Do surround and other speakers still need good cable?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by gavinhunt`, Apr 23, 2007.

1. gavinhunt`

gavinhunt`

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm current channelling my wall in readiness to put in some Kef ceiling speaker that will act as my surround speakers. I've run lengths of QED Silver Ann XT cable for the main speakers and zone 2. But I thought I'd check I wasn’t wasting money or great wire on the surrounds?

Do the surrounds (ceiling mounted) and the sub still get the benefits of good cable? I think the answer should be yes but I'd thought I'd check.

2. Mrhappy37

Mrhappy37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi, Yes any half decent speaker will benefit from decent cable. Years ago I had a cheap stack system, the whole thing was total rubbish but was all I could afford at the time. To try and upgrade it I put QED 79 strand speaker cable on it. The difference was outstanding, so on your system it is definately worth using reasonably decent cables.
    Hope this helps,
    Clyde:smashin:

3. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    yes spend as much as your budget can handle on the speaker cables it makes all the differance :thumbsup:

4. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think there are quite a number of folks (including me) who would disagree with this statement. Certainly moving from bell-wire up to something with more cross-sectional area will make a difference. But, the law of diminishing returns kicks in very very hard after that. So, something like 2.5mm2 mains cable will do a super job, as will a couple of runs of Cat5 network cable (what I used for my surrounds). And, there are plenty of sensibly priced cables sold as speaker cables that will also do the trick. But, unless you have a very exotic system (including exotic ears) spending mega-bucks is a waste of time.

See here for more info (this on use of CAT5 etc. but covers the subject well.

Cheers

Greg

5. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    i still say spend what you can its abit like putting mini wheels on a ferrari it wont do what it supposed to ..cables in my mind do make a differance i have tried van den hul van /nordost /chord /kimber etc/ i can here the differance between them all but this is on a system worth over £20.000 so im not so sure on smaller systems .. but still would stick by my guns (imoa) speaker cables seems to make the most differance where cables like xlr balanced dont seem as good upgrade i have paid £400 for 0.6 mtr of xlr cable and i have got an improvment but not a £400 upgrade ..:rolleyes:

6. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Excellent advice, the simplest way to get decent cable is to shift from bellwire up to 1.5mm2 - 2.5mm2 or 4.0mm2 speaker cabling. And doing so as cheaply as possible IMHO. To heap money on kit rather than the cables.

7. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    i cant get the logic so if you have a £4000.00 amp and a £4000 processor you guys are saying connect it with a piece of bell wire :eek: and it would work the same as connecting it with a quality cable with hundreds of silver strands :rolleyes: cant see it myself but still each to there own ..maybe all them quality cable companies are just out there for a laugh :suicide:

8. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    We were talking speaker cable. Between the processor and amp would be interconnect, and that does make (more of) a difference ... though still not gigantic. And on speakers I said NOT bellwire - that would be silly as it simply doesn't have enough cross-section.

And on the existence of companies that sell snake-oil cable - well, no logic is required, just punters who will pay. They aren't in it for a laugh, they are in it for profit.

9. Mrhappy37

Mrhappy37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Gavin,
    A sensible place to start is a 79 strand speaker cable which is sold at maplins. This would be the minimum that I would use. From there onward its trial and error, but you WILL hear differences between cables, some more than others, and its up to you and your bugget where you stop.;)

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    Hello gavinhunt

I guess the answer is going to depend on if you believe a loudspeaker cable can act as a filter or not.

If you do then you need to ensure the cable you employ doesn't affect any frequencies in the operation range of the Surround channels in your system - if not then any bit of wire will do!

The fact that you've already installed a branded cable that you believe is worth its cost says you do believe in loudspeaker cable technology - and I'll bet if you install something 'less well reviewed' for Surround duties you'll always be wondering if you made the correct choice :)

Joe

11. Canti1982

Canti1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Out of interest what systems are people using to judge these cables?

I have a mid-high system and have tried some lower end cables and found them to be a little harsh or gernerally less composed.

Are people actually running mid to high systems with cheap £1.99 cable? and if you are have you asked a hifi shop if you can borrow some higher end cables to try?

I have tried changing the cables on a few systems, brothers, dads and my own and always found the cables to make a difference. The level of that difference seems to depend what kit your using and not all cables seem to work with all kit.

At the end of the day its up to you, and if you cant hear the difference then you have saved yourself hundreds of pounds ;)

12. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    :rolleyes:

13. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    2x1.5mm2 to 2x4.0mm2 CSA of copper is never near bellwire, in fact 1.5mm2 is probably 10 x 20 times the CSA of bellwire I have seen in my time. Who exactly above is saying connect it with bellwire ?