the controller

How do you know how much charge the controller has? There should be like a battery indicator somewhere, I would have thought...

So the controller doesn't charge in stand-by? That's kind of silly.

Final thing: why dont downloads continue in the background if you are playing a game? I notice the download stops (for instance a demo), then resumes once I finish playing, whereas if i'm surfing or doing anything else, the download will continue in the background. Surely they could update the software.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom